Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What do you have against poor Columbus??

Thats true... Better he take over the Leafs or the Canes.

I think this is wishful thinking on the Carolina fans' part, not to mention that the writer doesn't understand how salary retention works.

A player that has time to fill out and hone his skill, the former 2018 draft choice has tons of potential. For this reason, his value is still fairly high around the NHL. The contract is not ideal currently but it is seen as a "steal" if he finds his true potential down the line. For this season, the Canes may need to take on some of his contracts for the remainder of this season to trade him.

Hard to see anyone taking on six years of salary retention. And a reclamation project at $5M/year for six more years? I don't think there would be many GMs that would risk that. Maybe Carolina will buy him out at $800K/year for 12 years?

https://cardiaccane.com/posts/kotkaniemi-s-value-at-the-trade-deadline-01hr0t3defrf

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think this is wishful thinking on the Carolina fans' part, not to mention that the writer doesn't understand how salary retention works.

Hard to see anyone taking on six years of salary retention. And a reclamation project at $5M/year for six more years? I don't think there would be many GMs that would risk that. Maybe Carolina will buy him out at $800K/year for 12 years?

https://cardiaccane.com/posts/kotkaniemi-s-value-at-the-trade-deadline-01hr0t3defrf

Yup, he doesn't understand.  "his value is still fairly high"  LOL Not hardly. 

58 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yup, he doesn't understand.  "his value is still fairly high"  LOL Not hardly. 

If he were on a $2M contract for 2-3 years, there would be teams that would be happy to give it a shot, but not with the deal Waddell gave him.

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

If he were on a $2M contract for 2-3 years, there would be teams that would be happy to give it a shot, but not with the deal Waddell gave him.

And if Carolina takes the long-term but realistically low-cost buyout for a team that is never/rarely near the ceiling then there will be teams lining up to offer a short-term "show me" contract ... unlike many, if the Habs can dispose of Dvorak I would have no issue with Hughes being one of those GMs ... KK's issues were with the previous management team and he (his agent) exploited, to his/their advantage, an issue created by that management team offer-sheeting Aho.

Some of the issues were with the management team but some were also with Kotkaniemi's lack of maturity; he really did not improve significantly after moving south, either. Contrast him with Slafkovsky and the difference is super clear. Admittedly it might be different now, though.

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Some of the issues were with the management team but some were also with Kotkaniemi's lack of maturity; he really did not improve significantly after moving south, either. Contrast him with Slafkovsky and the difference is super clear. Admittedly it might be different now, though.

Wasn't arguing the for person or the player, just his signing with Carolina ... OBVIOUSLY any offer would have to be based on due diligence by Hugo.

On 2/29/2024 at 9:44 AM, alfredoh2009 said:

I agree With this

The fact that JD has any say in the next GM and isn't just hanging on to his job through the deadline is why Columbus will continue to suck. The organization needs to clean house and that starts from the top. Firing Jarmo was the right start, but JD and every other decision maker needs to go at the end of the season. Nothing changes if he just keep letting the same decision makers move the deck chairs around.

14 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

The fact that JD has any say in the next GM and isn't just hanging on to his job through the deadline is why Columbus will continue to suck. The organization needs to clean house and that starts from the top. Firing Jarmo was the right start, but JD and every other decision maker needs to go at the end of the season. Nothing changes if he just keep letting the same decision makers move the deck chairs around.

That he hasn't hired anyone ***MAY*** indicate that they plan to clean house at seasons' end ... but I wouldn't bet on it ... less then three weeks after the NYRs dumped him, Preds owner John P. McConnell brought Davidson back to Columbus and gave him a 5-yr contract in May 2021.

2 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I always liked Timmins, an Ottawan like me. If not in CBJ, maybe the next opportunity somewhere else.

22 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I always liked Timmins, an Ottawan like me. If not in CBJ, maybe the next opportunity somewhere else.

Technically from Almonte in Lanark County ... 😉 ... he has been in the NHL for 31 years, 22-yrs since he was Director of Hockey Operations in Ottawa ... I am unaware of him ever getting a serious look at a GM job ... not certain he was even the sole A/GM with the Habs in his final 5-yrs ... time may have past hm by, even if he is "only" 56.

I’d really like to see Timmons as a GM. I always wondered if he was overruled on those questionable 1st round picks by GMs.  I always wanted to see his personal pre-draft rankings. I felt he found steals later, but GMs picked 1st round players and traded away 2nd round picks. Only way to know for sure is to give the guy a chance. 

3 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

... Only way to know for sure is to give the guy a chance. 

A long list of guys on in that group.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Technically from Almonte in Lanark County ... 😉 ... he has been in the NHL for 31 years, 22-yrs since he was Director of Hockey Operations in Ottawa ... I am unaware of him ever getting a serious look at a GM job ... not certain he was even the sole A/GM with the Habs in his final 5-yrs ... time may have past hm by, even if he is "only" 56.

I can't say for certain but I don't think he was the only AGM during his time with the Habs.  That change felt more like a promotion in title more than actual extra duties as he was still exclusively focused on the amateur side.  If he wants to be a GM, his best bet would be to actually go be an AGM somewhere.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I can't say for certain but I don't think he was the only AGM during his time with the Habs.  That change felt more like a promotion in title more than actual extra duties as he was still exclusively focused on the amateur side.  If he wants to be a GM, his best bet would be to actually go be an AGM somewhere.

