2023/2024 season playoff discussion

Leafs or Bruins?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins that series?

• Boston
    • Leafs

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Cant say i ever considered it, would always pull for Canadian teams, aside from Leafs (which havent threatened forever anyways).

Go Bruins!:1vomit:

I’m rooting for the two most u likely teams, and also for Roy. Otherwise, don’t care for either of those franchises.

have plenty of reasons to not root for the favourites and we’ll, basically every other team😁 Can’t root for Kreider, the Canes, oilers (no too many oilers fan who would be rubbing it in for years and I want the Habs to be the last ad next CDN team to win). Same logic with Canucks and jets. I also want the jets to get knocked out early, so our pick is higher! Leafs - hell no!  Ditto with Bruins! Don’t any MB to get a cup with Kings. Too many players pick Florida teams, Dallas and Vegas for the weather and tax advantage - so screw them all! Don’t mind Avs, but they should have taken Allen and given us a third, so screw them! Washington is hopeless and not really a playoff team anyways.

After my  Go Leafs Go over the Bruins, here is another very unpopular opinion of mine. 

Out of these two options, which one would you pick ?

A)  Habs win the Cup in 2028. Until then, Oilers, Jets and Canucks all win a Cup as well. 

B)  Habs win the Cup in 2028. In the meantime, any USA based teams win all the Cups until 2028.

I pick  A)  all day.

For my part, I couldn't care less about the whole "Canadian Cup" thing. 

Two of my most hated teams - Great Satan Toronto and minor irritant Ottawa - are Canadian. And I'd prefer that US teams win lots of Cups than that they win anything, ever.

I'm indifferent to Winnipeg (but dislike Scheifle for his savage assault on Evans); and I don't like Calgary because they are from Calgary. Now EDM is OK because of McDavid and their history of winning with speed and talent. Van I've discussed above. 

So other than mild support for Van, my attitude to the other teams ranges from indifference to bile-spewing loathing.

That said, I'm no enthusiast of these soulless American expansion markets. But we do see them win an awful lot. Carolina has iced multiple generations of contenders since coming into the league, while the Habs have not built a sustained contender once during that span. 

My general expectation in Bettman's NHL the Cup usually goes to the most soulless franchise possible. So by that logic, Dallas will win this year. 

Further thoughts on the Canucks series:

1. When Demko went down, the general tone was defiance: "hey, they have a winning record with DeSmith, etc." I told everyone that that was crap and that the Canucks are done. So far, so "good" for my prognostication skills...unfortunately.

2. Nashville plays exactly like the Jacques Martin Habs did. Collapse around the net, block shots like crazy, rely on opportunistic offence. Very frustrating to play against.

3. Mike McCarron has been doing a shockingly good job of neutralizing JT Miller, from what I can see. 

4. Noah Julsuun was the worst player on the ice in Game 2. A cardinal example of the old saw about a team's weakest link being what ultimately defines its success or failure.

I like this chart mapping all probabilities leading to a cup final:

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’m rooting for the two most u likely teams, and also for Roy. Otherwise, don’t care for either of those franchises.

I'm not rooting for Roy. While he was a superb player for the Habs, ultimately he put himself ahead of the team and left. It wasn't all him, but the decision was his. Had he stayed, we might have won another Cup.

I understand the situation, so I'm not holding a grudge, but neither am I going to root for him.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I'm not rooting for Roy.

Yep, agree.

Excellent player... thats about it isnt it?

Does he give back in Quebec? I dunno, may be he is a nice person, but who wins that series dont really care, Isles maybe i pull for but not because of the coach.

23 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The only scenario that could be worse would be to lose Hughes.

I had a feeling about the Canucks this year - they look ready for a deep run - but I doubt they can survive more than a couple of games without Demko.

Being the home team for me, I intended to cheerabout as much as I can for a non hab team. The Demko loss is a bad one.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I'm not rooting for Roy. While he was a superb player for the Habs, ultimately he put himself ahead of the team and left. It wasn't all him, but the decision was his. Had he stayed, we might have won another Cup.

I understand the situation, so I'm not holding a grudge, but neither am I going to root for him.

I am rooting for Roy, very unlikely he wins this series, but I am rooting for him.

He is a passionate hockey "lifer" and has a very intense coaching style, while showing his deep knowledge-of and respect-for the game in interviews. I think he is an interesting coach to follow.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am rooting for Roy, very unlikely he wins this series, but I am rooting for him.

He is a passionate hockey "lifer" and has a very intense coaching style, while showing his deep knowledge-of and respect-for the game in interviews. I think he is an interesting coach to follow.

