2023/2024 season playoff discussion

Yes, pretty sure 99.9% of Habfans will be pulling for both the Panthers & Rangers to sweep!

I still dont care whether Dallas or Vegas wins today.

Rangers start the 2nd rd at 4 this afternoon.

Hopefully the "it was a coin-toss" loss is enough to convince the Leafs that no major changes are required since they were missing Nylander for 2 games and Matthews for 2 1/3 ... plus, they've found their future HoF goaltender (Woll) ... last thing I want is competent management in TO actually looking to fix what is wrong instead of patching perceived holes with duct tape.

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Hopefully the "it was a coin-toss" loss is enough to convince the Leafs that no major changes are required since they were missing Nylander for 2 games and Matthews for 2 1/3 ... plus, they've found their future HoF goaltender (Woll) ... last thing I want is competent management in TO actually looking to fix what is wrong instead of patching perceived holes with duct tape.

Agree 100%, their blueline is not nearly good enough. Hopefully they give Marner a big fat extension. 

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Hahahahaha, I think they will do the classic thing and just fire Keefe. As the old saw has it, you can’t fire the team. They will keep tinkering around the edges with Reeves-type acquisitions being hailed as master strokes, and hoping that some way, somehow, this group finally goes on a run.

That GWG was bizarre, but Pasternak showed incredible hands on that play. I also wonder whether it was a case of subtle home-ice advantage - maybe the Bruins know that the puck bounces that way when sent to that exact spot in that building. It’s possible. Certainly Pasternak seemed to anticipate it.

Meanwhile, a beat-up Boston now faces bone-crunching Florida, and probable defeat. This is the best possible outcome as far as I’m concerned 🥳

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Hahahahaha, I think they will do the classic thing and just fire Keefe. As the old saw has it, you can’t fire the team. They will keep tinkering around the edges with Reeves-type acquisitions being hailed as master strokes, and hoping that some way, somehow, this group finally goes on a run.

Treliving's fate likely rests with what Pelley decides to do with Shanahan.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

1 series win in over a decade as president of hockey ops.  Shanny getting fired would not shock me at all.

It really is an astonishing record, given the mass of genuinely elite talent on this core.

Honestly Keefe made many terrible coaching mistakes throughout this series. 

His use of the leafs fourth line at clutch moments (like being down a goal with three minutes to go and pumping that fourth line). 

Leafs should clean house but any GM doesn’t have a lot of cards to deal with there in Toronto. I hope all players with no trade clauses refuse to be traded. 

Not sure how many people watch or like Steve Dangle, but he has me pegged.  I timestamped the start, it's you only need to watch it for about a minute.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Tried to change the poll to Edmonton or Vancouver and it just dropped the poll unfortunately. 

@dlbalr or @tomh009 is it possible to add a new poll? 

I don't see any way to add a poll to an existing thread, sorry. 🙁

13 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Osti de calice de tabarnac !🤬 

I am with you, pas mal en ta----! today, cristie #%!@!!

34 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I don't see any way to add a poll to an existing thread, sorry. 🙁

Abandon this thread and start a new one for the second round???

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Abandon this thread and start a new one for the second round???

Make it so!

47 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Not sure how many people watch or like Steve Dangle, but he has me pegged.  I timestamped the start, it's you only need to watch it for about a minute.

Dangle is actually a fairly intelligent leaf commentator and this is funny. 

HF boards are really hilarious right now too. 

I love this pic:

IMG_0401.jpeg

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Tried to change the poll to Edmonton or Vancouver and it just dropped the poll unfortunately. 

@dlbalr or @tomh009 is it possible to add a new poll? 

I tried going into the first post as well, doesn't look like there's an option to add a new poll within the thread now.

Will Thursday be with Shanahan and Treliving or Pelley and the New President?
I'd bet on the latter, but nothing from TO surprises me.

Kotkaniemi 0pts 0 shots 10:57, 1 for 1 on faceoffs, in loss today.

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That GWG was bizarre, but Pasternak showed incredible hands on that play. I also wonder whether it was a case of subtle home-ice advantage - maybe the Bruins know that the puck bounces that way when sent to that exact spot in that building. It’s possible. Certainly Pasternak seemed to anticipate it.

Absolutely, that was not a typical normal dump in.  You noticed and suspect the identical thing I do.  i.e. the angle that puck took out of the corner was not a predictable angle.  Unless ....

I'm sure it was a set play with deliberate intent of having the puck take that strange bounce off the boards.  They likely know that specific spot has an odd behaviour and they exploited the crap out of it.  That's something they have practiced to have that exact strange bounce.  

Samsonov had no chance of playing that puck.  The only mistake he made is was he was too far back in his crease and was standing on the goal line.

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Absolutely, that was not a typical normal dump in.  You noticed and suspect the identical thing I do.  i.e. the angle that puck took out of the corner was not a predictable angle.  Unless ....

I'm sure it was a set play with deliberate intent of having the puck take that strange bounce off the boards.  They likely know that specific spot has an odd behaviour and they exploited the crap out of it.  That's something they have practiced to have that exact strange bounce.  

Samsonov had no chance of playing that puck.  The only mistake he made is was he was too far back in his crease and was standing on the goal line.

I watched that play over and over again trying to figure out what went wrong for the Leafs. 

I don't know if it was a set play or just dumb luck. There have been a lot of weird bounces off the back boards/stanchions. Skinner got burned badly against LA giving up an easy goal and there have been others so maybe goalies are getting a little nervous coming out to try and play or anticipate the bounces. 

If it was a set play then it was done to perfection as Pastrnak was streaking across the blueline at full speed just as the puck entered the zone.  The speed and angle at which the puck came off the backboards seemed a little unusual (although not sure what usual is anymore) making it difficult for Samsonov to react in time. If I blame anyone I would blame the Leaf defensemen on that side who should have been in a better position to retrieve the puck.  That's my take on it for what it's worth. Bottom line, the Leafs lost and we can happily move forward.