May 3, Leafs @ Canadiens, 7PM EST

Trizzak

59 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

caught up on my PVR to just before the overtime. Saw Caufield score the winner and just couldn't believe it. Awesome goal

Danault said this about Caufield: "Il est petit, mais il [est fait?] pour les grand moments", inenglish he repeated caufield = big moment... which makes me think that it may be a good nick name to call him Cole "Big Time" Caufield

Romanov didn't ahve a good game, played less minutes than usual.

Evans played another great game, 

Allen kept us close and made the win possible,

Danault was really good against Matthews,

Suzuki and Toffoli have chemistry,

Andersson is playing like Armia

and Chiarot played like a true top-4 D regardless of who was playing with him

How about “big time goal” Caufield!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If you had the choice, who would you rather have Suzuki, or Matthews?  As it is, it’s nice to see Suzuki get more points tonight👍

Let me see Suzuki has 12 goals and 24 assists,  Mathews has 39 goals and 24 assists. I will have to think about that.  That wasn't my point but perhaps there are just not that many shoot first centers so it stands out. I guess the important thing is that the line scores goals. 

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The kid’s nickname is Bilbo and so it should remain. One of the only good nicknames to appear in modern hockey

image.jpeg

Yep. Much better and orign than the Suzy for Suzuki, or Pricer, or Galy.

still would prefer something more dynamic like the fiery eyes rocket, le demon blonde, or boom boom!

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Scoring is more about quantity of shots than quality. 

Quality helps, its maybe 25% of the equation.

But goalies are so good that even when you have Ovechkin's shot, he is also leading the league in shots nearly every year.  Goalies are good now and still stop 500 Ovechkin shots per year.   Matthews is at the top of the league in shots too. 

Caufield has been a high volume shooter at every level so thats a good sign. 

Yes, there are numerous factors with scoring.  It's 1 thing to have a great shot.  i.e. quickness and velocity.  However, there is also accuracy.  i.e. S% and how many shots somebody takes. i.e. volume.  When a player has great accuracy in their shot the more chances they have the more goals they will score. 

Furthermore, there is also having a high offensive hockey IQ.  i.e. knowing where to be, how to get open etc to be able to take a shot.  The better someone is at at all of these factors the more quality chances they will have.  ex:  you dont have to have a quick hard shot or very accurate either if you know where to be so you have a wide open net its a quality chance and you just need to hit the net.   

With Toffoli I think he's more high offensive IQ, volume and accuracy than quick hard shot.  Decent accuracy means consistency.  Mathews has high offensive hockey IQ, volume and accuracy and has quick hard shots.  Caufield is high in those 4 as well, whereas Gretzky was off the charts in all 4. 

1 hour ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Little Rocket is starting to break NHL records already..

“Cole Caufield of the @CanadiensMTL is the first player in NHL history to score an OT goal in back-to-back games for his first 2 career goals.”

I knew he would set scoring records, but I didn't think it would be this quick. 

• Like 2

I said it once before (years ago) As well as that hockey players should be able to shoot left or right .(thats the future) But The Habs had too few right shots. first goal was with all 5 RH shooters

More RH please!

you're welcome

Hockey players shooting both ways was the past.. not the future.  Gordie Howe could shoot both ways.

Once it was discovered that a curve on your stick improves the shot, the ambidextrous hockey player was dead.  

You cant go to the bench mid shift to change sticks and curves so there is no advantage to being able to shoot both ways.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yep. Much better and orign than the Suzy for Suzuki, or Pricer, or Galy.

still would prefer something more dynamic like the fiery eyes rocket, le demon blonde, or boom boom!

HA! 

1 minute ago, Toronthab said:

HA! 

So he's already the team leader in overtime winning goals for the year. Sticklers may want to point out that all overtime goals are winning goals. I never said I was smart. Well. I did actually. But I was lying. I know what you're thinking. That's not smart. I'm going to go and lie down now. 

• Upvote 2

Fun finish, awesome to see the lil guy come through again.