I want Roy to win as well. 

The “incident” did break my heart and I was angry at all sides, including Roy. I let that go when his number was raised. 

I will never forget 1986 - Roy was beyond incredible and 1993 wasn’t far off. I’m a fan for life

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

After my  Go Leafs Go over the Bruins, here is another very unpopular opinion of mine. 

Out of these two options, which one would you pick ?

A)  Habs win the Cup in 2028. Until then, Oilers, Jets and Canucks all win a Cup as well. 

B)  Habs win the Cup in 2028. In the meantime, any USA based teams win all the Cups until 2028.

I pick  A)  all day.

Solid B.

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

No. It was up to Ronald Corey and Houle being idiots and choosing the drunk Tremblay - who had an issue with Roy from the time he was a rookie. 
Roy actually did try and stay after he cooled down. 

43 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I want Roy to win as well. 

The “incident” did break my heart and I was angry at all sides, including Roy. I let that go when his number was raised. 

I will never forget 1986 - Roy was beyond incredible and 1993 wasn’t far off. I’m a fan for life

I’ve got the Habs Roy “the wink” socks😀

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’ve got the Habs Roy “the wink” socks😀

That makes me chuckle, he was cocky and a winner.

But, Hasek was the best goalie i can recall.

The Jet goalie has surprisingly given up a boatload of goals.

Bruins-Leafs 1-1 2-1 Bruins start of early 3rd. go bruins:1vomit:.

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Bruins gotta start Swayman going forward!

That Tavares penalty at the end of the third was ridiculous. I’m still laughing about it. Leafs got screwed but they were losing anyway. 

Bruins, please win on Saturday 

The Tavares penalty should of been 2 each, but stick holding is almost never called.  You see players tuck the stick under their arm and squeeze because it'll be called a hook 50 times before it's called holding the stick.  Tavares did hold McAvoy.

Leafs fans are livid on reddit.  I don't understand how getting twice the amount of PP's as the other team are the refs against them.

2 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

The Tavares penalty should of been 2 each, but stick holding is almost never called.  You see players tuck the stick under their arm and squeeze because it'll be called a hook 50 times before it's called holding the stick.  Tavares did hold McAvoy.

Leafs fans are livid on reddit.  I don't understand how getting twice the amount of PP's as the other team are the refs against them.

Offsetting penalties would have been better but with 2 minutes to go in the game and both players were being shits, refs should have let it go. 

Leafs crying about it is nonsense too because Boston got screwed by the refs too. 

Fun game to watch 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Dubois looks like he isn’t competing very hard. Perhaps he is injured, perhaps his heart is in Montreal. 

His heart wasn't in Columbus, his heart wasn't in Winnipeg, now maybe his heart isn't in LA.  Maybe his heart just isn't into hockey?  I think that would be the likelier scenario over pining for Montreal.

10 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

The Tavares penalty should of been 2 each, but stick holding is almost never called.  You see players tuck the stick under their arm and squeeze because it'll be called a hook 50 times before it's called holding the stick.

The league really should crack down on this. You see guys let go of the stick, hands in the air, while the opponent is still holding the stick under his arm. And which one gets sent to the box?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Helmethead said:

Do they still keep Willie out?

Do you believe that TO has chosen not to play Nylander or that he has been physically unable to play?

27 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Do you believe that TO has chosen not to play Nylander or that he has been physically unable to play?

If he's borderline ready or slightly injured, sure.

Leafs may be hoping he fully heals by next round; but, he could play at 75% if is a do or die game perhaps?

I just know a 1st round Leaf loss would be fun to see.

Kings surprised last night. Kopitar 3pts

Hyman keeps scoring though.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

His heart wasn't in Columbus, his heart wasn't in Winnipeg, now maybe his heart isn't in LA.  Maybe his heart just isn't into hockey?  I think that would be the likelier scenario over pining for Montreal.

Conspiracy theory but I’ve had a sneaking suspicion for a while that PLD will be in the player assistance program at some point. 

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Conspiracy theory but I’ve had a sneaking suspicion for a while that PLD will be in the player assistance program at some point. 

The guy did have 8 hits in last nights game, so not coasting the whole game and has 1g 4 shots in the 2 games.

*** IF *** this is true, it explains his absence ... but why not just announce it?  ... trying to avoid the "official" concussion protocol?  ... conspiracy theorists want to know.

The possibility of it being concussion-related raises the question of when that occurred ... he played all 82 games this season ... was there an incident in the final game vs TBL?  ... since then?

• tomh009 changed the title to 2023/2024 season playoff discussion