Game #4 Oct. 21, Capitals vs Canadiens, 7 PM

dlbalr

53 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Allen has been great and we are fortunate to be up by one considering only 5 shots. 

The Habs were shooting from the outside and most of their shots were being blocked, only five getting through in the first period.

Overtime *** SHOULD *** be to the Habs favour ... Caps are slow.

The Habs played a pretty good game overall. Allen certainly saved their bacon in the first and made many great saves throughout the game. 

Harris is on another level with his stick work. He reads the play and intercepts with his stick over and over. 

Newhook kind of reminds me of Drouin 🤔

30 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Oh the PP, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory once again. 

What stings a bit is that some of those power plays were actually half-decent.  1/7 looks bad for the game and there were certainly missed opportunities but we've seen way worse from Montreal's power play.

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

What stings a bit is that some of those power plays were actually half-decent.  1/7 looks bad for the game and there were certainly missed opportunities but we've seen way worse from Montreal's power play.

Agreed, if they keep doing those things the PP is going to work eventually.

Good game from Allen but feel like the Habs deserved this win.

If caufield stays healthy hes gonna get 40, maybe 50.

A 2-0 lead has always been perilous in hockey...perhaps never more so than in today's high-octane league. Add to that a young, sub-playoff club, and Washington's comeback seemed inevitable. What a pity the PP is so impotent. Thank goodness for Canfield!! 

Ironically, I thought they looked significantly better in the Ozone in this game.  They were moving around more and creating open passing lanes better than they usually do.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Newhook kind of reminds me of Drouin 🤔.

I find that to be a strange comment.  He certainly doesn't remind me of Drouin 1 bit.  

I thought Pearson played well in this game.  I liked that he drew a penalty and Newhook's pass to send him on breakaway but it's a shame he didn't score.

5 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Ironically, I thought they looked significantly better in the Ozone in this game.  They were moving around more and creating open passing lanes better than they usually do.

I find that to be a strange comment.  He certainly doesn't remind me of Drouin 1 bit.  

I thought Pearson played well in this game.  I liked that he drew a penalty and Newhook's pass to send him on breakaway but it's a shame he didn't score.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Just kill me now

I meant in style not effectiveness!

Shifty, speedy, good passing vision. 

I think Newhook is a better winger than a centre, also like Drouin. 

I like Newhook quite a bit

I always like to see Monahan score for a few reasons:

1) he is class act and deserves success

2) it means he is healthy and playing

3) it will pump up his trade value at the deadline should they decide to trade him

He has really impressed me with his smarts. Certainly a guy that can help any playoff contender.  He looks great this year. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I always like to see Monahan score for a few reasons:

1) he is class act and deserves success

2) it means he is healthy and playing

3) it will pump up his trade value at the deadline should they decide to trade him

He has really impressed me with his smarts. Certainly a guy that can help any playoff contender.  He looks great this year. 

In a way, it's strange that people are surprised. Monahan was a #6 overall pick and an absolute stud, 30-goal scoring C and franchise cornerstone for years, until injuries derailed him. He also looked fantastic in 25 games last season. 

When healthy, this guy is a serious, impactful hockey player. 

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

In a way, it's strange that people are surprised. Monahan was a #6 overall pick and an absolute stud, 30-goal scoring C and franchise cornerstone for years, until injuries derailed him. He also looked fantastic in 25 games last season. 

I-M-O ... ***if*** he stays healthy, is willing to sign a reasonable 2-4 year contract and would accept the role, he would be the PERFECT 3rd line centre going forward.

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Absolutely.  "When healthy" is the key. He just turned 29 so hopefully he has a lot of hockey left but the Habs seem to be cursed with injuries and Monahan's injury history is something to be concerned about. There is no doubt we can get a 1st round pick for him at the deadline if he is healthy. 

Four years would be quite reasonable, it would take him to age 33. If he's willing to do that. He has close to $50M in career earnings so he doesn't need another seven years beyond this, but of course he may want that ...

Let's see. It could be a very interesting option for the Habs.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I-M-O ... ***if*** he stays healthy, is willing to sign a reasonable 2-4 year contract and would accept the role, he would be the PERFECT 3rd line centre going forward.

Yes, but if he stays healthy this year he will likely be able to cash in big time as he becomes a free agent. How much of a home town discount would he give the Habs?  I think if he is healthy at the trade deadline and you get an offer you like then you take it. 

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yes, but if he stays healthy this year he will likely be able to cash in big time as he becomes a free agent. How much of a home town discount would he give the Habs?  I think if he is healthy at the trade deadline and you get an offer you like then you take it. 

I agree, unless he has agreed to an extension ... if Beck proves to have enough offence to be a playoff team 3C (after all that is the objective) then Monahan can slot in wherever needed on the wing in the Top 6/9.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It hadn't occurred to me that we might re-sign Monahan. The decision is complicated, it seems to me, by Dach's catastrophic injury. Prior to that, I think it was obvious that we should ship him out at the deadline. But now, who knows how Dach will recover and what the effects will be on his development? We might well find ourselves in need of a patch-up option at C for the next 3-4 years. 

I still think the right move is to ship out Monahan at the deadline, though, assuming you get the kind of return you should expect for an impact top-6 calibre C at the deadline. If he ends up injured again, then re-signing him at a cheaper rate as damaged goods might be appealing, just as it was this summer.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Four years would be quite reasonable, it would take him to age 33. If he's willing to do that. He has close to $50M in career earnings so he doesn't need another seven years beyond this, but of course he may want that ...

Let's see. It could be a very interesting option for the Habs.

Monohan was the type of guy I wish the Habs had 6-7 years ago. He is someone who is skilled, gives it his all every shift, has high hockey IQ, size and as an extremely low maintenance player before he started getting hit by injuries. I think he has surgery in both wrists, groin, both hips, ankles, and has had these issues to same areas in nikole years.

He looks great right now and while he is only 29, he has a LOT of wear and tear on his body. As someone with torn labrum’s and rotators in both shoulders, torn miniscus in both knees and had to have 3 tenatomies  to get bi-lateral tennis and golf elbow under control, as well as wrist and ankle issues, I know first hand that when you start having chronic injuries, just when you think you’re okay, you get hit with something else. Monohan’s injury history since 2017 has been consistently bad.

if he is healthy and productive he will want 4-6 years at $6m+. Is that something we want to risk? We already saw the outcome of signing Gallagher to a long term deal. I’d be okay signing him for two years, but we can’t risk having dead cap space on the books in year three when we should be ready to compete and will have other young players to resign. If he stays healthy and productive, but isn’t willing to sign for a max two years contract by the deadline, we have to trade him. We need at least two more years after this year to develop our young players and he could help in that, but we can’t risk having cap space tied up on someone with chronic injury history beyond that.

• tomh009 changed the title to Game #4 Oct. 21, Capitals vs Canadiens, 7 PM