Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

I’d go so far as to say the management and coaching staff had too much belief in Drouin, not the opposite as was stated in previous post.

He was brought in with high expectations, traded for a big piece to get him here, moved to C, playing  PP1 and top 6.

The extra pressure from this belief is likely what led to his mental health issues (could have contributed to physical well being also) and exit from Mtl.

He wa definitely no victim in Mtl and anyone trying to paint it that way either has an agenda or doesn’t know squat.

Drouin was given every opportunity to succeed in Montreal. As it turned out he didn't have the mental toughness to survive in a market where the spotlight is intense. Colorado is likely the perfect spot for him, far away from the glare of the media and fans while also being able to play on a team with talented offensive players. Sometimes a change of scenery is just what a player needs as it was in this case. 

Another factor with Drouin is that he is only making 825K this year.  Lower expectations and pressure on a player who is making close to the minimum and that can make it easier for a player when he doesn't have the pressure of living up to a big contract. 

Next year will be different as Drouin will likely be expecting a decent raise after a 50+ point season and Colorado definitely won't have the funds to give him any sort of raise (ie. have to sign Middlestadt, maybe Landeskog is off LTIR, Rantanen a year from UFA status). He could be in an entirely different situation with more pressure unless he is willing to sign for the minimum again in Colorado which I doubt will happen. 

Drouin was a good soldier, when he was moved to center he said he was not comfortable there but that he would do it to help the team. I believe that is the season he got smacked in the wrists and played through that until he couldn't.

He was not big or physical to power though face-offs. He was screwed then by coaching and screwed by management when he came back too early on a few occasions. It was only when Ducharme was hired that there was a concerted effort to do right by Drouin but that whole episode did not pan out not because of Drouin due to Ducharme's own struggles.

Under MSL Drouin played well, he improved all season but it was already determined he would not be re-signed.

I am surprised not more remember that.

3 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

He wa definitely no victim in Mtl and anyone trying to paint it that way either has an agenda or doesn’t know squat.

I don't think anyone claimed he was a victim, although he was certainly frequently scapegoated by fans. But his circumstances are different now, and he is showing himself as a credible top-six winger. I wish this had happened in Montreal, but as Commandant noted, the situation had become toxic. I wish him all the best in Colorado, or wherever he may be next year.

16 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Under MSL Drouin played well, he improved all season but it was already determined he would not be re-signed.

I am surprised not more remember that.

He improved all season?  He scored two goals last year.  Two.  In 58 games.  Yes, he had some assists and was okay most nights but, again, two goals.  When you're one of the highest-paid forwards on the team, it's hard to put improved and two goals in the same sentence.

• Upvote 1

He did so much better under Ducharme?  Wasn't it under Ducharme that he had to leave the team for half the season and the run to the Cup Final. 

Lets be clear, I'm not blaming Ducharme for that.  It's not his fault.  But its curious to say he was "better" under DD when he wasn't even on the team for a huge and important stretch of time. 

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He improved all season?  He scored two goals last year.  Two.  In 58 games.  Yes, he had some assists and was okay most nights but, again, two goals.  When you're one of the highest-paid forwards on the team, it's hard to put improved and two goals in the same sentence.

He was injury to start ths season, day-to-day with a wrist injury. Then Nov 15 to Dec 14 he was out with an upper boddy injury. He was hurt again from Jan 17 to Feb 10 and missed a couple of days mid-March.

IN March, once he was healthy he improved, to the point when some on this board were commenting that maybe the Habs should offer him a PTO or a minimum salary contract. I made the point at that time that the organization and him were walk away at the end of his contract. I think I even posted comments from journalists saying something similar. I know there was chatter about it.

I am happy for him in COL, I wish him well.

image.png

Darn shame KK is the 14th highest scorer... on Carolina.

Smug smartass Carolina owner likely not so pleased with that deal. 

image.png

image.png

23 hours ago, DON said:

Darn shame KK is the 14th highest scorer... on Carolina.

