Boucher

JacksonJ

I would put more faith in the 82 game schedule as opposed to a play-off run in indicating the prowlness of any club. When you say unbelievable playoff run, it is unbelievable because of what they looked like during the season. We should be aspiring for a Stanley Cup every year, and though going a few rounds in the playoffs is a bonus that we haven't seen in awhile, it still falls short of expectations. I will remind you that we whimped into the playoffs.

Well, for my part, I will put absolutely no faith in this specific 82 games schedule. As far as I know, we whimped into the playoffs without Michael Cammalleri during 17 games, Brian Gionta for 21 games, Andrei Markov for 37 games and Andrei Kostitsyn for 20ish games.

IMO, we did not whimped into the playoffs, we MIRACULOUSLY whimped into the playoffs... And when talking about a coach trying to bring out the best of his team when it counts, I think that Martin didn't failed there as well... (maybe except for Pouliot, Moen and AK)

Like I said in this very same thread, I'm not a big Martin's coaching style fan, but I have to admit that :

A team rebuilded with UFAs who mostly never played together + Brand new coach and system + All the injuries stated above + Whimping into the playoffs + Beating the Caps and the Pens = Getting the job done, and very well I must say.

Now, could Boucher repeat this as a rookie coach ? Who knows ? Maybe... Does the last season justify going with Boucher instead of Martin ? Not at all.

All of this IMHO.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've ragged on JM this season, but realistically replacing him after this run is pretty far fetched. It might be in the habs best interest to let Boucher explore the NHL with another team, work out the kinks, and come back into the fold after his trial by fire. The benefit of Boucher is his work with the youngsters, I just hope JM changes some of his stances next season in regards to risk/rewards for the youngsters.

I've ragged on JM this season, but realistically replacing him after this run is pretty far fetched. It might be in the habs best interest to let Boucher explore the NHL with another team, work out the kinks, and come back into the fold after his trial by fire. The benefit of Boucher is his work with the youngsters, I just hope JM changes some of his stances next season in regards to risk/rewards for the youngsters.

Bar: You have captured my sentiment very nicely. I will boldly make this prediction. The love affair for JM in the organization will run its course, and we will be in a better position to expediate change by the end of next year.

Some grounds for hope here, according to Allan Muir. Scan about 2/3 of the way down for the discussion of Boucher.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...arch/index.html

Kirk Muller one of Devils choices? I hope not. There must be a reason why he is the only one left from the carbo era. (coaching era that is)

Boucher saw the CBJ offering him the head coach job today. The ball is on his side now...

Its the smartest move for him to take it. The only way he doesn't take it is if he wants to hold off to catch on with a better team that will be more successful in a few years, but there's no indication that opportunity will come about.

The only thing that I can think is that he may want one more year as a minor coach. He may want to apply his trade imediately though. This is a huge loss if he takes it. I was hoping to see developement and him groom a replacement.

Best wishes to Boucher during this decision-making process! This would definitely be a dream come true, and it's great to see Québec coaches getting NHL jobs other than through the Habs.

Coaches change hands a lot of times during their career. He doesn't have to start in Montréal like the other ones! I guess better to coach x years in the NHL and finally be the Habs coach then coaching x years in the AHL before being the Habs coach. Anyways, best wishes and good luck! Congrats for a great season with the 'Dogs.

An interesting side note here is that Muller has reportedly rejected the opportunity to become Hamilton's new head coach.

Is it better to be a head coach in the AHL or an assistant in the NHL???

Is it better to be a head coach in the AHL or an assistant in the NHL???

Depends on what your career aspirations are - if Muller wants to be an NHL head coach, it'd be worth his while to get some experience as a head coach in the AHL. Since he's rejected it, I can't help but wonder if we'll be seeing his name surface sometime soon in New Jersey or Tampa Bay, becoming their head coach.

Wow, the folks from Columbus are eating up the Boucher story, ferociously.

It's a little-known fact that Columbus is a great hockey town with dedicated fans. Hopefully, they won't get to watch Boucher work his magic. The general sense seems to be that he won't take the job, according to a Blue Jackets fanatic I know.

It's a little-known fact that Columbus is a great hockey town with dedicated fans. Hopefully, they won't get to watch Boucher work his magic. The general sense seems to be that he won't take the job, according to a Blue Jackets fanatic I know.

I get the sense he will take it, provided he gets a couple of unique clauses in his deal such as that out clause cited in the link. If it happens, it happens, such is life when you take a team to unexpected success like Boucher did in Hamilton (and Muller in Montreal). It's happened to other teams before and will in the future; I'll wish him the best and hope that perhaps one day, he'll return to the Habs.

I get the sense he will take it, provided he gets a couple of unique clauses in his deal such as that out clause cited in the link. If it happens, it happens, such is life when you take a team to unexpected success like Boucher did in Hamilton (and Muller in Montreal). It's happened to other teams before and will in the future; I'll wish him the best and hope that perhaps one day, he'll return to the Habs.

A clause like that would certainly ease the pain of losing this very promising coach.

Incidentally, it says a lot about our organization that no fewer than two of our coaches are on other teams' shortlist and that one of them is widely thought to view coaching the habs as his ultimate professional goal. Detractors notwithstanding, the Habs have quietly emerged as something approaching an elite organization - Gainey's real legacy.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

A clause like that would certainly ease the pain of losing this very promising coach.

Incidentally, it says a lot about our organization that no fewer than two of our coaches are on other teams' shortlist and that one of them is widely thought to view coaching the habs as his ultimate professional goal. Detractors notwithstanding, the Habs have quietly emerged as something approaching an elite organization - Gainey's real legacy.

Glow Habs Glow! :clap:

All reports suggest it's all but official now, Boucher will take over in Columbus.

Eric Engels just tweeted that Boucher has turned down the job....

This tweet is on the globe and mail site quoted by James Mirtle :clap:

I applaud his balls...

First I'd heard of it, good news if it's true - I'll be glad to be wrong here.

I wonder if the Habs promised him something?

I'd be guessing there's a pay raise coming...or he's up for the Tampa job.