Trade Deadline 2024

Neech

Plays himself through waivers, but with 50% retention Hurricanes take a shot ... even with a season left on the deal ... is KK even the 4C any more?

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Don't have a lot of sympathy ... it is exactly the situation he should have known he was getting into last summer, and one on which he doubled down by trading for Karlsson ... after this season, they have 3-yrs of EK, 4-yrs of Letang, 2-yrs of Malkin and pending 2025 UFA Crosby ... they will have almost $12M in cap space this summer but not certain that can be used to get one of the oldest teams in the league back to the playoffs.

Agree, he knew it would be tough. I expect the Penguins to be drafting high in a couple years. The future there is not bright. 

If not Savard, might a Kovacevic get dealt, so Mailloux (and Reinbacher?) can get in a few games?

Low value but another 2026 pick spent by 'that' team... come on 1st round sweep!:devil:

image.png

image.png

Nice to see Toffoli going to the Jets, would be great for them do well in playoffs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Plays himself through waivers, but with 50% retention Hurricanes take a shot ... even with a season left on the deal ... is KK even the 4C any more?

KK is a 4th line winger now....next stop is being a healthy scratch.

46 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree, he knew it would be tough. I expect the Penguins to be drafting high in a couple years. The future there is not bright. 

They've been in denial of the need to rebuild - as often happens to teams that are chock-full of all-star veterans. It's exactly what happened to San Jose. Ironically, Karlsson has been a piece in both cases.

7 minutes ago, DON said:

Nice to see Toffoli going to the Jets, would be great for them do well in playoffs. 

Always liked Toffoli! Such a horrible skater, and yet he consistently gets it done. I hold no particular brief with Winnipeg, but would be happy to see him do well.

8 minutes ago, DON said:

Ehlers - Monahan - Toffoli should be an excellent 2nd line for them.

Just now, Commandant said:

summer buyout

Even better.  He can go float in Liiga from here on out....a definitive stamp on Bergevin and his scouting team being complete idiots for drafting him.

16 minutes ago, DON said:

I an happy for Toff. This tweet summarizes well how I feel:

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

100% agree with that!!

I'm a lover not a hater... Go Toffoli, Go! Go, Monahan, Go!

😍

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

#### that.... I will be cheering for the Jets to lose in the 1st or 2nd round so the Habs pick is better 

Montreal over everything. 

100% agree! Will Ali be rooting for the panthers to suck next year!

28 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I'm a lover not a hater... Go Toffoli, Go! Go, Monahan, Go!

😍

You can cheer for whoever or whatever you want.  You can be a fan of whoever and whatever you want.

I just will always cheer for whatever helps the Habs the most.  Cause I cheer for the Habs over everything else.   The logo on the front, not the name on the back of the jersey. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 9:15 AM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think it's important to Hughes to do right by the veterans and I agree with GHT120 that he could use the last retention spot to move Pearson if there is nothing else on the table. Hughes did his best to get Petry where he wanted to go (Detroit) so I believe it's definitely important to him to do the veterans a favour where he can. Reputation is important. 

I agree that Hughes seems to be more of a humanitarian than most other GM's.  That was a big part of my previous suggestion that the Habs might move Pezz.  If the Habs decided to move on from Pezz they could easily send him to Laval but that could potentially kill his NHL career.   In that scenario Hughes would likely send him to a team where he would stick around, like Van.  

No longer what he once was, but a nice depth move for the Panthers.

I honestly can't see KK being bought out.  What I can see if the Cannes dump KK is him admitting that there was collusion before UFA day regarding his offer sheet.  

I find Toffoli to the Jets to be extremely interesting.  I'm wondering if there will be some benefit to the Habs from that?  i.e. if Toffs plays with Money and they mesh well together.  There is a decent chance that Money returns to the Habs so will his new linemate want to return with him?  Neither of them are greedy with their contract asks so the Habs might be able to get 2 60+ pts guy for under $11 mil.  They'd be good linemates for Dach.

10 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

honestly can't see KK being bought out.  What I can see if the Cannes dump KK is him admitting that there was collusion before UFA day regarding his offer sheet.  

There is zero chance of Kotkaniemi imploding any future chance of playing in the NHL if the Canes were to buy him out. If he came out and said there was collusion, he would never play in the NHL again.