Edmundson Traded to Washington

dlbalr

37 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

What difference does it make if Price is not placed on ltir?

If they can stay out of LTIR, they avoid the bonuses achieved in 2023-24 being rolled over into 2024-25.  For example, the Habs' players hit $1.17M in bonuses in 2022-23.  Because they were in LTIR, that entire amount is being deducted from Montreal's cap space in 2023-24. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

If they can stay out of LTIR, they avoid the bonuses achieved in 2023-24 being rolled over into 2024-25.  For example, the Habs' players hit $1.17M in bonuses in 2022-23.  Because they were in LTIR, that entire amount is being deducted from Montreal's cap space in 2023-24. 

Thanks for the clarification. 

Disappointing in the end because a healthy Eddy would have a netted a Chiarot-like return, but who knows if we'll ever see a healthy Eddy again.  Good to have the spot available for our young D-men.

I wonder if Matheson continues his production from down the stretch into this season, if he can be flipped for a first line forward.

1 minute ago, Neech said:

Disappointing in the end because a healthy Eddy would have a netted a Chiarot-like return, but who knows if we'll ever see a healthy Eddy again.  Good to have the spot available for our young D-men.

I wonder if Matheson continues his production from down the stretch into this season, if he can be flipped for a first line forward.

If Matheson can continue,  you thank your luck and keep him. Praying he doesn’t get hurt. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neech said:

Trade Matheson?

Am sure he "could" be part of a package.

But, would mean Habs would have zero veteran 1st pairing d-men.

Why would you create one hole to fill another?

55 minutes ago, DON said:

Trade Matheson?

Am sure he "could" be part of a package.

But, would mean Habs would have zero veteran 1st pairing d-men.

Why would you create one hole to fill another?

He's not the classic defensive anchor vet, more like the guy who needs a defensive anchor as his partner. Hutson could fill that role in a few years, at which point Matheson will be expendable. We'll not be contending before then, so I'd be fine getting a future core piece for him.

1 hour ago, Neech said:

He's not the classic defensive anchor vet, more like the guy who needs a defensive anchor as his partner. Hutson could fill that role in a few years, at which point Matheson will be expendable. We'll not be contending before then, so I'd be fine getting a future core piece for him.

He just is such a slick skater and should be valuable for a few years, i wouldnt want to trade him anytime soon, is all.

(Even Savard is fine as 2nd pair RD, for now)

Just now, DON said:

He just is such a slick skater and should be valuable for a few years, i wouldnt want to trade him anytime soon, is all.

The only reason I'm proposing it is because we have a glut of defensive prospects, especially on the left side, and not enough top forwards.  If Matheson is healthy and productive this year, he could net us a great return.

I also feel better playing Matheson 25+minutes instead of a younger d, Hutson hopefully starts (and they leave him there) in Laval in 24-25 season.

19 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

What difference does it make if Price is not placed on ltir?

Any bonuses earned on ELCs wouldnt necessarily carry over to 2024.  Anything we can fit under this years cap would count there first before the carryover penalty applies.

If price is Ltir.  No bonuses can fit under cap and they will all go to 2024-25 as a cap penalty of earned.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Matheson is awesome. Keep him.

Yup and hes young enough to still be a good age in the rebuild.  Keep him 3-4 years and then trade him when he gets to the age petry was when we moved him.

5 hours ago, Neech said:

He moves the puck well, but he is not the classic defensively-deficient point-producer that NEEDS a defensive anchor ... strikes me as fairly well-rounded ... I think he could be the long-term veteran presence for this evolving D-corps ... good mentor for Guhle, Harris, Barron and Kovacevic; and a year or two from now Hutson as well.

4 hours ago, DON said:

I also feel better playing Matheson 25+minutes instead of a younger d, Hutson hopefully starts (and they leave him there) in Laval in 24-25 season.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Matheson is awesome. Keep him.

Agreed

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Yup and hes young enough to still be a good age in the rebuild.  Keep him 3-4 years and then trade him when he gets to the age petry was when we moved him.

That fits with an extension before/during 25/26 and a trade sometime during that deal

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

That means extending him, which carries more risk and makes him harder to trade. Right now he's on a sweetheart deal.