Smug smartass Carolina owner likely not so pleased with that deal. 

image.png

image.png

I heard or read somewhere, and I can't remember where, that Carolina may entertain the idea of buying out KK.  It would be a crazy buyout though, 6 more years @ $4.8m on his current deal.  It would save Carolina $4m per season for the contract duration and cost about $850k for 6 more years after that, according to capfriendly

5 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I heard or read somewhere, and I can't remember where, that Carolina may entertain the idea of buying out KK.  It would be a crazy buyout though, 6 more years @ $4.8m on his current deal.  It would save Carolina $4m per season for the contract duration and cost about $850k for 6 more years after that, according to capfriendly

With the salary cap increasing next season and expected to continue (to whatever degree) in years to come it may be a viable option ... I also expect that if the buyout happens, more than a few teams would offer him a bury-able one, maybe two, year contract to prove the 'Canes bailed too soon ... I-M-O his issues are between the ears, not below the neck.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

Right. The buyout would be cheap because he's not yet 25. And maybe another team would give him a shot at a much lower salary. Or maybe he'd take his money, move back to Finland and be a top player in Liiga.

On 3/25/2024 at 6:18 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

He was injury to start ths season, day-to-day with a wrist injury. Then Nov 15 to Dec 14 he was out with an upper boddy injury. He was hurt again from Jan 17 to Feb 10 and missed a couple of days mid-March.

IN March, once he was healthy he improved, to the point when some on this board were commenting that maybe the Habs should offer him a PTO or a minimum salary contract. I made the point at that time that the organization and him were walk away at the end of his contract. I think I even posted comments from journalists saying something similar. I know there was chatter about it.

I am happy for him in COL, I wish him well.

I'm aware of the injuries.  I'm aware that he was serviceable at the end of the season.  But two goals in 58 games does not constitute improvement throughout the season (unless you're a goalie, then that would be impressive...).

28 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Gallagher for KK at 50% retained?

Will never happen of course but I would bite

Who is retaining?

Not interested in KK at, effectively, $8.075 ($4.82+$3.25) for three seasons, but Carolina might take Gallagher at $3.25, saving $1.57M over KK.

Now, if KK is bought out AND Dvorak gets moved, I could accept KK and Evans fighting it out for NEXT season's 3C/4C spots.

Drouin was garbage with us, the end.

And excuse me for not thinking he is the second coming of Jaromir Jagr because he's had the great good fortune to be playing on a line with two absolute monsters. I mean sure, he has held up his end well enough to not get demoted; kudos to him for that. But his presence on that line frankly says more about the Avs' lack of depth* than it does Drouin.

*I don't mean they're a bad team, just that apart from their insanely incredible stars they are in that position of filling in holes with spare parts. Like Drouin. 

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Who is retaining?

Not interested in KK at, effectively, $8.075 ($4.82+$3.25) for three seasons, but Carolina might take Gallagher at $3.25, saving $1.57M over KK.

Now, if KK is bought out AND Dvorak gets moved, I could accept KK and Evans fighting it out for NEXT season's 3C/4C spots.

Yeah I meant Carolina retaining 50% on KK instead of buying him out. 

Would never happen anyway 

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

As an under 25, Carolina can buy out KK at 33% spread out over 2x thr years... so effectively 16.6%.

They have no reason to retain 50%

More rules that I didn’t know until now!

Your hockey knowledge is amazing Commandant

36 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Since KK doesn't turn 25 until July 6, 2025 the 'Canes could give him another season and still benefit from the 33% buyout ... unless they have specific plans for the $3.985M this summer.

44 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Since KK doesn't turn 25 until July 6, 2025 the 'Canes could give him another season and still benefit from the 33% buyout ... unless they have specific plans for the $3.985M this summer.

As a team with Cup aspirations, they may well have better uses for that dough than sinking it into that piece of crap KK 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yes, some very knowledgeable people on this board who I have learned a lot from regarding salary stuff, buyouts etc. 

I decided to go to capfriendly to learn myself how it works. If you click on the player and then the line that says buyout contract, it breaks it down nicely for you. Didn't realize how cheap it would be to buy out KK although it is spread over a lot of years. 

Jesperi Kotkaniemi Buyout Results - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As a team with Cup aspirations, they may well have better uses for that dough than sinking it into that piece of crap KK 🤷‍♂️

Depends entirely on whether they feel he still has the upside that led them to sign the (I-M-O) illegally agreed to extension that was an unwritten part of the RFA offer sheet.