Agreed he needs an A/GM slot ... I think at least Mellanby was one as well, maybe another as well.

On 3/4/2024 at 9:08 PM, GHT120 said:

And if Carolina takes the long-term but realistically low-cost buyout for a team that is never/rarely near the ceiling then there will be teams lining up to offer a short-term "show me" contract ... unlike many, if the Habs can dispose of Dvorak I would have no issue with Hughes being one of those GMs ... KK's issues were with the previous management team and he (his agent) exploited, to his/their advantage, an issue created by that management team offer-sheeting Aho.

I agree about KK and I had a similar thought earlier in the season regarding Danault.  At 1 point he was somewhat in the dog house with LA but that has since changed to Dubois.

I don't blame KK's agent though.  I tend to think that there was likely some semi-illegal interference by Waddell and his Fins.  ex: he probably told his Fins that he wanted to offer sheet KK and when they were in Finland over the summer they ran into KK and told him that.  It seemed like KK was holding out knowing that he would get an offer-sheet - and he knew exactly what team.  

6 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I agree about KK and I had a similar thought earlier in the season regarding Danault.  At 1 point he was somewhat in the dog house with LA but that has since changed to Dubois.

I don't blame KK's agent though.  I tend to think that there was likely some semi-illegal interference by Waddell and his Fins.  ex: he probably told his Fins that he wanted to offer sheet KK and when they were in Finland over the summer they ran into KK and told him that.  It seemed like KK was holding out knowing that he would get an offer-sheet - and he knew exactly what team.  

Nothing is illegal if it happened over the summer.

Carolina (and anyone else) could talk to KK as of July 1st that summer. 

Once you are RFA you can negotiate an offer sheet with any team.

The fact it took him til August to sign one when he could have signed 6 weeks earlier, suggests the opposite, there was no illegal tampering.

Its not like it was july 1st and hes free to talk to teams at noon, and hes signing paperwork at 12:15.  Those deals are always more suspicious to me.

8 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... I tend to think that there was likely some semi-illegal interference by Waddell and his Fins ...

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Nothing is illegal if it happened over the summer ... The fact it took him til August to sign one when he could have signed 6 weeks earlier, suggests the opposite, there was no illegal tampering.

My belief is that KK/his agent/Dundon/Waddell circumvented the CBA by signing a one-year RFA contract, but had agreed to the terms of the subsequent 8-year deal before the offer sheet was signed ... the agreement avoided KK being due a $6.1M qualifying offer in the summer of 2022, but made the offer sheet harder for MB to match by being artificially inflated ... AND ... allowed the second (total) contract AAV to be lower by making the actual length 9 years, two more than could have been provided in an offer sheet.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

My belief is that KK/his agent/Dundon/Waddell circumvented the CBA by signing a one-year RFA contract, but had agreed to the terms of the subsequent 8-year deal before the offer sheet was signed ... the agreement avoided KK being due a $6.1M qualifying offer in the summer of 2022, but made the offer sheet harder for MB to match by being artificially inflated ... AND ... allowed the second (total) contract AAV to be lower by making the actual length 9 years, two more than could have been provided in an offer sheet.

Yes, certainly possible, but who is to prove when that was discussed.  There is no evidence of tampering prior to July 1st, and even if there was, this happens with every team in the league. 

Your issue could be worth the league looking into (they won't but it should have been). 

The other issue of having Finnish players talk to KK.... meh.... 

• 3 weeks later...

This is a quote from ColHockeyNow from the beginning of January:

The 28 year old winger, playing on an $825k contract, has very clearly bought in to what the coaching staff has asked of him. 17 points in his last 22 games is nothing to sneeze at, but it’s his play without the puck that is earning him the extra ice-time. The effort is there on the backcheck, along the boards, and in the defensive zone. He’s heading to the dirty areas around the net, and playing all around smart hockey. Playing with two highly skilled guys who want to push the pace offensively, you can tell that when he’s the third guy back, he understands now that he has to play it safe just in case the puck turns back the other way. It can’t be all offense, all the time.

His skill with the puck never went away. You can see the one-touch passes to hit Nathan MacKinnon in stride on the breakout, and the give-and-go work with Mikko Rantanen, who almost looks surprised when Drouin gets the puck right back to him. Heck, even his shot looks much better than it did during his time in Montreal. In camp, Drouin emphasized that this is the healthiest he’s been in years, as he battled wrist issues with the Canadiens. That’s evident when you watch him play.

Since the article, Drouin is 6+20 in 31 games, and in total 14+32 in 68 games. Top-quality linemates and surely a more relaxed environment is working for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

This is a quote from ColHockeyNow from the beginning of January:

Since the article, Drouin is 6+20 in 31 games, and in total 14+32 in 68 games. Top-quality linemates and surely a more relaxed environment is working for him.

and a coaching staff that believes in him :)

Thats pretty much the same PPG as he was doing in Montreal.  Hes just stayed healthier.

Hes always had talent.

It was best for both sides to move on as the situation was toxic in Montreal though.

14 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

and a coaching staff that believes in him :)

He averaged 15 minutes a game in 2022-23 and over 17 minutes the year before.

The coaching staff believed in him.

Really the unfounded attacks on the coaching staff are old and tiresome, you could at least lay off now with Marty's family situation.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

It was best for both sides to move on as the situation was toxic in Montreal though.

I think so, too. The chorus of complainers was extremely strong, and Drouin would have been unlikely to ever be able to meet those fans' expectations.