2 minutes ago, Neech said:

That means extending him, which carries more risk and makes him harder to trade. Right now he's on a sweetheart deal.

Hopefully that will be in a normal cap world ... I think Savard is gone after 24/25, at the latest ... they will need a veteran throughout the transition to the youngsters ... wouldn't trade him now or next season out of fear of the extension.

5 hours ago, Neech said:

The only reason I'm proposing it is because we have a glut of defensive prospects, especially on the left side, and not enough top forwards.  If Matheson is healthy and productive this year, he could net us a great return.

We already played the kids too much last year. They need insulation. Some mY take another step, while others may take a step back. You can’t through them in positions where they aren’t going to succeed.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Hopefully that will be in a normal cap world ... I think Savard is gone after 24/25, at the latest ... they will need a veteran throughout the transition to the youngsters ... wouldn't trade him now or next season out of fear of the extension.

He also has had some injury issues, which makes an extension riskier. I agree about having veteran leadership on the D corps, but we could possibly pick that up on the cheap in a year or two, while getting a big return for Matheson.

4 minutes ago, Neech said:

He also has had some injury issues, which makes an extension riskier. I agree about having veteran leadership on the D corps, but we could possibly pick that up on the cheap in a year or two, while getting a big return for Matheson.

Cheap veteran leadership would be like picking up a 4th liner to mentor Slafkovsky ... and if your injury concerns are legit then I doubt NHL GMs are going to give the Habs a "big return".

17 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Cheap veteran leadership would be like picking up a 4th liner to mentor Slafkovsky ... and if your injury concerns are legit then I doubt NHL GMs are going to give the Habs a "big return".

Eddy and Savard are good veteran leaders picked up on the cheap. If Matheson is healthy and scores 50 points this year, he'll be highly sought after with two years remaining at a good cap number. Totally different calculus to (a) dole out a pricy extension to an injury-prone player, and (b) to trade that pricy extension when the player is on the wrong side of 30.

I'm fine with keeping Matheson, but an extension brings big risks and we may want to give that money to our young core. He is also one of the few players we have who could bring in a big haul on the trade market.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We already played the kids too much last year. They need insulation. Some mY take another step, while others may take a step back. You can’t through them in positions where they aren’t going to succeed.

I agree and that is basically my main argument for not trading Edmundson at this point and waiting until the trade deadline and get a higher return for him.  Besides, the Habs have 4 rookie dmen with 3 spots for them and there are 80 games in a season.  3 x 80 = 320, and 320/4 = 60.  The rookies are waiver exempt so 4 rookie dmen could play 60 NHL games each. (I'd keep WiFi in NHL the whole season).  Plus, there will inevitably be injuries so some of those rookies probably wouldn't need to be sent down to play in the AHL anyway.  

Matheson is really good with a great contract and he is from Quebec and speaks French so I'm certainly confused as to why anyone would suggest trading him.  

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Besides, the Habs have 4 rookie dmen with 3 spots for them

How do you count three spots? With Edmundson gone, and Savard presumably staying, that should leave four spots. Wideman likely will not see much NHL action this year unless we have another injury-riddled year.

Although the rookie D-men are technically rookies no more ...

How is Mattheson injury prone.  Hes had some minor stuff but nothing of the serious variety.

And didnt we learn with Markov, that this label isnt one to throw around too easily.  Most thought he was done and then he didnt miss a game for like four years.

43 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

How do you count three spots? With Edmundson gone, and Savard presumably staying, that should leave four spots. Wideman likely will not see much NHL action this year unless we have another injury-riddled year.

Although the rookie D-men are technically rookies no more ...

Yes, with Edmundson gone there is 4 spots.  However, I' said that on the basis of if they hadn't traded Edmundson yet and had waited until the trade deadline to do so.  It was an alternative suggestion for handling the issue of too many sophomores and not enough spots.  It would also help insulate them as would playing Wideman so the youngsters aren't expected to play 80+ gms.    

When does Mailloux have his hearing with Bettman?  As soon as he gets the nod I'd start shopping Savard.  Now that the PLD saga is over and the Habs didn't get him Savard is expendable.  I was into keeping Savard on the basis of PLD but that no longer applicable.  They're best friends from their CBJ days so I wouldn't be surprised to see Savard in LA when he's a UFA - possibly sooner.