Sean Monahan signed to 1yr $1.985M

alfredoh2009

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

We are certainly due for a healthy season after 2 awful seasons of injuries. I think we will be a bubble team, close but not quite there yet but playoffs are not out of the question. 

Without knowing what in the hell the roster will look like in 2 weeks (big additions or tweeks?), gotta wait and see before having a clue what spot team should be in come next April.

Will they take on bad contract with cap room, or will they deal away 'stuff' for Dubois/ or a Adam Boqvist? or both?

15 minutes ago, DON said:

Without knowing what in the hell the roster will look like in 2 weeks (big additions or tweeks?), gotta wait and see before having a clue what spot team should be in come next April.

Will they take on bad contract with cap room, or will they deal away 'stuff' for Dubois/ or a Adam Boqvist? or both?

If I had to bet ... I'd say both

19 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If I had to bet ... I'd say both

Anticipation getting higher.

If go Dubois route now, seems jumping the gun on the whole rebuild doesnt it?

Wow, great signing.  The Habs can have another chance at moving him at the trade deadline; or like others have suggested if he has a really good year re-sign him for longer at a great low rate.  Personally, I tend to hope that it is the later.

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Agree with Pierre (certain that makes him feel soooooo good) ... still a bargain

Thx, that is exactly what I was wondering.  I knew he was eligible for a performance based contract but nothing about any of the reports I have read seem to indicate that was the situation.  I guess that is because it is only $15k where it could have been $2-2.5 mil.

2 hours ago, huzer said:

Bubble means a ~23 point improvement over last season. That seems slightly optimistic.  .500, +/- a few games is about where I expect the team to be.

Unfortunately it may be better longterm to be plucky bottomfeeders again this season and get another top pick. Slaf and Smith/Benson are good, but I'm not sure they're the bluechippers we need from our tanking years.

I'm not saying that we should lose intentionally, but if we draft 10-15th next summer we may be looking back at our bottoming-out period as insufficient.

29 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Thx, that is exactly what I was wondering.  I knew he was eligible for a performance based contract but nothing about any of the reports I have read seem to indicate that was the situation.  I guess that is because it is only $15k where it could have been $2-2.5 mil.

I am a bit mystified why they would bother setting up a performance bonus that's only 0.75% of the contract total.

2 minutes ago, Neech said:

Unfortunately it may be better longterm to be plucky bottomfeeders again this season and get another top pick. Slaf and Smith/Benson are good, but I'm not sure they're the bluechippers we need from our tanking years.

I'm not saying that we should lose intentionally, but if we draft 10-15th next summer we may be looking back at our bottoming-out period as insufficient.

I guess I should clarify, I shouldn't have said I expect them to finish around 500, that's what I consider the team's ceiling next season. Do I think they'll get there? Well, right now there is insufficient data. The off season hasn't even really started yet.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Anticipation getting higher.

If go Dubois route now, seems jumping the gun on the whole rebuild doesn't it?

Dubois is barely more than a year older than Suzuki (1 year, 1 month, 17 days) ... fits in perfectly age-wise ... brings different skill-set than the rest of the core.

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Dubois is barely more than a year older than Suzuki (1 year, 1 month, 17 days) ... fits in perfectly age-wise ... brings different skill-set than the rest of the core.

It is parting with alot of valuable bits/assets to acquire him bit, i mean. And not really needed for the upcoming 23-24 losing season is he, so kinda a waste of a year, no matter how good he is (which is nothing super offensively-wise to date).

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I am a bit mystified why they would bother setting up a performance bonus that's only 0.75% of the contract total.

I'd guess that it is due to the rules allowed them to.  lol

That certainly wasn't the performance based contract I was expecting.  However, that is likely related to Moneyhands being incredibly reasonable with his contract wants.  i.e. Hughes could have and likely would have given him more bonuses, but it seems like Sean didn't want more to stay for another year.    

1 hour ago, DON said:

It is parting with alot of valuable bits/assets to acquire him bit, i mean. And not really needed for the upcoming 23-24 losing season is he, so kinda a waste of a year, no matter how good he is (which is nothing super offensively-wise to date).

So if they want him, hope and pray he doesn't sign an extension anywhere else and that the 2024 bidding war isn't too bad?

4 hours ago, huzer said:

Bubble means a ~23 point improvement over last season. That seems slightly optimistic.  .500, +/- a few games is about where I expect the team to be.

It might be slightly optimistic but who knows how quickly some of the kids develop and it's unlikely they lead the league in man games/injury again. The Devils improved 45 points this year so I don't think 23 is out of the question. 

