Shea Weber Career in Jeopardy, Ren Lavoie and Elliotte Friedman Report

Commandant

6 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Not sold on Hamilton in Montreal. He had a hard time in Boston and Calgary, I think the media will eat him alive much like they did to Drouin if he underperformers. 

I would look at making a trade and an interesting player could be Ristolainen. 1 year left on his contract. I would offer our 1st round pick and a prospect or another pick to buffalo for him.  I think in our system he would do really well. 

Montreal would be his 4th stop in  a relatively young career. Makes you wonder. If he was that valuable you would think teams would find a way to keep him. 

I think taking a year off to hopefully get healthy is a best route for Weber to go. Having a semi healthy guy using up 7.5 million in cap space is not ideal. 

9 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Not sold on Hamilton in Montreal. He had a hard time in Boston and Calgary, I think the media will eat him alive much like they did to Drouin if he underperformers. 

I would look at making a trade and an interesting player could be Ristolainen. 1 year left on his contract. I would offer our 1st round pick and a prospect or another pick to buffalo for him.  I think in our system he would do really well. 

I wouldn’t trade a 3rd for him.  You’re complaining about Drouin being an underperformed (which he is), and you are suggesting Ristolainen???

7 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Maybe he could be second pair -- but $5.4M is still steep. If Buffalo would retain some salary, that might work. Then negotiate a more reasonable extension contract.

But, even if he's capable of second pair, the reality is that we have too many second-pair D and not enough first-pair D (am counting Romanov in the second-pair group for now, at least).

I’d take him if Buffalo ate half of of his cap hit. But no would I even want to give up a 3rd foe a guy making that much money, but still would not address our biggest need.

21 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d take him if Buffalo ate half of of his cap hit. But no would I even want to give up a 3rd foe a guy making that much money, but still would not address our biggest need.

Scoring winger?

Two-way centre?

Puck-moving defenceman?

1B goalie?

:)

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Scoring winger?

Two-way centre?

Puck-moving defenceman?

1B goalie?

:)

Puck moving D (preferably one who will become our best dman) is our biggest need and it’s going to be the hardest hole to fill.

it would hurt to lose Allen,  but there are other backups available. More scoring is always nice, but if we could get a stud D and a decent quality backup, I’d be happy.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, REV-G said:

If it came down to Hamilton or Seth Jones....who would be the better fit? 

And if not either of these two, then who? 

Hamilton and its not even close.

Hamilton is an absolute stud who should have been nominated for the Norris.  I think the only reason he may leave carolina is that the owner wont meet his demands.  The Aho offer sheet could pay off after all.

Seth Jones is an average D who has been massively overrated. I dont want him even if we cant get Hamilton.  My plan B would be to split the 9 million (8 from weber and 1 extra for another roster spot we fill here) between Tyson Barrie and David Savard.

• Upvote 1

If we fail to replace Weber (I hope MB already have an unofficiall deal ready with Hamilton or someone but if not) what happens? Lose Danault, Weber and maybe also Allen. What will Price think? 

Hamilton is consistency itself and a genuine puck-mover. Exactly what the Habs need back there. Frankly, he would represent a major upgrade on what Weber brought this season (in pure hockey terms). I don’t know what the word is on his “character,” but his previous trades seem to have been a result of teams in cap trouble more than anything else.

I’d be a little worried about term and whether he’d be past his prime before a long-term contract expires, but that is a perpetual feature of going in on big-name UFAs.

I know Tyson Barrie has his detractors and is nowhere near Hamilton’s class. But I sure wouldn’t say no to his excellent puck-moving skills either, and I’m surprised he hasn’t been mentioned more in this context.

We have a window here to retool the D like we retooled the FW corps. Hopefully we can jump through it.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... I know Tyson Barrie has his detractors and is nowhere near Hamilton’s class. But I sure wouldn’t say no to his excellent puck-moving skills either, and I’m surprised he hasn’t been mentioned more in this context.

We have a window here to retool the D like we retooled the FW corps. Hopefully we can jump through it.

Signing Barrie would possibly/likely leave enough of "Weber's money" to be used as part/most of signing a 3rd pairing RHD good enough to allow it to be used 18+ minutes per game (or covering the AAV of a 3RHD acquired) ... perhaps especially important early in the season because of the short turnaround from the Finals to the new season.

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

My plan B would be to split the 9 million (8 from weber and 1 extra for another roster spot we fill here) between Tyson Barrie and David Savard.

Without looking to deep at it, I would Barrie and Savard at 9 million instead of Hamilton or Jones at 7-9 by themselves. I would love to have a puck mover on the left to make an elite top pairing, but I look at Tampa down the left side, I am coming around to loading up on one side.

