Jake Allen to NJD

huzer

This is absolutely fine, clears up the goaltending spot, a decent return. Using up the last retention spot means they are likely done with any big trades, Savard is almost certainly not going anywhere.  I wish Jake Allen the best, a class act. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Neech said:

I'm surprised that we could actually move him, good job Kent.

They had almost zero chance to move him without retention or taking back a bad contract. I think Hughes did the best he could and it was a good decision. 

Good deal.

Here's to Jake Allen for his admirable service to the CH. He provided much-needed support to Carey Price in his twilight years. A classy, worthy Montreal Canadien.

• Like 2

Agreed with the other comments regarding Jake Allen. A consummate pro, and I have nothing bad to say about his time with the team. I will admit to being a bit bummed that he moved on, for moderately selfish reasons. Jake is good friends with one of my son's current hockey coaches. I was looking forward to my son potentially having the opportunity to meet an active player on his favorite team in a few weeks, and of course bonus points for a youth goalie to get to meet an active NHL goalie!

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Allen only has to play 40 games to turn that third into a second. I feel that is an achievable marker. 

Worth noting, it's 40 games next year, not this season and next.  (Prior reporting said otherwise but it was recently revised.)

Just now, dlbalr said:

Worth noting, it's 40 games next year, not this season and next.  (Prior reporting said otherwise but it was recently revised.)

I just read that report about this season and next before I posted 💩

Much tougher to play half the games next season only - I’m not so confident anymore 

5 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Much tougher to play half the games next season only - I’m not so confident anymore 

Maybe the other Devils goalies will get hurt.

Good to see Montreal traded Allen for anything at all. I've never been a fan of his, and his time was overdue to leave.  Now Montreal will get more opportunities to see what they have in Primeau as their backup.

17 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It does make sense it would be for next season only, the key is Allen staying healthy and of course playing well. 

Pending no other moves, and excluding the unlikely conditions, this makes the Habs deadline:

OUT:

Monahan

Allen

Mysak

IN:

1st round pick WPG 2024

3rd round pick NJD 2025

Perreault

Net Salary difference for 24/25

-1,925,00, although another retention slot used. That's the first retention slot used on a player contract originated by Hughes.

Didn't use a retention slot for Petry? on that 3-way deal?

this is a very god return for Hughes. I am happy

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Didn't use a retention slot for Petry? on that 3-way deal?

this is a very god return for Hughes. I am happy

They did but that was before the season.  The summary was covering the trade deadline period.

An additional condition on the draft pick upgrade - it's 40 regular season games next year and Allen's team at the end of next season (NJ or otherwise) has to make the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Im glad they chose Primeau as the backup over Allen.

He may be moved later but for now bet on the youth.

I-M-O Primeau needs to get at least 8 games the rest of the way for Hughes to know whether they need to find a backup this summer or can plan on Cayden as the backup.

Happy for Allen that he gets to play more regularly.

For what is worth;

Last year 26 goalies played 40 games

Year before, 31 goalies played 40 games.

Glad to see Allen get traded and all 3 now can play more.