2023 NHL Playoffs

tomh009

6 hours ago, Helmethead said:

Every time I see a road team up 2-0 all I can think of is that 2011 series against the Bruins.

We have them dead in their tracks going back to Montreal.

They beat us in OT in game 7 and went on to win the cup.

Literally had Claude Julien on the verge of being fired.

Yep. Me too. And that michael Ryder glove save in game 7 ot. Oof. Had Thomas and Chara beat.

One sobering thought for me regarding the Florida pick going from 17 to 29ish …

when the Habs traded Chiarot for a 2023 Fla 1st rounder, the Panthers were on their way to winning the Presidents trophy. Management ANTICIPATED the pick would be a late 1st rounder. It’s not like the Habs lost real value here - the Habs are getting what they traded for. 

we were just giddy at the prospect of fleecing another NHL club. That’s all the Habs have really lost. 

Go Panthers! Beat those Maples!!!

Just food for thought.

https://habather.ca/2023/05/05/habs-notes-from-the-first-round/

"What do Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Shesterkin, Georgiev, Grubauer, Oettinger, Brossoit and Hellebuyck have in common beside having names that are hard to spell? All eight of them were the sole netminder used by their respective teams in the playoffs. Only three of them made it to the second round.

What do Samsonov, Schmid, Raanta, Gustavsson, Brossoit, Skinner and Korpisalo all have in common? All seven were the primary goaltender for their teams in the first round while having AAVs of less than $3M –some considerably less. Five of seven backstopped their teams to the second round"

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, yes, hooray. Obviously I am not happy to see our pick drop, but as I’ve broadcast in my posts, I regard it as an overriding imperative that the Leafs not win the Cup. Moving from 17th to 29th is a price I am willing to pay. Your point about Leafs cheerleading is exactly what I’m talking about. Imagine that, amplified X20000000, every day for the rest of your life, and you’ll see why I regard this a small price.

In the context of the Leaves losing it makes sense ... I read it just as your being happy that the pick was falling.

2 hours ago, revvvrob said:

One sobering thought for me regarding the Florida pick going from 17 to 29ish …

when the Habs traded Chiarot for a 2023 Fla 1st rounder, the Panthers were on their way to winning the Presidents trophy. Management ANTICIPATED the pick would be a late 1st rounder. It’s not like the Habs lost real value here - the Habs are getting what they traded for. 

we were just giddy at the prospect of fleecing another NHL club. That’s all the Habs have really lost. 

Go Panthers! Beat those Maples!!!

That's true, I think management and most of us likely thought the pick would end up being late 20's at the time but Florida's bad start got us excited. I still hope the Leafs come back and then lose the next round but that is unlikely now. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

Just food for thought.

https://habather.ca/2023/05/05/habs-notes-from-the-first-round/

"What do Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Shesterkin, Georgiev, Grubauer, Oettinger, Brossoit and Hellebuyck have in common beside having names that are hard to spell? All eight of them were the sole netminder used by their respective teams in the playoffs. Only three of them made it to the second round.

What do Samsonov, Schmid, Raanta, Gustavsson, Brossoit, Skinner and Korpisalo all have in common? All seven were the primary goaltender for their teams in the first round while having AAVs of less than $3M –some considerably less. Five of seven backstopped their teams to the second round"

It does seem as though the league has largely exited the "Carey Price" model of having a stud #1G in favour of platoon systems. I can see it making sense, if only because - as we saw with #31 - the older model makes the franchise terribly dependent on a single player. And it probably leads to cap savings, as a rule, although two Jake Allens would cost almost $8 mil - not that different from a $7 million stud with a bargain-basement backup.

Further to this, I heard Jason Woodley talking about how fatigue is a real factor for goalies in the playoffs. They can lose, like 15 lbs in a single game, and taking a high-pressure game every second night - more than that if you factor in OT - is a really huge load to carry when you think about it. Yes, the Roys and Haseks and Brodeurs seemed to thrive on it, but it probably is a crazy demand to place on mere mortals, especially if the same guy is also playing 65 games per year like Price did.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Go OIlers!:clap:

These playoffs have been a coming out party for Evan Bouchard.  I think the Mattias Ekholm trade may have saved Ken Holland's job. Not only was Ekholm exactly what The Oilers needed on defense but trading Tyson Barrie opened up the power play quarterback spot for Bouchard and he has been impressive. His puck skills and shot compliment the big guns so well.  The puck control of the Oiler's power play tonight was as good as I have seen. 

9 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Kane gonna get a suspension for hitting guys when they’re down?

No injury or harm from punches was there, just goofy and unsportsmenlike eh. 

Who knows, he may get a bonus instead, as the NHL will surely be running the fight video everywhere in Vegas to drum up more betting or interest?

21 yr olds; Jack Hughes 1g2a, young Mercer 2a, up 5-1 in game #3

19yrold in his 3rd NHL game, Luke Hughes 1a 6:45 so far.

The Great Satan has a stake in his heart - FLA just has to strike one more blow and we can breathe easy for another year 🥳

Matthews had the game on his stick, a clear shot from the slot with, like, five minutes left, but Bob stood tall.

If and when FLA seals this deal, I think they’ll vault to status of my second favourite team: Bruins AND Leafs killers, all in the same playoff! God bless those boys.👍

• Like 2

Toronto was just awful in the last 5 minutes of the 3rd period and in OT.  Icing after icing. The give away by O'Reilly was a head shaker. Sometimes you just know who is going to win in OT. It will be interesting to see if Mathews signs an extension. The Leafs have some decisions to make with Mathews and Nylander 1 year away from UFA status. 

16 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Toronto was just awful in the last 5 minutes of the 3rd period and in OT.  Icing after icing. The give away by O'Reilly was a head shaker. Sometimes you just know who is going to win in OT. It will be interesting to see if Mathews signs an extension. The Leafs have some decisions to make with Mathews and Nylander 1 year away from UFA status. 

Isn’t Marner also up, or will that be the following year?

in any event, I hope they lose in a sweep. For most t and that would kill most of the joy of finally winning a series! But we are talking Toronto, so I suppose for them, they already won their cup!😆

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Isn’t Marner also up, or will that be the following year?

in any event, I hope they lose in a sweep. For most t and that would kill most of the joy of finally winning a series! But we are talking Toronto, so I suppose for them, they already won their cup!😆

Ahahahahaa, that would be in character, but honestly - I think a sweep will utterly destroy the good will they generated by beating Tampa. I’m not sure how ownership and management will react, though. Will they look at fat profits and their fan base of eternally hopeful suckers and say, “hey, we won a round, learned a lot, that’s progress” and make only cosmetic changes (e.g., firing Keefe)? Or will we finally start to see big, structural moves?

12 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It will be interesting to see what changes the Leafs will be making, as their top players were clearly not producing. Nylander was the best of the top four, but Marner and Tavares were nowhere. Matthews was somewhere in the middle.

Change the GM (for choosing the wrong players), fire the coach (for not getting the most out of those players) or trade some of those players for futures?