Habs-Golden Knights Series Discussion Thread

dlbalr

Dom L's predictive model gives the Habs a 24% chance of winning. Given that it bases player performance on the regular season rather than the playoffs (cough, cough, Carey Price, cough, cough) that's actually not bad at all. I would consider the Habs to be an underdog but with a solid chance to win this.

• Like 1

I was looking at the Vegas lineup and I think their top 2 defenseman are better than our top 2 but our top-4 is better than their top-4, if that makes any sense.  If the top 4 can continue to eat big minutes, I think the Habs had that advantage as long as the system can slow the foot speed of Vegas.  

I know one of the biggest stories is Pacoiretty, but we all saw how much of an outside shooter he becomes when faced with physicality.  I think this series will be a lot closer than everyone believes and it will come down to if the Habs can slow down the Knights or not.

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

Anderson is gonna need to produce in this series.  3 lines producing and the top line shutting down stone and pac, they could pull it off. 

Anderson caused leafs and peg fits. Both teams spent resources to shut him down. That’s the beauty of our team, 4 lines that can score. 

But I definitely agree we need some goals from him. 

4 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Vegas odds have Vegas 81% chance to win.

The first game is going to be interesting.  I hope the long lay off won’t kill the intensity Habs had going.  

Agreed about the long layoff. I think we have a 40% chance of wining this series.  Teh Golden Knight haven'T faced a goalie like Price yet!

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

At 5:1 I'd be tempted to put money on the Habs. They are far from a lock on this series but I think their odds should be better than that.

I have $100 on the Habs to win the Cup at 31-1 since the day they announced the divisions before the season started. I figured they could come out of the North and then it is anyone's guess from there. And yes I still think they have good odds if one were to place a bet 

5 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Vegas odds have Vegas 81% chance to win.

The first game is going to be interesting.  I hope the long lay off won’t kill the intensity Habs had going.  

The odds seem insane.  I read this in an article:

The Golden Knights, who finished second in the overall standings, 23 points higher than the 18th-ranked Canadiens, sit as the league's biggest third-round favourite in more than 30 years

🥴

1 hour ago, Habsfan said:

Agreed about the long layoff. I think we have a 40% chance of wining this series.  Teh Golden Knight haven'T faced a goalie like Price yet!

They haven’t faced a team like the Habs either.  A defensive, grinding, all 4 line can score, with great goaltending that can get in your head, type of team.  

Wth:

Maurice says he's talked with VGK coach DeBoer about the Habs

Apparently, Maurice says that DoBoer phoned him the next day early in the morning and actually woke him up asking about the Habs and they talked for several hours.

15 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Wth:

Apparently, Maurice says that DoBoer phoned him the next day early in the morning and actually woke him up asking about the Habs and they talked for several hours.

I don’t know how I feel about that, seems kinda slimy.

Can’t say I’ve heard of many coaches colluding, but it’s not like Maurice knew what to do about the Habs play so hopefully he passed on all of his “insight” haha.

Grew to hate the Jets, have a feeling I will soon hate the VGK, those golden helmets are atrocious.

Habs in 6, Go Habs Go !

4 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

I don’t know how I feel about that, seems kinda slimy.

Can’t say I’ve heard of many coaches colluding, but it’s not like Maurice knew what to do about the Habs play so hopefully he passed on all of his “insight” haha.

Grew to hate the Jets, have a feeling I will soon hate the VGK, those golden helmets are atrocious.

Habs in 6, Go Habs Go !

They played together for three years (85/86-87/88) with the Windsor Compuware Spitfires in the OHL, and coached together with the Detroit Junior Red Wings for a year (94/95) ... so they go way back ... also, don't think it is at all unusual if the coaches are friends.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

They played together for three years (85/86-87/88) with the Windsor Compuware Spitfires in the OHL, and coached together with the Detroit Junior Red Wings for a year (94/95) ... so they go way back ... also, don't think it is at all unusual if the coaches are friends.

Hmm, ok, that info makes it sound slightly better, but that practice still seems highly suspect.   It is possible that other Coaches might have done similar in the past.  However, that's the 1st time I have ever heard Coaches publicly admit to doing that.    

Hmm, I suppose that there is another way to view that too.

i.e. even if they are old friends, if the Vegas Coach needed to call the Jets Coach the very next morning after beating the Avalanche asking him for tips on how to beat the Habs, then the Habs are already in DeBoer's head, and Vegas has already lost the series.  That certainly sounds like its an act of desperation.  The odds are heavily in Vegas's favour, there was absolutely no need for DeBoer to do that.  

3 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

i.e. even if they are old friends, if the Vegas Coach needed to call the Jets Coach the very next morning after beating the Avalanche asking him for tips on how to beat the Habs, then the Habs are already in DeBoer's head, and Vegas has already lost the series.  That certainly sounds like its an act of desperation.  The odds are heavily in Vegas's favour, there was absolutely no need for DeBoer to do that.  

That is what I thought too

11 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

yeah, I get this view and think it stands up as well.

Poor DeBoer, he will find no solutions in Winnipeg.

I already dislike Mark Stone from his Ottawa days, he a feeling that is going to continue.