2023 NHL Playoffs

tomh009

I claim the credit/blame for last night's result ... normally I avoid watching Leafs games as they tend do well when I do, and even avoid "peeks" as they tend to result in goals or near goals.

LAST night, I decided to see if the game was over and was just in time to see former Hab Nick Cousins enter the neutral zone and ... THE ... REST ... IS ... HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!

Florida's pick dropping to 29-32 may just make someone's wish that the Habs draft a goalie in the first round a possibility ... although their second rounder is just 7-9 picks later.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

So, the entire future of the Hughes rebuild depends on the #17 pick in this year’s draft? Got it 🤔

That being said, I’d have preferred that Boston continue to steamroll, beat Florida and then destroy Toronto, retaining us the #17 pick. When it comes to Toronto, however, I don’t care what it takes - they cannot win the Cup under any circumstances. 

Nonetheless, when I watched Game 7 of Round One, I felt a deep joy in seeing the Bruins lose. All the hype about them being better than the 1977 Habs, etc., made that especially satisfying. So ultimately I didn’t even mind that. Plus I’m not so sure *that* group would have beaten Toronto. I think we underestimated Florida.

On a pure analytical level, I find Toronto a really hard team to understand. If I were a Leafs fan, I would have been supportive of their approach up to now. You have a stacked team. Be patient. Let those player learn how to win. Follow the approach Detroit did with Yzerman in the 1990s and ride out the playoff disappointments, knowing that eventually the star power will break through.

In terms of team building, I always felt they over-invested in their FW cohort and under-invested at D; but at this point, that’s splitting hairs. You can’t seriously look at that roster and think “yeah, they have fundamental weaknesses, more so than other contenders.” 

It really does seem to be an issue of mindset. There is something in that group that just consistently can’t find the next gear at crunch time. (I remember being shocked by their limp effort in Game 7 against us in 2021 - they had given up). Maybe it’s coaching. Or maybe they really do need to move out a key piece and redefine the room. Year after year their big names come up short in the playoffs. At some point it becomes a pattern that needs to be broken by an external force, i.e., a redefining of the core.

Forgot about the Luongo angle. Another reason to like Florida. Good point.

Forwards over D is one issue. Bigger issue is the coach is pretty much castrated. He calls out players Marner cries to media and sulks, and the coach backtracks.  This year I actually think that Dubas did his best job of filling holes in his lineup, but O’Keefe could never get control of the room. Yiu can’t have a Sutter or Keenan type coach anymore, but you also can’t have a pushover.  I think the best thing is IF they manage to convince Matthews to extend, they should move Marner. Tavares contract is pretty much immovable, and Nylander has the best contract of the four, and is proving to be a much more complete player than Marner. 
I of course don’t want the leafs to do well, and hope that get back to their knocked out in first round and don’t make the playoffs days, but thats just my take on Sportsnets/TSN’s team.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

So, the entire future of the Hughes rebuild depends on the #17 pick in this year’s draft? Got it 🤔

That being said, I’d have preferred that Boston continue to steamroll, beat Florida and then destroy Toronto, retaining us the #17 pick. When it comes to Toronto, however, I don’t care what it takes - they cannot win the Cup under any circumstances. 

Nonetheless, when I watched Game 7 of Round One, I felt a deep joy in seeing the Bruins lose. All the hype about them being better than the 1977 Habs, etc., made that especially satisfying. So ultimately I didn’t even mind that. Plus I’m not so sure *that* group would have beaten Toronto. I think we underestimated Florida.

On a pure analytical level, I find Toronto a really hard team to understand. If I were a Leafs fan, I would have been supportive of their approach up to now. You have a stacked team. Be patient. Let those player learn how to win. Follow the approach Detroit did with Yzerman in the 1990s and ride out the playoff disappointments, knowing that eventually the star power will break through.

In terms of team building, I always felt they over-invested in their FW cohort and under-invested at D; but at this point, that’s splitting hairs. You can’t seriously look at that roster and think “yeah, they have fundamental weaknesses, more so than other contenders.” 

It really does seem to be an issue of mindset. There is something in that group that just consistently can’t find the next gear at crunch time. (I remember being shocked by their limp effort in Game 7 against us in 2021 - they had given up). Maybe it’s coaching. Or maybe they really do need to move out a key piece and redefine the room. Year after year their big names come up short in the playoffs. At some point it becomes a pattern that needs to be broken by an external force, i.e., a redefining of the core.

Forgot about the Luongo angle. Another reason to like Florida. Good point.

I can understand an opponent shutting down a great player or a great line. Danault has done a masterful job of that during his career. 

Leafs continually get both of their power lines shut down though. If the Mathews line gets shutdown then the Tavares line should step up but that doesn’t happen. 

I think it’s a coaching issue

Fire Dubas, fire Keefe, trade Mathews is what I would do (nobody is paying big return for Marner and his salary). 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Just feel better today with the threat of the Leafs winning a cup gone for another season.

I will toast that.:1banana:

futurama-seconded.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm not really a fan of him, but that is pretty funny.

image.jpeg

Watching the video, that is his immediate reaction to the goal and then he skates away ... not certain whether he was trash-talking Wool or just recting.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Watching the video, that is his immediate reaction to the goal and then he skates away ... not certain whether he was trash-talking Wool or just recting.

What would Jean Beliveau, Joe Sakic, Mats Sundin, Saku Koivu... of done? 

image.jpeg

1 minute ago, DON said:

What would Jean Beliveau, Joe Sakic, Mats Sundin, Saku Koivu... of done? Just saying.

