2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

On 6/6/2023 at 6:39 PM, Habsfan89 said:

How's it risky pick? He's under contract for 2 more years in Russia then wants to come to the NHL. That works out perfect for us, we're rebuilding and should be coming out of our rebuild by the time he's ready to come in 2 years.  It's actually perfect timing for us. If he's there at 5 we can't pass him up. 

Draft him let him play his contract out then bring him to Montreal. 

His play, other than offensive, is highly questionable; so bad that apparently he blows the zone before his team even has possession. There’s anticipation, and then there’s…leaving. He also is about as defensive capable as a Maple Leaf defender. 

Finally, a so-far unsubstantiated rumour admittedly, he’s potentially got some deficiencies in his, um, attitude. 😉 

Personally, that type of player doesn’t really interest me. I appreciate sublime skill, but not at the potential risk of the ‘team’ game. And I’ve no interest in seeing an attitude issue wreck chemistry (good riddance to even the thought of Mike Ribeiro).

As for the “Russian” aspect, please remember there’s a war going on which is likely to affect many athletes in various deleterious ways. Who knows how long that, and the political ramifications will last. I believe his father passed under mysterious circumstances, and the undertone behind that reporting is that it could have been linked to hockey.

Not saying I know anything, because I don’t, but all that has to be measured when making the choice to draft him. Defence and accountability can be taught, yes, but attitude is tougher and politics is well beyond the control of a hockey team.

Edited by Colin
Spelling because I hate typing on an iPad.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Colin said:

His play, other than offensive, is highly questionable; so bad that apparently he blows the zone before his team even has possession. There’s anticipation, and then there’s…leaving. He also is about as defensive capable as a Maple Leaf defender. 

Finally, a so-far unsubstantiated rumour admittedly, he’s potentially got some deficiencies in his, um, attitude. 😉 

Personally, that type of player doesn’t really interest me. I appreciate sublime skill, but not at the potential risk of the ‘team’ game. And I’ve no interest in seeing an attitude issue wreck chemistry (good riddance to even the thought of Mike Ribeiro).

As for the “Russian” aspect, please remember there’s a war going on which is likely to affect many athletes in various deleterious ways. Who knows how long that, and the political ramifications will last. I believe his father passed under mysterious circumstances, and the undertone behind that reporting is that it could have been linked to hockey.

Not saying I know anything, because I don’t, but all that has to be measured when making the choice to draft him. Defence and accountability can be taught, yes, but attitude is tougher and politics is well beyond the control of a hockey team.

What do we actually No about his attitude as a 17/18 year old? I’d say not much. If he becomes the next Pavel Bure, I’d be pretty pissed if we ended up taking a North American Valeri Bure, or a supposed great power forward like turner Stevenson or Terry Ryan!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

99% of 17 year olds have a bad attitude.  Who cares?

Hes not gonna be 17 forever 

The "magic" that is demanded of scouts is to determine which selfish 17 yr-olds will mature and earn to also play defence, and which will remain "me-first" floaters.

57 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The "magic" that is demanded of scouts is to determine which selfish 17 yr-olds will mature and earn to also play defence, and which will remain "me-first" floaters.

Well we took a supposed “great kid” in KK. That didn’t turn out to well - his development path was a huge contributor. Galchenyuk was supposed to be a mature kid as well. 

I just haven’t seen any Joshua Ho-Sang type of reports about him.

30 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well we took a supposed “great kid” in KK. That didn’t turn out to well - his development path was a huge contributor. Galchenyuk was supposed to be a mature kid as well. 

I just haven’t seen any Joshua Ho-Sang type of reports about him.

There are probably obvious outliers, e.g., a kid who is a complete disfunctional cretin, or a kid who is exceptionally dedicated. Scouts should filter for those. But the vast majority are probably somewhere between the two poles, and trying to make big extrapolations out of that seems like a bit of a fool’s errand.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

There are probably obvious outliers, e.g., a kid who is a complete disfunctional cretin, or a kid who is exceptionally dedicated. Scouts should filter for those. But the vast majority are probably somewhere between the two poles, and trying to make big extrapolations out of that seems like a bit of a fool’s errand.