Hard to believe Leafs didnt fill the net in the 1st period; every superstar on their team was allowed to simply walk out front of net totally uncontested.

#77 & #28 i can do without seeing playing tomorrow...but best they got i suppose.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DON said:

Fun finish, awesome to see the lil guy come through again.

Hard to believe Leafs didnt fill the net in the 1st period; every superstar on their team was allowed to simply walk out front of net totally uncontested.

#77 & #28 i can do without seeing playing tomorrow...but best they got i suppose.

im a fan oh Kulak and Merrill but they are not good together. 

Best option right now but I’m looking forward to Romanov Merrill 

What a difference a week makes! Instead of looking over our shoulders, we can root for the Flames and Canucks to win their games tonight and tomorrow against the Jets and Oilers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

im a fan oh Kulak and Merrill but they are not good together. 

Best option right now but I’m looking forward to Romanov Merrill 

Kulak is an interesting case. A lot of people, including analysts, quite like him, but others - such as the Habs' coaching staff - do not. He is quietly quite a divisive guy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Kulak is an interesting case. A lot of people, including analysts, quite like him, but others - such as the Habs' coaching staff - do not. He is quietly quite a divisive guy.

I wonder if it is the frustration of him "teasing" that he is more than he actually is ... IMO he is a solid 3rd pairing D who can occasionally play up when needed ... but he is not a top 4 defenceman on a good defence

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

IMO he is a solid 3rd pairing D who can occasionally play up when needed ... but he is not a top 4 defenceman on a good defence

Our whole D corps outside of Petry

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I wonder if it is the frustration of him "teasing" that he is more than he actually is ... IMO he is a solid 3rd pairing D who can occasionally play up when needed ... but he is not a top 4 defenceman on a good defence

I'll buy that. The problem is that our coaches treat him as a #6-7 rather than a #5-6 who can "play up when needed" or when he gets hot. It's the difference between being an established NHL regular and a guy who drops in and out of the lineup.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I thought both he and 28 were pretty scary in own end last game.

7 minutes ago, DON said:

I thought both he and 28 were pretty scary in own end last game.

They didn't spend that much time together.   The pair was split and Kulak did much better than Merrill.

Chiarot-Kulak, and Romanov-Merrill were both used more than Kulak-Merrill

Here are the times on ice 5v5 and the xG results.

Chiarot - Kulak spent 7:08 together, they were a 54.7% xG
Romanov - Merrill spent  5:54 together, they were a brutal 17.3% xG

Kulak - Merrill spent 5:07 together, there were 43.5% xG

For comparison

Edmundson Chiarot spent 5:06 together and were pinned in their own end the entire time.  0% xG (not a single scoring chance for with them together).

Chiarot - Romanov spent 3:04 together and were 54.8%

Edmundson Petry 14:37 and just 24.2%

Every other pair spent less than 1:30 together so results don't tell us much.

so the stats seem to suggest that Chairot - Kulak was the best pairing last night, considering the difference was only 0.1% and they played four more minutes of ice time than Chiarot-Romanov. 

Also as usual, every partner was better with Kulak than without him. 

Kulak is a top 4 D, i will die on this hill and don't be surprised if Seattle with their strong advanced stats management group takes him, and not allen.

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Kulak is a top 4 D, i will die on this hill and don't be surprised if Seattle with their strong advanced stats management group takes him, and not allen.

That would be my preferred outcome, even if loosing Kulak is bad, I rather keep Allen

The Habs could then restructure the D around the leftovers (exaggerating a bit, but yeah)

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'll buy that. The problem is that our coaches treat him as a #6-7 rather than a #5-6 who can "play up when needed" or when he gets hot. It's the difference between being an established NHL regular and a guy who drops in and out of the lineup.

The problem is that between the top 6 and taxi squad we are a team with around six guys who would be between #5 to 7 on a good team.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

They didn't spend that much time together.   The pair was split and Kulak did much better than Merrill.

Had nothing to do with them playing together or apart.