2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

• dlbalr pinned this topic

Can't really say that we have an easy Schedule in October.

Toronto 2x

St-Louis 2x

The Sharks, the Knights, Tampa Bay...

Even our home ice opener is the 2nd of a back to back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

Can't really say that we have an easy Schedule in October.

Toronto 2x

St-Louis 2x

The Sharks, the Knights, Tampa Bay...

Even our home ice opener is the 2nd of a back to back.

Sucks to be Toronto, St. Louis, San Jose, Las Vegas, and Tampa Bay, but at least those teams will have a softer schedule later in the season. 

• Upvote 3

have a great season 1 and all :)

I kinda like the season starting with real match ups, summer was tooo  long :)

7 hours ago, titanfan said:

Heard there was a parade in Toronto today

While I still stand by my claim in another thread that Toronto has a significantly stronger line-up than ours, there are definitely thunder-clouds on TO's horizon this year. Spezza was benched for the home debut for ridiculous, petty reasons...Matthews is a #metoo embarrassment...Babcock has lost collective goodwill and there are rumours of him and Dubas being at odds...and the whole culture around the team is riven with anxiety that this stacked team has a horrible playoff record and may never make the jump to playoff success. Toronto is exactly like Montreal in that the fishbowl leads to exaggerated hysteria which can then throw an organization off track (as happened to the Habs in 2009 and 2012, say). The odds of a melt-down in the TO pressure-cooker are significant. Let's hope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

While I still stand by my claim in another thread that Toronto has a significantly stronger line-up than ours, there are definitely thunder-clouds on TO's horizon this year. Spezza was benched for the home debut for ridiculous, petty reasons...Matthews is a #metoo embarrassment...Babcock has lost collective goodwill and there are rumours of him and Dubas being at odds...and the whole culture around the team is riven with anxiety that this stacked team has a horrible playoff record and may never make the jump to playoff success. Toronto is exactly like Montreal in that the fishbowl leads to exaggerated hysteria which can then throw an organization off track (as happened to the Habs in 2009 and 2012, say). The odds of a melt-down in the TO pressure-cooker are significant. Let's hope.

No question there is a lot of pressure for the Leafs to win this year, expectations are high and  Babcock is running out of rope. It would be a real shame to see a melt down there. Not that I like to wish for bad things to happen to other teams but I can only imagine how difficult it would be to be around Leafs fans if they won the cup. Heaven forbid. 

I DO NOT want the Maples anywhere near Lord Stanley’s Cup ... but I can’t help but wonder if the fastest track for the Habs to hoist it again might be if the Maples did happen to win it all this year. 

Would any remaining sense of complacency be eradicated at the ownership level by a Maples championship??

Tampa was outshot 44-13 by Carolina last night.

Shots by period for Tampa Bay:

1) 11

2) 0

3) 2

I’m not sure when I’ve last seen 0 shots in a period...and they still managed to get into overtime.

OT) 0

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

1) 11

2) 0

3) 2

I’m not sure when I’ve last seen 0 shots in a period...and they still managed to get into overtime.

OT) 0

Boy...you have to wonder if Cooper is long for this world, with results like that.

8 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

1) 11

2) 0

3) 2

OT) 0

Carolina is sneaky good

43 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Who gets the Canucks captaincy? 

Petterson or horvat?

I'd go with Horvat.  I'm not a fan of giving the C to someone who's just basically starting out in the league.  Horvat's still young himself but this is his sixth season already.

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I'd go with Horvat.  I'm not a fan of giving the C to someone who's just basically starting out in the league.  Horvat's still young himself but this is his sixth season already.

Horvat is the obvious choice and was identified as captain material almost from his first NHL game.

Any other choice would have been sheer pig-headed stupidity. Not that this is an unknown quality to NHL GMs/coaches.

Incidentally, I like the Canucks this year. They've added two top-4 D in Myers and Hughes, which alone is enough to transform a team. They've also added enough FW depth that they should be competitive every night. I see them as having a really legit chance to make the dance this season. Not that you'd know that from the fog of negativity following the fanbase around.

I liked horvat for captain even last year.  Hughes is crazy good. Its cool to see all the pieces in Vancouver come together. I'm almost jealous Hughes is not a Canadien.  But I think kk has a massive upside so I'll have to rein in my jealousy a bit.

2 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I liked horvat for captain even last year.  Hughes is crazy good. Its cool to see all the pieces in Vancouver come together. I'm almost jealous Hughes is not a Canadien.  But I think kk has a massive upside so I'll have to rein in my jealousy a bit.

Hughes...love, love, love players like that. 🤙 He'll probably falter at some point, but so far he's like Petterson in that he just oozes skill. It's crazy.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, DON said:

habs play thurs/sat then not till next wed? (WTH, Trying to stretch season out some more?)

Yeah not a fan of bye weeks in NHL. This isn't football. Maybe they should take a week out of preseason and start the season earlier. Its almost like today's sports athletes are to pampered.

Suzuki said to be practicing with Domi-Lehkonen (2nd line)? Different than shown below?

BROSSARD - Here's a look at the forward lines and defense pairings featured at Wednesday's practice at the Bell Sports Complex.

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Suzuki/Armia
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Byron
Cousins - Thompson - Weal

Mete - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Chiarot - Fleury
Reilly - Folin

Price
Kinkaid

We are approaching the 10 game mark, and I find myself with little to complain about the CH; I also cannot find much to praise

I have watched all games, mostly on PVR; and although some games have been very entertainment, I am still not convince the CH is anything more than a wildcard team

Laval seems full of promise but short on evidence that better seats are here now.

I hope the next 11 games provide us with confirmation of what the 2019-2020 team is made of 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic