2024 NHL Entry Draft

25 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The Flyers traded the smaller Forsberg for the bigger, stronger Lindros. How did that deal work out for them? If we win the lottery, we should be taking the smaller Celebrini.

Interesting that Lindros was traded for Forsberg straight up.  I would have thought the deal included Ricci, 2 1st rnd picks, $15 mil in cash, + numerous other players.

Yes, if you pick 1st you take Celebrini because he is the consensus 1st over all pick.  However, thats irrelevant to my original point. 

I'm surprised that there are 2 players that being compared to a 1st over all pick (Lindros), and a 2nd over-all that should have been a 1st over-all (Pronger) and that the #1 is so much further ahead of them and that neither of them are locks in the top 3 of this draft.  

58 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Interesting that Lindros was traded for Forsberg straight up.  I would have thought the deal included Ricci, 2 1st rnd picks, $15 mil in cash, + numerous other players.

Yes, if you pick 1st you take Celebrini because he is the consensus 1st over all pick.  However, thats irrelevant to my original point. 

I'm surprised that there are 2 players that being compared to a 1st over all pick (Lindros), and a 2nd over-all that should have been a 1st over-all (Pronger) and that the #1 is so much further ahead of them and that neither of them are locks in the top 3 of this draft.  

But who is actually comparing Lindstrom to Lindros?  I haven't seen anyone credible say that.  Someone having a similar playing style as Lindros doesn't mean they're the next Lindros.  Same with Silayev.  That his playing style is similar to Pronger/Chara doesn't mean he's openly being called the next Pronger/Chara. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Well ... Forsberg won 2 Cups and Lindros won zero ... but Lindros score 100+ more goals.

I’d take Forsberg over Lindros every time. If you want to talk about compete factor as a criteria - Lindros may have the size, but doesn’t come close to Forsberg in heart, drive, or skill. Both had their careers cut short by injuries, but Forsberg was not only the more complete player, he was also the more skilled player.

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Yes., and I’m sure the Flyers regretted that deal. Even on a one for one deal,  on way would I move Forsberg for Lindros. Forsberg won everywhere he played. Lindros not so much.
Forsberg - 2 Stanley cups, 2 Olympic golds, Calder, Hart trophies, art ross.

lindros - Olympic silver (lost to Forsberg), Olympic gold, 2 WJC, Hart trophy

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The Flyers traded the smaller Forsberg for the bigger, stronger Lindros. How did that deal work out for them? If we win the lottery, we should be taking the smaller Celebrini.

I  think there is little doubt the Habs are taking Celebrini should they win the lottery. 

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I hate the draft by need approach. Last year was a forward heavy draft and we passed on Michkov and Leonard. This year if a dman is clearly better than the available forwards, I’d still take the dman.

This is the key. If a player is clearly better, you take BPA. Everytime.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DON said:

6'7" kid who hits a bit & can skate OK, i couldnt see too many GMs passing on him before he goes.

A big guy who can hit and skate OK ... if that's all he is, is he really more than just Anderson 2.0?

I have never seen him play, but surely we need something more than just size, hitting and OK skating.

22 hours ago, dlbalr said:

But who is actually comparing Lindstrom to Lindros?  I haven't seen anyone credible say that.  Someone having a similar playing style as Lindros doesn't mean they're the next Lindros.  Same with Silayev.  That his playing style is similar to Pronger/Chara doesn't mean he's openly being called the next Pronger/Chara. 

I agree, I think it is more about style. When I see Lindstrom I see a similar style to Getzlaff, big, tough, mean and skilled and perhaps maybe even a better skater. That's the kind of center that gets me excited and I think would be a great compliment to Suzuki. 

I would love to win the draft lottery and get Celebrini but realistically we are drafting 5-8 and my hope is that Lindstrom is still available when we draft. 

On 2/10/2024 at 7:30 PM, tomh009 said:

A big guy who can hit and skate OK ... if that's all he is, is he really more than just Anderson 2.0?

I have never seen him play, but surely we need something more than just size, hitting and OK skating.

So a potential Chara 2.0 dosent interest you?

(I know I know; could be a Tyler Myers or Popovic just as easy)

Anyways, i didnt say i wanted Hughes to take him; just saying, a 6'7" d-man will attract alot of attention from all GMs and scouts. Gorton i get impression is bit blinded by SIZE.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Anyways, i didnt say i wanted Hughes to take him; just saying, a 6'7" d-man will attract alot of attention from all GMs and scouts. Gorton i get impression is bit blinded by SIZE.