I'm surprised, however, to see you want Savard. Aren't his metrics pretty bad?

2 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Without looking to deep at it, I would Barrie and Savard at 9 million instead of Hamilton or Jones at 7-9 by themselves. I would love to have a puck mover on the left to make an elite top pairing, but I look at Tampa down the left side, I am coming around to loading up on one side.

The issue is not just we aren’t even close to be loaded on either side with the same skill level Tampa has.

HYPOTHETICAL question, because I do not know ... Weber comes back for the playoffs but is ineffective ... injuries having simply taken away too much mobility/agility/skating ... he does not want to retire and wants to play (and might then not be LTIR eligible as he is physically capable of playing, just not at a decent level) ... but Habs cannot afford his cap-hit going forward ... his buyout next summer is HUGE for the first 4 years ($5,357,143, $7,357,143, $7,357,143, $7,357,143) then $500K for 4 more seasons ... the cap-hit on the buyout is undoubtedly so high because of recapture penalties ... would that be entirely on the Habs or would some revert to Nashville?

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The issue is not just we aren’t even close to be loaded on either side with the same skill level Tampa has.

True ... but the Habs have to work with what they have ... if you can't get a legit Weber replacement then doing their best to optimize the defence from top to bottom may be the best option.

24 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There would be teams with a better top 4, but only Tampa would be better down one side.

57 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

His metrics aren't great. 

Maybe its the recency bias.  My eye test said he was pretty good in the cup final. 

53 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

HYPOTHETICAL question, because I do not know ... Weber comes back for the playoffs but is ineffective ... injuries having simply taken away too much mobility/agility/skating ... he does not want to retire and wants to play (and might then not be LTIR eligible as he is physically capable of playing, just not at a decent level) ... but Habs cannot afford his cap-hit going forward ... his buyout next summer is HUGE for the first 4 years ($5,357,143, $7,357,143, $7,357,143, $7,357,143) then $500K for 4 more seasons ... the cap-hit on the buyout is undoubtedly so high because of recapture penalties ... would that be entirely on the Habs or would some revert to Nashville?

The buyout cap hit would land all on the Habs.  Its different than retiring.

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The buyout cap hit would land all on the Habs.  Its different than retiring.

As I feared ... seems like somewhat of a CBA inconsistency as the Habs only had two seasons of AAV advantage ... putting most of it back on Nashville would not be fair either, as they can't control the buyout, but some sort of sharing would seem to make sense ... but c'est la vie

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Being the competitor he is I expect Weber will hold out hope he can return for the playoffs, or perhaps the 2022-23 season ... but Dredger has hit the nail on the head ... Shea and he deserves the best possible far into the future ... if the surgery truly is for "quality of life" there would seem no possible argument for opposing LTIR.

8 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The writing is clear on the wall for Weber. 

He is done, he ain’t coming back. 

same was said for Markov after his _ SECOND _ knee operation, right?

I will be ok if Weber is on LTIR for a year and a half but comes back rested and good enought for bottom pair shutdown minutes. The salary cap hit will be high, but saving two years of that cap hit will even out things.

25 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

same was said for Markov after his _ SECOND _ knee operation, right?

I will be ok if Weber is on LTIR for a year and a half but comes back rested and good enought for bottom pair shutdown minutes. The salary cap hit will be high, but saving two years of that cap hit will even out things.

I think it was Friedman that said upcoming surgery was not about a comeback it was about trying to have a quality of life. 

Sounds really serious to me

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think it was Friedman that said upcoming surgery was not about a comeback it was about trying to have a quality of life. 

Sounds really serious to me

If the leaked information is from the Habs medical staff or one of the doctors Weber got a second opinion from, then yes I will join the panic stampede... but until then I'll keep some reservations

😷 🤪 😷 🙄 😷  😬 😷 🤕 😷 💀

42 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... I will be ok if Weber is on LTIR for a year and a half but comes back rested and good enought for bottom pair shutdown minutes. The salary cap hit will be high, but saving two years of that cap hit will even out things.

Having to manage a $7,857,143 cap hit for a 3rd pairing defenceman would be a humongous cap issue IMO ... especially if the LTIR "savings" have been spent for a multi-year contract(s) to fill Weber's void.

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Having to manage a $7,857,143 cap hit for a 3rd pairing defenceman would be a humongous cap issue IMO ... especially if the LTIR "savings" have been spent for a multi-year contract(s) to fill Weber's void.

your opinion.

mine is that MB has shown to have good judgment in managing the cap and with this year's high number of UFAs he has a good chance to create the salary structure to allow him to over pay for one year on a top-4 D knowing he will need to revisit in 2023