2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

IF the word that Arizona wanted him is accurate, then trading down was not an option.

Look at the bright side. Stud RHD. If he ends up as a #1, we won't regret this pick.

No reason to take a guy that doesn’t have thr same skill level as Leonard or michkov.

Philly probably takes Leonard.

Another observation is that Reinbacher is being described as a guy who rocketed up the ranks in the draft year. Slaf was the same way. It seems that HuGo like guys who hit 'take off' in their draft year.

Michkov's slippage brings to mind what happened to Wright last year. Not as dramatic, but similar dynamic.

With Mitchkov gone, call the Caps for #8?

I knew it would be Briere who picked Michkov. 

Between the terrible pick at #5 and the overpay for Newhook I am becoming increasingly skeptical of management.

what a waste of a season to end up with stupid “safe” pick when there were so many more impactful players available.  Combined with giving away the other first round pick I am totally disappointed.

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Running an NHL team is not a democracy, though.

It’s not the pick I would have made but am counting on the Habs’ management and scouting teams intel and logic being superior to mine.

Well, that's why I'm not ripping out my hair. The case of #31 is a good reminder that none of us really know what we're talking about. Humility behooves us as fans on draft day.

What I don't like is that we seem to be drafting for position here, rather than for raw talent or upside. Philosophically I do not agree with that.

On the other hand, I really believe you need elite talent on the blueline. If this kid becomes a stud #1 defender, we will not regret this pick for one minute. The problem is if he turns into a nice #2, while other picks turn into superstars. 

• Upvote 1

Absolutely brutal announcement by Price as well. I feel bad for him, but I’m also just generally disappointed by the entire thing. 

Reinbacher needs to be the next Moritz Seider. I can’t see it though. 

Really disappointed but hope to be proven wrong 

1 minute ago, hockeyrealist said:

Between the terrible pick at #5 and the overpay for Newhook I am becoming increasingly skeptical of management.

what a waste of a season to end up with stupid “safe” pick when there were so many more impactful players available.  Combined with giving away the other first round pick I am totally disappointed.

I totally feel the same way.  The Habs 2nd rnd pick was 37th but this draft is so deep in offensive talent that Hughes basically gave up 2 1st rnd picks to get Newhook.   The Avs weren't able to keep Newhook to boot so that is certainly over payment.  The picks given for Newhook should have been deferred to next year or beyond.  

8 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Absolutely brutal announcement by Price as well. I feel bad for him, but I’m also just generally disappointed by the entire thing. 

Reinbacher needs to be the next Moritz Seider. I can’t see it though. 

Really disappointed but hope to be proven wrong 

I think even Price was thinking and wanted to confirm “David.. Are you sure???”

• Like 1

Also interesting to note that both Slaf and Reinbacher were somewhat unexpected picks. I've expressed worry before that Hughes might have a tendency to be a bit too clever. The more frequently he does the unexpected thing, the more important it is that his gambles hit. These idiosyncratic picks will add up over time.

Leonard worries me maybe more than the other guys we could have picked. Michkov is an enigma, but this guy seems like a real stud power FW.

7 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think even Price was think “David.. Are you sure???”

Ha ha, no, Price clearly didn't know what he was doing.

Reinbacher was supposed to go at #7; he went at #5. Honestly, that is not a massive stretch. I think we should take another bit of advice from Price and chill.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ha ha, no, Price clearly didn't know what he was doing.

Reinbacher was supposed to go at #7; he went at #5. Honestly, that is not a massive stretch. I think we should take another bit of advice from Price and chill.

I'm not 100% for BPA - there are times that I'd take a perfect fit player that is 1-3 spots away.  I don't believe that criteria fits Reinbacher.  I heard Reinbacher was slated to go beyond 10th but it was believed that a team would take him in the top 10.

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, that's why I'm not ripping out my hair. The case of #31 is a good reminder that none of us really know what we're talking about. Humility behooves us as fans on draft day.

What I don't like is that we seem to be drafting for position here, rather than for raw talent or upside. Philosophically I do not agree with that.

On the other hand, I really believe you need elite talent on the blueline. If this kid becomes a stud #1 defender, we will not regret this pick for one minute. The problem is if he turns into a nice #2, while other picks turn into superstars. 

I am not saying I am the best scout out there but I do watch international junior hockey religiously and I personally pair players like Caufield, Subban and Price together because they were players who performed internationally at the junior level prior to the draft. Caufield also broke a lot of scoring records as a junior that made me confident about his transition to the big leagues.

I understand that the Price pick was not the most popular choice at the time. Around that time, I myself would have liked taking someone like Kopitar, although I didn’t hate the Price choice. With that being said, while it is indeed a small sample size, him and Jonathan Toews both had extremely memorable moments at the junior level; particularly that shootout versus the United States where Price made multiple key saves and Toews scored multiple goals. Price went 5th and Toews 3rd. He also won championships.

Subban isn’t comparable as he went in the second round but I also saw special things from him as a junior that I was excited to see translate to the NHL level.

I haven’t watched Reinbacher as much as I watched those players so I don’t have much footing to stand on, but his statistics do not exactly yell out “stud first pairing defenseman”.  

I am hopeful for Slafkovsky and he had some great junior moments as well but I did not have the same emotion with he or KK as I did with Price, Caufield and Subban in recent memory. I feel the same way with Reinbacher. Felt differently with Price.

I will always route for every one of our players so I am cheering Reinbacher on. I also agree that when it comes to the drafts, outside of the top pick or two, and even them, it is such a crap shoot because there will be many unforseen factors that come into play. As a result, none of us know what we are talking about in the present. 

I can still say publically that I expect better things from Michkov than Reinbacher, even though I do know nothing.

If it eventually happens, will Gary remember how to say "I have a trade to announce".

EDIT:  If Trotz wants to make a "big move" he was three picks by other teams to make an impact trade.

36 minutes ago, huzer said:

Habs had their pick and were convinced he wouldn't be available later. That's all I can say about that.

With Arizona going way off the board to get Simashev, it's pretty clear that Reinbacher wasn't going to be there if they traded down.  Evidently, they preferred foregoing the extra compensation of a trade down (if one was still there, I suspect it was) and someone they felt was a lesser player.

I don't mind the pick.  To me, he's the piece that perfectly completes Montreal's defensive puzzle.  On the right side, Barron is more of a second-pairing guy and Mailloux's defensive struggles might limit him to a third-pairing spot.  Reinbacher is a future 20+ minute top-pairing piece that can log tough minutes shorthanded and at five-on-five.  (I went with 20 as an ATOI as I'm not sure he fits as a primary PP option with the current prospect pool.)  Those players are hard to come by.

Some quick scouting reports: https://www.habsworld.net/2023/06/habs-select-david-reinbacher-5th-overall/

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm not 100% for BPA - there are times that I'd take a perfect fit player that is 1-3 spots away.  I don't believe that criteria fits Reinbacher.  I heard Reinbacher was slated to go beyond 10th but it was believed that a team would take him in the top 10.

Big diff between top 5 and top 10.

2 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

It will totally suck if the Habs could have traded the 5th pick and end up with Dvorsky and Sand Covered Pelican.  

we will never know anything but rumours ... some perhaps more reliable than others but still rumours.

Just now, GHT120 said:

we will never know anything but rumours ... some perhaps more reliable than others but still rumours.

Well, its no rumor that the Wings and Flyers had top 10 and top 20 picks.  Those picks might fall near where Dvorsky and Sand Covered Pelican are drafted.  So far, they could have got Dvorsky with either of those top 10 picks, and been closer to the BPA at those spots.