He is supposed to be a really good skater and has been ranked in the top 5 in many reports. He is most certainly attracting a lot of attention. 

2024 NHL Mock Draft | 2024 NHL Draft | NHL Draft (mynhldraft.com)

5 hours ago, DON said:

Slafkovsky is proving why he was taken first overall.  Hughes got it right despite taking size.

Dach hasnt stayed healthy but when he has been, has shown he has talent.  He didnt prioritize size over talent there.

HuGo used high picks to trade for Newhook, draft Mesar and Hutson.  He also took Beck who is 6'0".

I dont see him blinded by size.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Slafkovsky is proving why he was taken first overall.  Hughes got it right despite taking size.

Dach hasnt stayed healthy but when he has been, has shown he has talent.  He didnt prioritize size over talent there.

HuGo used high picks to trade for Newhook, draft Mesar and Hutson.  He also took Beck who is 6'0".

Agreed, there is no evidence to indicate HuGo is prioritizing size. Size is nice but size without skill is useless and Slaf and Dach certainly have skill. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

11 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agreed, there is no evidence to indicate HuGo is prioritizing size. Size is nice but size without skill is useless and Slaf and Dach certainly have skill. 

At most he is doing what I think we all would prefer, prioritizing size when all other factors are relatively equal.

1 hour ago, sim.on said:

Who are the three who did better?

image.png

From https://www.quanthockey.com/liiga/en/player-age/17-year-old-liiga-players.html ... adjusted for last night's hat trick ... per the website he had played 41 games before last night, so also adjusted ... "re-calculated" in Excel ... rankings for G/Gm, A/Gm and Pts/Gm added by me.

So ... the three who have had better seasons are an elite player, a decent/very-good NHLer and a thus-far disappointing(?)/unproven prospect.

Jari Torkki got a cup-of-coffee with Chicago in the late 80s and amidst two decent AHL seasons and then, as was often the case at the time, he went home.

Armia scored at a higher pace, but we have seen his issues in the NL are less talent than effort/head/motivation/???

Good news about Helenius as a draft prospect is that ranks ahead of Lehkonen (good/very good NHLer), and well-clear of Jesse Puljujärvi and Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

25 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

image.png

From https://www.quanthockey.com/liiga/en/player-age/17-year-old-liiga-players.html ... adjusted for last night's hat trick ... per the website he had played 41 games before last night, so also adjusted ... "re-calculated" in Excel ... rankings for G/Gm, A/Gm and Pts/Gm added by me.

So ... the three who have had better seasons are an elite player, a decent/very-good NHLer and a thus-far disappointing(?)/unproven prospect.

Jari Torkki got a cup-of-coffee with Chicago in the late 80s and amidst two decent AHL seasons and then, as was often the case at the time, he went home.

Armia scored at a higher pace, but we have seen his issues in the NL are less talent than effort/head/motivation/???

Good news about Helenius as a draft prospect is that ranks ahead of Lehkonen (good/very good NHLer), and well-clear of Jesse Puljujärvi and Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

I don't think anyone would complain if he turned into a Barkov but obviously not as big, from the clips I have seen his style is more similar to Suzuki (ie. excellent puck handler, smart with the puck etc). I think if Lindstrom is off the boards when the Habs draft (very likely) then Helenius will get serious consideration. 

3 hours ago, sim.on said:

Who are the three who did better?

The season isn't over, but Barkov, Granlund and Kakko.  He has an outside chance to be second with only Barkov ahead.

He's also ahead of Laine, which is a good person to be ahead of, considering he was trending as an elite NHLer prior to injuries and now off-ice issues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think anyone would complain if he turned into a Barkov but obviously not as big, from the clips I have seen his style is more similar to Suzuki (ie. excellent puck handler, smart with the puck etc). I think if Lindstrom is off the boards when the Habs draft (very likely) then Helenius will get serious consideration. 

He reminds me of Saku

Just now, Commandant said:

He reminds me of Saku

Wouldn't that be a nice outcome if the Habs draft him.

On 2/14/2024 at 10:34 AM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think everyone would be happy if he turned out to be another Saku or Suzuki. 

I would be happy to have one like one of these folks instead... somehow someway someyear... Naslund in the top 10 was just a lil while ago.

image.png