A kid who is exceptionally driven--like St Louis. Or Xhekaj, for that matter.

I'm looking forward to the actual draft so that we can stop arguing about whether X would be a better pick than Y. :)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I'm looking forward to the actual draft so that we can stop arguing about whether X would be a better pick than Y. :)

Yeah, at that point the discussion will turn to X would have been a better pick than Y...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

A kid who is exceptionally driven--like St Louis. Or Xhekaj, for that matter.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Yeah, at that point the discussion will turn to X would have been a better pick than Y...

definitely.

I've stayed out of these discussions so far. Past years I was all gun-ho going through all kinds of lists and analysis. Any pick except the Russian kid is fine for me. I wand more certainty out of the top-10 pick than Slafkovsky.

Dropping down and picking a RD and a extra second would work for me too. Spreading the chances of picking a winner instead of riding on the single horse.

7 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Yakapov-like, u mean.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I've always liked Y's intangibles.  X just isn't reliable.  I will be furious if Y drops to us and we end up taking X (probably just because of a size bias).

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

If the Habs pick him, I predict many spelling challenges on this forum!

Not the 1st difficult spelling surname, I still struggle & stumble with Xhekaj every time.

Have people talked a lot about how Hughes coached Will Smith when he was young?

Any chance he'd want to move up at get a kid he knows? Maybe if Mitckov falls and he knows say SJ wants him or something?

Not sure it's the best move. Just spitballing predictions

51 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

Any chance he'd want to move up at get a kid he knows? Maybe if Mitckov falls and he knows say SJ wants him or something?

Am hoping they already have top 5 ranked, not sure moving from 5th-to 3rd/4th should/will happen.

A packaging of 31&37 or package with Flames 1st rd pick by Hughes to a contender (e.g. Tampa has no picks, they have traded away their 2023, 2024, 2025 1st rd picks) who is short of picks to get a prospect or young player, or use to move up in draft for specific kid seems more likely than moving 5th pick.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Am hoping they already have top 5 ranked, not sure moving from 5th-to 3rd/4th should/will happen.

A packaging of 31&37 or package with Flames 1st rd pick by Hughes to a contender (e.g. Tampa has no picks, they have traded away their 2023, 2024, 2025 1st rd picks) who is short of picks to get a prospect or young player, or use to move up in draft for specific kid seems more likely than moving 5th pick.

I agree. Just was curious if maybe Hughes would go for a guy he knows. We just don't know his tendencies yet.

3 hours ago, Plutarch said:

If he tries to move up it might, more likely, be to try to get Fantilli or Carlsson ... ***NOT*** predicting it happens

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

I agree. Just was curious if maybe Hughes would go for a guy he knows. We just don't know his tendencies yet.

I'm quite sure that the scouting team's input will be the primary driver. They have their revised team in place, and they'll be counting on those guys to know the prospects. Hughes's personal experience might sway the decision in the case of two equal prospects but I don't think he'll be overriding the scouts if there are better options available.

8 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

So just for placing names in my head.

Both of Fantili and Carlsson would go 1oa in the slafkovsky draft

Would Smith be?

Mitchkov is 1oa talent but non on-ice hockey issues for using a big pick on him.

Smith is better than Cooley who was challenging for 1OA so yes I think he would have went #1 last year 

No one is talking Benson who Id like if we dont take Michkov.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

No one is talking Benson who Id like if we dont take Michkov.

Yes, he seems to bring more all round game than Smith, but is a small winger.

If curious or bored, 2011 draft pick value article. 

https://myslu.stlawu.edu/~msch/sports/Schuckers_NHL_Draft.pdf

(not sure if more recent ones much different?)

image.png

2016 update

https://www.statsportsconsulting.com/2016/05/26/1658/?platform=hootsuite

https://theathletic.com/1798463/2020/06/12/by-the-numbers-revisiting-the-true-value-of-a-draft-pick/