Habs Pre-season 2023-2024

alfredoh2009

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I tried something different for a postgame format last night - any feedback (good or bad) is appreciated to see if this is a style we'd like to switch to regularly, some of the time, or not at all.

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/09/ten-thoughts-habs-snap-a-long-preseason-winless-streak/

I thought it was outstanding 👍

Interesting idea about HuGo taking on salary to get to LTR benefits. There was such a push to not use it. 

The prospect of picking up a good pick, such as Monahan’s first, gets me excited. 

Cap space is king in the league right now with many teams dancing around with it. 

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I tried something different for a postgame format last night - any feedback (good or bad) is appreciated to see if this is a style we'd like to switch to regularly, some of the time, or not at all.

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/09/ten-thoughts-habs-snap-a-long-preseason-winless-streak/

I like it. A full game recap is easily found via video. I enjoyed the format of the ten thoughts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Love it.

the take on Gignac is very interesting, and the note on Monahan answers my question.

I have watched a game yet, waiting until the first cuts

I dig the 10 thoughts concept.

I liked Monahan's game too, especially when he was on the PK late in the game.  Sean sorta messed up and dropped his stick and then Joseph was near him with the puck.  Instead of Monahan picking up his stick he skated right into Joseph and knocked him on his ass.  Joseph ended up losing his stick too and Monahan recovered his stick before the Sen got back up.

Appreciate the feedback, guys.  We might still play around with it a bit in the coming games.

Speaking of which, this is Toronto's lineup for tonight featuring the other part of the Brett Kulak trade a couple of years ago:

Bertuzzi - Holmberg - Gregor
Knies - Minten - Lafferty
Robertson - Kampf - Reaves
Abruzzese - Shaw - Ellis

Giordano - Liljegren
Lagesson - Timmins
Sova - Kokkonen

Samsonov
Petruzzelli

Armia on the top line, I dould not have said better:

"He's a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma that shoots four feet wide."

— Marc Dumont

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Armia on the top line, I dould not have said better:

"He's a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma that shoots four feet wide."

— Marc Dumont

I think Armia always looks good at camp. He is big and strong, skates well but when the games start he just can't seem to put it all together or he gets hurt just when he starts playing well. I think he is a classic case of the sum being less value than the individual pieces.   We just need 1 GM out there to fall in love with his skill set. Maybe he gets off to a great start this year and it gives Hughes a chance to unload him. There I go dreaming again. 

5 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think Armia always looks good at camp. He is big and strong, skates well but when the games start he just can't seem to put it all together or he gets hurt just when he starts playing well. I think he is a classic case of the sum being less value than the individual pieces.   We just need 1 GM out there to fall in love with his skill set. Maybe he gets off to a great start this year and it gives Hughes a chance to unload him. There I go dreaming again. 

salary cap side, I think he would be great on a high scoring team that needs a big body along the boards to get the puck and to play defensively. On an EDM ot PIT 3rd line, he would be awesome and could play on a top-6 line when he is hot.

but the salary cap gets in the way of a trade

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

salary cap side, I think he would be great on a high scoring team that needs a big body along the boards to get the puck and to play defensively. On an EDM ot PIT 3rd line, he would be awesome and could play on a top-6 line when he is hot.

but the salary cap gets in the way of a trade

Yes, he could be a very effective 3rd line player on a good team but good teams usually don't have 3.4M to shell out for a 3rd line winger. 

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yes, he could be a very effective 3rd line player on a good team but good teams usually don't have 3.4M to shell out for a 3rd line winger. 

except at the trade deadline

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If Armia didn't have 1 year left on his contract after this year then there would be a good chance to trade him at the deadline this year. I think we might have to wait a year. 

I do not disagree with you, but if I wa running a team with a chance to go for the cup and Armia was the missing piece in my lineup: I would take him and worry about trading him, or next year's cap, later

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I do not disagree with you, but if I wa running a team with a chance to go for the cup and Armia was the missing piece in my lineup: I would take him and worry about trading him, or next year's cap, later

Armia seems washed up at 30.

43 minutes ago, DON said:

Armia seems washed up at 30.

Perry, Eric Stall looked washed up most of the regular seasons they played recently. They are complementary pieces for specific roles and limited minutes.

I can see Armia being sent on a late game faceoff on the offensive zone by a team in the lead to keep the puck on the boards and get another faceoff to kill time.

... that type of thing that a team may need on their progress to the cup

On 9/28/2023 at 11:02 AM, dlbalr said:

6 yeas later... :D

On 1/3/2017 at 8:39 AM, JoeLassister said:

I like this Mathieu Joseph.  What would it take to get him from the Bolts ?

10 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Well, that's not a game that the coaches will be happy with.  Not too many bubble players made much of an impact - Ylonen did okay at least.  Parker-Jones fared better than I thought he would; he has gotten better since last season.

The second and third periods were not good at all!

Primeau wasn’t bad but he looks so awkward in his movements. 

Parker-Jones was surprising to me. He moved that giant body and attacked the net. Better than I was expecting. 

Surely a better roster and more exciting game tonight 

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Can’t wait to see Caufield, Suzuki, Newhook 

Also looking forward to Guhle, Reinbacker 

IMG_0237.jpeg

You  ARE  excited about the lineup ... 😉