2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

This is intended to provide an area for general Habs discussion outside the 23/24 NHL thread.

I can't see the Gidorah* Goalie situation lasting more than 5-10 games ... I expect they would love to move Allen's contract if they can find a trade that Allen likes (it seems he has an informal, Hughes' promise NTC) ... an early season injury of another teams' starter could be a tipping point.

* - King Ghidorah (キングギドラ, Kingu Gidora) is a fictional monster, or kaiju, which first appeared in Ishirō Honda's 1964 film Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster. 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I can't see the Gidorah* Goalie situation lasting more than 5-10 games ... I expect they would love to move Allen's contract if they can find a trade that Allen likes (it seems he has an informal, Hughes' promise NTC) ... an early season injury of another teams' starter could be a tipping point. 

I don't think Montreal has much, if any, interest in moving Allen right now.  They like his off-ice leadership and they're not ready to commit to Montembeault yet.  If they move Allen now and Montembeault goes back to his old form, then they're down to just Primeau (if they're able to sneak him through waivers) for next season which isn't ideal.  I don't think they want to lose their safety value (Allen) just yet as a result.  If Montembeault does well in the first half and signs an extension, perhaps then moving Allen becomes an option worth considering.

By the way, on top of the informal NTC you suggest (which I think is accurate), he does have a firm seven-team NTC as well.

When asked whether being in the playoff race at the trade deadline could change the "youth plan" (1:46), Hughes says they won't sacrifice the future to win this year ... but they would consider ways to improve the team if it didn't impact the future ... on Slafkovsky (1:58) Hughes says they see progress in his converting from a CC-type scorer that he had always been able to be, to a power forward style.

It’s been a long time since I’ve actually had an interest in watching the habs- can’t help following them, but it was hard to be optimistic that we actually were going to be a good team. I hadn’t even bothered trying to get tickets for a game during the last 8 years. 

Picked up lower bowl seats for when the habs are in town in March - will be my son’s first live hockey game. With the game closer to the end of the season, I’m hoping Caufield will be on the hunt for 50, Suzuki/Dach on pace for 80+ points and a couple of prospects like Roy and Slafkovsky start showing signs of being ready to break Putnam well!  

fun time to be a Habs fan again!!! 

• Like 2

FYI for anyone looking to watch (nearly) all the Habs games: you can use 2324SEASON to get a $50 discount for Sportsnet+ Premium. If you are outside the Habs' home region, that will give you the ability to watch all but a small handful of games for $200 + HST for the year. (Other NHL games and some other sports also included in case someone here watches things other than Habs games!)

Legal, good picture quality, no dodgy ads, ability to replay and ability to pause and/or go back and review plays. At about $2.50/game it's not a bad deal at all.

3 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Is it to late to avoid putting Price on ltir now that Dach is gone longterm?

Although dlbair confirmed it is (above) ... why would it matter if it wasn't too late?  Is there a benefit to having Dach on LTIR rather than Price?   And if they could swap, I don't think the Habs would be cap compliant.

Interesting break down on goals against.

5 Alarming Issues With The Habs – Cheering The Logo

They have allowed 12 goals this season:

1 at 5 on 5
1 at 4 on 4
2 at 5 on 4 (their own PP)
1 at 3 on 5 (PK)
4 at 4 on 5 (PK)
3 at 5 on 6 (goalie pulled)
So at 5 on 5, they are outscoring their opponents 8-1. At even strength (including 4 on 4), they’re outscoring them 8-2.

The issue? The team leads the NHL in minor penalties with 24 in three games. You don’t need to be a math expert to see where the issue is here: poor special teams with a team leading the league in penalties… bad combination.

Taking lots of penalties seems typical of a very young team, though. 

Keeping in mind MSL’s overall philosophy of focusing on one thing at a time, I doubt we are going to see a transformed PK any time soon. If I were him I’d be focusing on teaching kids not to take stupid penalties.

And I suspect out strong even-strength performance will suffer without Dach in the lineup. But I would love to be wrong.

