Sean Monahan signed to 1yr $1.985M

alfredoh2009

• alfredoh2009 changed the title to Sean Monahan signed to 1yr $1.985M

Good signing IMO ... veteran leadership ... high reward/low risk ... will be an excellent mentor for Fantilli if he chooses the NHL over NCAA after Dach + +  traded to Anaheim.

1 minute ago, DON said:

Interesting signing, 1st thought, i dont hate it and low risk.

Does this impact Dvorak's tradability.

Or even Dach's, to try to get Fantilli (beating that drum until it doesn't happen ... 😆) ... if Dach not traded, logically there seems like there is no room for Evans, he is not a 4C and has trade value given his decent faceoff numbers ... unless Monahan is going to play wing to lighten his defensive responsibilities and thereby reduce stress on his past injuries.

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Interesting signing, 1st thought, i dont hate it and low risk.

Does this impact Dvorak's tradability.

exactly what I was thinking. It is certain that it opens that opportunity for a trade. If Monahan is healthy, I would prefer to keep Dach at center and to trade Dvorak

If he stays healthy I could even see the possibility of HuGo exploring an extension rather than/before trading him.

Agree with Pierre (certain that makes him feel soooooo good) ... still a bargain

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Or even Dach's, to try to get Fantilli (beating that drum until it doesn't happen ... 😆) ... if Dach not traded, logically there seems like there is no room for Evans, he is not a 4C and has trade value given his decent faceoff numbers ... unless Monahan is going to play wing to lighten his defensive responsibilities and thereby reduce stress on his past injuries.

Basu believes (and I tend to agree) that Hughes is unlikely to trade Dach, and not only because of his performance:

But the Canadiens’ management team of Kent Hughes and Jeff Gorton have repeatedly cited the trade they swung to acquire Dach as something they would like to repeat this offseason. They believe in Dach as an important part of the Canadiens’ future and as a centre. He is, in many ways, the poster child for how they want to do business, a player who was undervalued by another organization who they developed into something more than he was in his previous stop. To the Canadiens, the Dach story is an important message to other players who have failed to reach their full potential that they can do that in Montreal. He is the prime example of what working under Martin St. Louis and the Canadiens development staff can do for your career. His importance is far greater than simply what he does on the ice.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Good signing IMO ... veteran leadership ... high reward/low risk ... will be an excellent mentor for Fantilli if he chooses the NHL over NCAA after Dach + +  traded to Anaheim.

No thanks

• Like 1

The only way someone doesn’t like this deal is if they want the Habs to ‘tank’ again this season.

Great signing 👍

Monahan is a terrific player…such a shame about his injuries. Hopefully he can decisively rebuild his career this season and enjoy a few healthy years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The only way someone doesn’t like this deal is if they want the Habs to ‘tank’ again this season.

Great signing 👍

Monahan is a terrific player…such a shame about his injuries. Hopefully he can decisively rebuild his career this season and enjoy a few healthy years.

I am definitely not hoping for a tank job this season. With a healthy Monahan, the Habs may squeak into the playoffs if everyone is health and playing up to their contracts... yeas this is me looking at you Gallagher 👀 !

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am definitely not hoping for a tank job this season. With a healthy Monahan, the Habs may squeak into the playoffs if everyone is health and playing up to their contracts... yeas this is me looking at you Gallagher 👀 !

Gallagher won't live up to his cap hit, that ship has sailed. If he hits 40 points that'll be a big win at this point.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Yeah, despite my comment, I don’t think anyone is really hoping for a tank this year. As MSL noted, it’s time to start shifting expectations - not towards a Cup (yet) but toward being a competitive team. I’ll be OK if we don’t make the playoffs, but I’ll be disappointed if we’re not in the mix for a good portion of the season.

Of course, this doesn’t mean moving picks/prospects for immediate help, and it certainly doesn’t mean adding guys in the back-9 of their careers on sizeable tickets, which are things that might happen if we were contenders. It does mean that we need to pivot from being happy that kid X looks like he belongs in the NHL, to starting to demand that he contribute to winning some hockey games.

And if Gallagher lives up to his contract, that would be MASSIVE in terms of on-ice results. But I just don’t believe he can do it any more. 

54 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, despite my comment, I don’t think anyone is really hoping for a tank this year. As MSL noted, it’s time to start shifting expectations - not towards a Cup (yet) but toward being a competitive team. I’ll be OK if we don’t make the playoffs, but I’ll be disappointed if we’re not in the mix for a good portion of the season.

Of course, this doesn’t mean moving picks/prospects for immediate help, and it certainly doesn’t mean adding guys in the back-9 of their careers on sizeable tickets, which are things that might happen if we were contenders. It does mean that we need to pivot from being happy that kid X looks like he belongs in the NHL, to starting to demand that he contribute to winning some hockey games.

And if Gallagher lives up to his contract, that would be MASSIVE in terms of on-ice results. But I just don’t believe he can do it any more. 

To be honest if we stay healthy i think we make the playoffs. 

We should be adding some more young good talent in this year's draft. We just need to trim the fat off this team. By that I mean Hoffman, Armia, Dvorak and some how get rid of Gallagher and his big contract, we should be okay. 

31 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

And, maybe, yes, this might happen. But, we should still be sellers at the deadline.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

We are certainly due for a healthy season after 2 awful seasons of injuries. I think we will be a bubble team, close but not quite there yet but playoffs are not out of the question.