2024 NHL Entry Draft

How bad is this??  I was looking ahead to the 2025 draft and they have Calgary with 4 x 1st round picks. According to this Calgary has Montreal's 1st round pick??  What sloppy, pathetic journalism. Do some homework!!

2025 NHL Mock Draft | NHL Draft Rounds - Lines.com

This year (2024), I asked our panel of scouts for their Top 12 as I was inclined to probably go with just 12 names again, but if the polling results justified it, I was fully prepared to expand it to any number up to and including 16.

I was quite surprised by the results. Shocked actually. 

In a draft where, pick by individual pick in the Top 12, there is very little consensus (a wide array of prospects got consideration at virtually every pick outside of Nos. 1 and 2; there is (at this moment in time) an almost unbelievable level of consensus on who are viewed by our scouting panel as the top 15 prospects in this draft.

That is, only 17 prospects showed up in our Top 12 polling and — here’s the kicker — two of those 17 only got mentioned one time apiece. The other 15 were mentioned four or more times and seven of them were on all 10 (Top 12) ballots.

1 minute ago, Helmethead said:

Well that was uneventful….

:tumbleweed:

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I’m glad it’s over and we are picking fifth. 

Yes, it would have been great to move up but I am quite satisfied to pick 5th. Easier for teams to make plans now knowing where they are drafting.

13 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

The Habs can still move up 10 spots twice in future drafts but at least the Hawks are done moving up for the next 5 years.

No the Hawks have only moved up once so far.  They can still win one of the upcoming lotteries (but not two of them).  Winning the lottery is defined as improving your spot in the draft order.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

The Habs can still move up 10 spots twice in future drafts but at least the Hawks are done moving up for the next 5 years.

The hawks didnt move up.

Just like the Habs "win" for slafkovsky doesnt count.  This doesnt count against the sharks or hawks 

It only counts if you move up.

Margarita Bob has this guy at #5. Big centre with injury issues 

5. Cayden Lindstrom

cayden-lindstrom-1-2006225-1694441448028

The 6-foot-3, 210-pound Medicine Hat Tiger scoring centre remains in the same slot he occupied at mid-season, but his draft day status will be heavily influenced by NHL team doctors and medical reports at the NHL Combine, June 2-8 in Buffalo. Lindstrom suffered a hand injury in December that required surgery and also was reportedly rehabbing a back ailment. He didn’t play any games for more than three months and came back to play in only four playoff games for the Tigers, tallying a goal and an assist and 14 penalty minutes. If he’s deemed healthy, that size and offensive potential make him an attractive Top 5 pick but if there are any concerns about the medical reports, well, teams are very interested to do that due diligence

@Commandant picked this guy at 5. 

Reading that summary Helenius sounds perfect for what we need. 

Helenius, Centre/Right Winger, Liiga

The player that Kyle had ranked over Eiserman, Helenius checked in at third (Fred) and fifth (Ben), landing him at the third spot in our consolidated rankings. Helenius has been very impressive thus far in the top Finnish men’s league with Jukurit. In 28 games thus far, he has scored an impressive eight goals and 12 assists for 20 points. For a 17-year-old, in a men’s league, only the best of the best young stars can pull that off.

The reason for the success starts with an outstanding skating ability. While he isn’t a burner, with an ability to leave defenders in the dust consistently, he instead has shifty edges, shaking off defenders like it is nothing. That, paired with a high-end IQ allows him to manipulate defenders and create space for himself. Strong playmaking instincts allow him to take advantage of that space as well. On top of the skill, despite his slim build, he works very hard to win pucks back for his team. Maybe not physically, with body checks, but instead with an overwhelming pressure leading with his stick. Smart skater, with skilled playmaking instincts, and a high-end work ethic that is producing well against men at a very young age.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

@Commandant picked this guy at 5. 

Reading that summary Helenius sounds perfect for what we need. 

The only "issue/question" I might raise is no mention of goal-scoring as a strength ... THAT is an obvious need for the Habs in the years to come, and something largely missing from the current prospect pool.

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The only "issue/question" I might raise is no mention of goal-scoring as a strength ... THAT is an obvious need for the Habs in the years to come, and something largely missing from the current prospect pool.

That’s an important observation. 

The summary did point out his 20 points in 28 games as a 17 year old in an adult league. 

But as you said, there are some great descriptions of his skills but scoring wasn’t one of them. 

34 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Catton scores alot.:thumbs_up:

Helenius has never been known as a sniper, more of an all around player with a great work ethic and a high hockey IQ. Can never have too many players like him on a team. Would probably be a safe choice. I really like Lindstrom but a little concerned about his injuries.

Hes more a playmaker than a goal scorer.

That said in 51 games Helenius had 14 goals in Liiga.

In the same league, at the same age, Slafkovsky had 5 goals in 31.

9 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Margarita Bob has this guy at #5. Big centre with injury issues 

5. Cayden Lindstrom

cayden-lindstrom-1-2006225-1694441448028

The 6-foot-3, 210-pound Medicine Hat Tiger scoring centre remains in the same slot he occupied at mid-season, but his draft day status will be heavily influenced by NHL team doctors and medical reports at the NHL Combine, June 2-8 in Buffalo. Lindstrom suffered a hand injury in December that required surgery and also was reportedly rehabbing a back ailment. He didn’t play any games for more than three months and came back to play in only four playoff games for the Tigers, tallying a goal and an assist and 14 penalty minutes. If he’s deemed healthy, that size and offensive potential make him an attractive Top 5 pick but if there are any concerns about the medical reports, well, teams are very interested to do that due diligence

He'll fit right in 😁

Celebrini going 1st.

And Demidov seems interesting fit with Bedard; but, hopefully the Hawks have a bigger hole on defense.

Which way will the Ducks & Columbus likely be leaning,  d or forward?

image.png

(Recent poll had Lindstrom as Habfans favourite to draft after Celebrini, i still would prefer Demidov/Catton for their skill/offense, but a potential powerhorse like Lindstrom is intriguing for sure.)