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

It's a bit of a joke.  The 26 GP isn't random, it's one game more than he played this past season so if he wants his full $2 million, he has to last longer than he did in 2022-23.  Frankly, they should have made it $1.974M base and $26,000 in bonuses just to have a little more fun with it.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

So if they want him, hope and pray he doesn't sign an extension anywhere else and that the 2024 bidding war isn't too bad?

Sorry, if he signs a 7 year deal with the Kings fine by me, might be better to just use picks and develop prospects, for near future?

• Like 1

Dubois is a good, not great player. 

The attractiveness of getting him, is getting him for cheap.  

If you have to pay full price for him, he's not a guy that you can't live without. 

• Like 1

wonder how much jam for that toast will $15k buy ?

🤔

I would love Dubois as a UFA who takes a slight hometown discount. I don't want to either spend serious assets to acquire him or give him a huge payday. We wouldn't even consider going after him if he wasn't a gars de chez nous who made it clear he wants to come here. If he wants that so bad, let him come here as a UFA and be a hero who didn't cripple the rebuild.

13 hours ago, Neech said:

I would love Dubois as a UFA who takes a slight hometown discount. I don't want to either spend serious assets to acquire him or give him a huge payday. We wouldn't even consider going after him if he wasn't a gars de chez nous who made it clear he wants to come here. If he wants that so bad, let him come here as a UFA and be a hero who didn't cripple the rebuild.

The question, though, is what constitutes a ‘serious asset.’ To my mind, Dubious is a distressed asset himself; no way should we be paying full value for him. However, I’m open to paying *something.*

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

Dubois is a good, not great player. 

The attractiveness of getting him, is getting him for cheap.  

If you have to pay full price for him, he's not a guy that you can't live without. 

What constitutes ‘cheap’ in this context? Our 31st overall pick and one of our D prospects?

24-year-old 70-point C with size. (It’s his size that makes him overrated, insofar as he is). Not a franchise player, but definitely a nice piece. He is what we basically hope Dach will become, no?

Of course, if you really have faith in Dach, maybe PLD becomes redundant in terms of longer-term projections for team structure. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The question, though, is what constitutes a ‘serious asset.’ To my mind, Dubious is a distressed asset himself; no way should we be paying full value for him. However, I’m open to paying *something.*

What constitutes ‘cheap’ in this context? Our 31st overall pick and one of our D prospects?

24-year-old 70-point C with size. (It’s his size that makes him overrated, insofar as he is). Not a franchise player, but definitely a nice piece. He is what we basically hope Dach will become, no?

Of course, if you really have faith in Dach, maybe PLD becomes redundant in terms of longer-term projections for team structure. 

A 70 point centre with size would be great. 

Thing is Dubois has never scored 70 points. His career high is 63 (this season). 

He's put up 60 three times. 

So maybe he gets 70 once or twice in his career, but the guy is not a sure thing to get 70 as he's never even done it once. 

So calling him a 70 point player is a big stretch. 

But yeah 31 and one of the D prospects (not Hutson or Guhle), would be fine for value. 

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

A 70 point centre with size would be great. 

Thing is Dubois has never scored 70 points. His career high is 63 (this season). 

He's put up 60 three times. 

So maybe he gets 70 once or twice in his career, but the guy is not a sure thing to get 70 as he's never even done it once. 

So calling him a 70 point player is a big stretch. 

But yeah 31 and one of the D prospects (not Hutson or Guhle), would be fine for value. 

Well, last season he was on a 70-point pace, but missed 9 games to fall short. So in a sense it depends on what we mean by “70 point player.” But I don’t think it’s a “big stretch” given that that was his production level last season. 

Agree with not sending back Guhle, that’s for sure (Hutson I know less about, but I’m sure you’re right).

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, last season he was on a 70-point pace, but missed 9 games to fall short. So in a sense it depends on what we mean by “70 point player.” But I don’t think it’s a “big stretch” given that that was his production level last season. 

Agree with not sending back Guhle, that’s for sure (Hutson I know less about, but I’m sure you’re right).

This clip is from a few months ago, but Dan Robertson (former Habs radio play-by-play, current Jets play-by-play) had some interesting comments on PLD (starting around 6:40) ... until injured he was borderline dominant every night, terrific player, strong on the puck, welcomes contact, absorbs hits, hard to get puck away from him, takes a few too many penalties but also draws a lot ... recently heard another interview with Robertson where he said similar things and also praised PLD's defence, team play and that he is hard to play against every night.

Perhaps not just about the points.