10 hours ago, DON said:

Interesting break down on goals against.

5 Alarming Issues With The Habs – Cheering The Logo

They have allowed 12 goals this season:

1 at 5 on 5
1 at 4 on 4
2 at 5 on 4 (their own PP)
1 at 3 on 5 (PK)
4 at 4 on 5 (PK)
3 at 5 on 6 (goalie pulled)
So at 5 on 5, they are outscoring their opponents 8-1. At even strength (including 4 on 4), they’re outscoring them 8-2.

The issue? The team leads the NHL in minor penalties with 24 in three games. You don’t need to be a math expert to see where the issue is here: poor special teams with a team leading the league in penalties… bad combination.

I think this has been true for a number of years. Very good 5 on 5 team with incredibly poor special teams. 

This was going to be the first year with two complete scoring lines - Suzuki and Dach.  

What might have been 

MSL has said that when he took over it was midseason and didnt have much practice time.  Last year given the young team the focus was 5v5 and not special teams.

Its early but the plan was to focus on and improve.those special teams this year.  So far the 5v5 is working but the specials have been a disaster.  That obviously needs to be solved and quickly.

23 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Pretty cool that Hutson is #1

Considering how great Roy is looking it says a lot about Hutson 

And Hutson is out injured, so an even more impressive year this year, kinda seems unlikely now.

And Reinbacher hasnt played in almost 2 weeks.:wall:

23 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Pretty cool that Hutson is #1

Considering how great Roy is looking it says a lot about Hutson 

Again, these are results from fans not scouts.  Hutson seems to be having a tougher time so far this year, perhaps teams are keying on him a bit more. Maybe good preparation for what he will face at higher levels. 

Wasnt part of plan that St Louis spoke of last year, was for Anderson to conserve his energy somewhat at times and pick his spots to charge full bore?

Last game he seemed like he was a raging bull going down the ice chasing loose pucks for little benefit, then was gassed & useless in own end.

Even a slow Gallagher was able beat out an icing in that game.

Canadiens’ management of David Savard’s injury provides window into their priorities - The Athletic

Nice to hear stuff like this;

"At one point during a zone entry drill, Logan Mailloux gave Sean Farrell a bit too much room to not only enter the zone, but also turn the corner on him and head to the net. Nicholas immediately stopped the drill before Farrell had a chance to finish the play and emphasized to Mailloux the need to close his gap with Farrell and make that entry more difficult. He then started the drill again, and this time Mailloux was right on top of Farrell as he attempted to enter the zone."

If Mailloux can learn & become capable in his own end, he should be a half-decent NHLer at worst.

• Like 1

I hear the new NHL Edge advanced stat are interesting for the Habs. 

ex:  Slaf is faster than Newhook, who is known for his speed.  Slaf's clocked @ 22.64 mph and Newhook @ 21.31.  It seems like all that fancy smancy sciencey training stuff Slaf did over the summer might have paid off.  

Other noteworthy stats:  WiFi's shot is ranked 6th in NHL @ 99.76 mph, and Matheson's is 10th @ 97.67.  

I appreciate that Slaf looks like he's progressing...but - not to be a crab - I also notice he has 1 point in 8 games. 😬 It'd be nice if he could start producing a little bit.

9 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I hear the new NHL Edge advanced stat are interesting for the Habs. 

ex:  Slaf is faster than Newhook, who is known for his speed.  Slaf's clocked @ 22.64 mph and Newhook @ 21.31.  It seems like all that fancy smancy sciencey training stuff Slaf did over the summer might have paid off.  

Other noteworthy stats:  WiFi's shot is ranked 6th in NHL @ 99.76 mph, and Matheson's is 10th @ 97.67.  

Slaf has high top speed with mediocre acceleration. 

Newhook has high end acceleration with good top speed. 

At least that’s been my observation 

Other cool stats that I read this morning are that Habs are tied with Boston for best goalie stats with Allen leading the way. 

IMG_0250.jpeg