Habs-Golden Knights Series Discussion Thread

dlbalr

5 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

And I supposed your opinion doesn’t matter since you obviously can’t tell the difference between a fightin Irish gold helmet that has some semblance of taste behind it, and the car ornament pieces of shit the knights wear.

Enough with the personal insults towards other posters.  This is your last warning.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dlbalr said:

With cross-border travel permitted, there is no longer a Canada-only group of officials.  The good news is that we'll see some different officials now.  The bad news is that Chris Lee somehow made the cut for the third round.

https://scoutingtherefs.com/2021/06/31850/nhl-announces-2021-stanley-cup-semifinal-referees-and-linesmen/

Normally that name would cause me angst but the officiating has been poor across the board so business as usual 

8 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

No, I don’t call for help because I’m a grown, competent human who is confident in my approach to any challenge. Like any NHL coach should be, like his players haven’t heard about this as well and wonder same issues brought up on this board.

My gf ain’t still friends with my opponent whom as noted haven’t had a close relationship in over a decade, I’d be creeped out by that dirt bag calling her up to pick my brain about anything. #### him, sleeve ball.

And I supposed your opinion doesn’t matter since you obviously can’t tell the difference between a fightin Irish gold helmet that has some semblance of taste behind it, and the car ornament pieces of shit the knights wear.

I guess they shouldn't be scouting the Habs or watching game tape either, since they should all just be so confident in their own game. You can bet any Vegas players who know players on the Jets have been in touch to get the low down on the Habs. This is 2021. Players talk to players from other teams and coaches talk to coaches from other teams. 

Your old friend is somehow your opponent and now he is calling your girlfriend to pick your brain? I'm afraid you've lost me with this analogy.

Notre Dame has a little bit of texture on their helmets, but they are every bit as shiny as the Vegas helmets.

image.png

9 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

FB_IMG_1623576000853.jpg

Kind of creepy, but Habs have the best playoff PK (90.3%) & 2nd best goals against/game (2.18) and #31 will be key player again for sure.

2 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I guess they shouldn't be scouting the Habs or watching game tape either, since they should all just be so confident in their own game. You can bet any Vegas players who know players on the Jets have been in touch to get the low down on the Habs. This is 2021. Players talk to players from other teams and coaches talk to coaches from other teams. 

Your old friend is somehow your opponent and now he is calling your girlfriend to pick your brain? I'm afraid you've lost me with this analogy.

Notre Dame has a little bit of texture on their helmets, but they are every bit as shiny as the Vegas helmets.

image.png

I really like that picture. If we make it to the finals I may change my avatar for that series 

Now, this is just amazing!

Go Habs Go!

On 6/12/2021 at 6:50 AM, DON said:

Suzuki(8pts) vs Pacioretty(8pts) 1 coming up!

Just hope Habs can somehow continue to keep winning races to pucks, simply outwork the opponent and Price plays solid.

Habs supposed to be golfing awhile ago, so its all bonus stuff now; but, will the bounces keep seemingly go their way? (aside from the Evans incident of course)

The best part of the Suzuki/Pacioretty comparison is that Suzuki is 21 while MaxPac is 32.  Suzuki will be racking up playoff points long after MaxPac is gone.  However I realize Vegas made this trade to win the cup in the short term so if they do win it it will have been a great trade for them.  Hopefully not this year.  Go Habs!

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 12:41 PM, tomh009 said:

If you feel that the Habs only won the two series due to lucky bounces, you are of course free to believe that.

And Scheifele making a stupid move and getting suspended is fundamentally not any different from Gallagher taking a bad penalty or Gustafsson making a mistake that leads to a goal. Except Scheifele's mistake cost him and his team a lot more. It's got nothing to do with luck, though.

I agree with most of that except the luck though.

The odds of a top player on a team doing something stupid enough to be suspended for 4 games was somewhat luck in that sense.  ex:  imagine if Habs had played the Oilers and Dryrecital elbow smashed Evans and was suspended for 4 games for a 1st offence.  Its basically unheard of for the 2nd best best player on a team to do something that stupid. 

Similar can be said with luck and the Leafs series too.  In Game 1 there was a terrible unfortunate fluke accident that injured their 2nd best player.  What are the odds of 1 of those incidents happening, let alone both?  I'd say there is a element of luck involved.

With Vegas, Pacioretty, Pietrangelo, Stone and Marchessault are all tied for 2nd.  If I were them, I wouldnt want to get any more points and be the definitive 2nd best player.  Apparently, things dont work out well for the Habs opponents 2nd best player.  It seems almost certain that in Game 1 something stupid will happen involving 1 of them and they'll miss the rest of the series.   

11 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

The odds of a top player on a team doing something stupid enough to be suspended for 4 games was somewhat luck in that sense.  ex:  imagine if Habs had played the Oilers and Dryrecital elbow smashed Evans and was suspended for 4 games for a 1st offence.  Its basically unheard of for the 2nd best best player on a team to do something that stupid. 