That is a valid question if Gudas is intentionally trashing Woll ... ALL I am saying is that despite appearances we don't KNOW his intent ... Gudas has played only 48 playoff games in 11 seasons, this is the furthest he has ever advanced ... IMO ... could be either exuberant celebration or unsportsmanlike behaviour.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

... could be either exuberant celebration or unsportsmanlike behaviour.

Your joking i assume.

You have seen Gudas play before havent you?

35 minutes ago, DON said:

Your joking i assume.

You have seen Gudas play before haven't you?

I am no fan of Gudas ... wouldn't want him on the Habs ... just won't jump to judgement based on a freeze-frame photo ... NOT trying to convince you of anything ... just expressing my opinion ... I can understand a HUGE reaction to seeing the series winning goal go in two feet in front of you ... AND ... I see no reaction from any of the Leaves in the area.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Crystal ball in need of repair.

We get to hear about the no goal now for 30 years. It sucks that there was no whistle, but the play was long dead when Bob stood up. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

And after this prognostication, that franchise then added a point/game Tavares. Surely that would cinch a dynasty eh and I guess jury still out on that expensive quartet. :P

On 5/12/2023 at 11:38 PM, Sir_Boagalott said:

Tkachuck is exactly what you say.  It sucks the Habs drafted KK over Brady.  That was 1 of the dumbest moves ever.  

I think Quinn Hughes would have been an even better pick ...

On 5/13/2023 at 12:00 PM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Leafs continually get both of their power lines shut down though. If the Mathews line gets shutdown then the Tavares line should step up but that doesn’t happen. 

I think it’s a coaching issue

This is at least a big part of it, I think: Keefe has his plan and he sticks to it, he cannot adapt and switch tactics when the team is being outplayed.

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I think Quinn Hughes would have been an even better pick ...

Well if they listened to me...

Brady is meh.... Matthew is a god damn killer... and Brady is a fine top sixforward but hes not a game changer like his brother.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Well if they listened to me...

Brady is meh.... Matthew is a god damn killer... and Brady is a fine top sixforward but hes not a game changer like his brother.

Mathew is older, and has had a chance to evolve from being a good player who was also shit disturber, to a dominant player who is a mean shit disturber. During last year’s playoffs in Calgary there was a lot of “where the hell was Tkachuk against Edmonton, he also had some average playoffs before that. This year he was a beast against the Bruins. No reason why Brady can’t be as impactful. In any event either hughes or Tkachuck would have been better picks, and were the consensus BPAs available. KK was picked because Bergevin couldn’t fill the black hole at centre. If we hadn’t taken him, he’d probably have been a but a 6-12 pick.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Mathew is older, and has had a chance to evolve from being a good player who was also shit disturber, to a dominant player who is a mean shit disturber. During last year’s playoffs in Calgary there was a lot of “where the hell was Tkachuk against Edmonton, he also had some average playoffs before that. This year he was a beast against the Bruins. No reason why Brady can’t be as impactful. In any event either hughes or Tkachuck would have been better picks, and were the consensus BPAs available. KK was picked because Bergevin couldn’t fill the black hole at centre. If we hadn’t taken him, he’d probably have been a but a 6-12 pick.

Matthew has 77 points at age 20.  He has back to back 100 point years and is a Hart finalist.  Even last year he had 10 points in 12 playoff games when you say he disappeared.

There is always one brother who is better.  While Brady is certainly better than Valeri Bure ever was... there is no doubt that Matthew is the Pavel of the duo.

As for KK being a 6-12 pick.. arizona took Barrett Haydon at 5th cause he was a centre.  So no, he wouldnt have got past them.

Must be a special kind of hell to be an Oilers fan. Have two of the very best players in the world, but cannot find a goalie to save their lives. 

What would it take as a sweetener to get out of the Campbell contract?

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Matthew has 77 points at age 20.  He has back to back 100 point years and is a Hart finalist.  Even last year he had 10 points in 12 playoff games when you say he disappeared.

There is always one brother who is better.  While Brady is certainly better than Valeri Bure ever was... there is no doubt that Matthew is the Pavel of the duo.

As for KK being a 6-12 pick.. arizona took Barrett Haydon at 5th cause he was a centre.  So no, he wouldnt have got past them.

Not saying Brady is the better player, or will be the better player. Matthew did regress as after he put up 77 points. Injuries were a big part of it, but in Calgary, he was being roasted if not showing up on too many nights, and taking real dumb penalties: last year in the important games, he was a now show. This year he was the spark that got the panthers going. But he broke out at 24 last year.

Other than his third year when he was hurt, and the Sens were a joke, Brady has improved year. At 23 he became a PPG player this year. Matthews was not a PPG player until 24, even though he played on a much better team, and better players than Brady has.

brady may not become better than Matthew, but I think he can become a 90+ point guy, and potentially a 100_+ point guy now that he has a better supporting cast. He’ll be 24 next year 1 same age as when Matthew finally broke out.

on any event along with Hughes, Brady is easily one of the top 4 players of his draft class, and I’d take him OR Hughes any day. Both should certainly have been picked over KK. And frankly, I think Brady may become a more impactful player than Hughes.

55 minutes ago, Neech said:

Must be a special kind of hell to be an Oilers fan. Have two of the very best players in the world, but cannot find a goalie to save their lives. 

What would it take as a sweetener to get out of the Campbell contract?

Draisaitl 😀I’d even take McDavid, and I’d even be willing to through in a choice of one of our goalies and Harris😆 I wonder if that deal would go through in NHL 2033😆