What Scheifele did had zero to do with luck. When he realized he could not stop that goal he could have let up but he didn't, he decided to finish the check with Jake in a vulnerable decision. He made a bad decision and it cost his team big time and his team not only lost his services but it made the Habs that much more determined and they dominated the series, Jets never recovered after game 1. 

When I think of luck I think of a shot that gets a lucky deflection and goes in the top corner. Of course you could also argue that you need to take shots at the net to get a little luck or that the defending player should never put his stick in a position to deflect. Sometimes you make your own luck and like someone said "the harder you work the luckier you get". Definitely some truth in that. 

12 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Similar can be said with luck and the Leafs series too.  In Game 1 there was a terrible unfortunate fluke accident that injured their 2nd best player.  What are the odds of 1 of those incidents happening, let alone both?  I'd say there is a element of luck involved.

With Vegas, Pacioretty, Pietrangelo, Stone and Marchessault are all tied for 2nd.  If I were them, I wouldnt want to get any more points and be the definitive 2nd best player.  Apparently, things dont work out well for the Habs opponents 2nd best player.  It seems almost certain that in Game 1 something stupid will happen involving 1 of them and they'll miss the rest of the series.   

We certainly didn’t get any suspension “luck” - and that’s what the NHL disciplinary wheel of fortune is - when Chara tried to murder Pactioretty. If anything “luck” went the Bruins way.

19 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

What Scheifele did had zero to do with luck. When he realized he could not stop that goal he could have let up but he didn't, he decided to finish the check with Jake in a vulnerable decision. He made a bad decision and it cost his team big time and his team not only lost his services but it made the Habs that much more determined and they dominated the series, Jets never recovered after game 1. 

When I think of luck I think of a shot that gets a lucky deflection and goes in the top corner. Of course you could also argue that you need to take shots at the net to get a little luck or that the defending player should never put his stick in a position to deflect. Sometimes you make your own luck and like someone said "the harder you work the luckier you get". Definitely some truth in that. 

There absolutely is luck involved with the NHL disciplinary Wheel of Fortune.

17 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

What Scheifele did had zero to do with luck. When he realized he could not stop that goal he could have let up but he didn't, he decided to finish the check with Jake in a vulnerable decision...

Why are the two mutually exclusive ... a bad decision on one side leading to the player's suspension can be good luck got the other (in the specific context of taking out their 1C).

19 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... When I think of luck I think of a shot that gets a lucky deflection and goes in the top corner...

By your personal definition then it wasn't luck ... but the actual definition is far broader.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There absolutely is luck involved with the NHL disciplinary Wheel of Fortune.

The greatest weakness in the alleged "system" of player safety

"Luck" is another reason why things like Corsi and xG are important.  The more times you are around the opposition's net, the more chance you will get that lucky bounce that goes in the net. 

If you have more time in the opponents zone, its more lottery tickets towards getting that lucky bounce. 

Again, lucky bounces happen, but you have to play well and take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves.  No team has won 4 out of 7 games on luck alone.

On 6/12/2021 at 8:03 PM, Commandant said:

Every playoff series in history has lucky bounces.  The teams that win are the ones who capitalize and take advantage of them when the opportunities present themselves. 

I was conceived during a luck bounce. :wacko:

• Like 1

Aristotle - "When events coincide with hopes and expectations they call it good "luck". When events do not coincide with hopes and expectations  ,they call it bad "luck". 

44 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

By your personal definition then it wasn't luck ... but the actual definition is far broader.

I am not saying it wasn't luck, just saying there are different ways of looking at things. What Scheifele did wasn't lucky for the Habs even though he got a suspension.  Jake Evans suffered his 3rd concussion in a young career which is a big concern. 

I would also venture to say that if Scheifele got zero games then the Habs would have still won the series easily as they would have been so motivated. 

So.. have I got this right... Is it Brother Andre's team against Sin City?  Are there hockey sticks among the crutches at St Joseph's  Oratory?

• Like 1

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am not saying it wasn't luck, just saying there are different ways of looking at things. What Scheifele did wasn't lucky for the Habs even though he got a suspension.  Jake Evans suffered his 3rd concussion in a young career which is a big concern. 

I would also venture to say that if Scheifele got zero games then the Habs would have still won the series easily as they would have been so motivated. 

Don't we all owe our existence and the existence of the Habs to lucky bounces? 

23 minutes ago, Toronthab said:

So.. have I got this right... Is it Brother Andre's team against Sin City?  Are there hockey sticks among the crutches at St Joseph's  Oratory?

no hockey sticks among the crutches on the Oratoir, Habs rely on a higher power than the luck of the draw :)

and of course, on Yvonne ;)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Toronthab said:

Is Yvonne the reason "Yeah!!" starts with a "Y"? 

And victory finishes with it.

Go Habs Go!

• Like 2