GDT: Bruins vs Habs, Mar. 8

dlbalr

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disgusting display by Chara, another sore loser, who cant accept that skill beats size most of the time, and almost all of the time in the case of the Habs and Dump Bears.

With all of the crowing the league has done about head shots, and considering other recent suspensions, this is really a step up or shut up time for the nhl on this one. Anyone watching that video can clearly see that Chara ran his head into the stanchion on purpose. It was an interference penalty, nothing clean about it, and considering the result and possible ramifications for a blossoming young career, Chara the bully should be suspended at least 10 games.

If the league actually wanted to step up and do something about this kind of dirty bullshit, now is the time.

That's right... I was at the game and you better believe I was yelling that shit out loud

Good man! :clap::habslogo::clap:

I'm still too pumped up to go to bed...I'm gonna toss and turn for a while!

Edited by Habsfan

From a TV viewer's perspective, the hit thundering noise echoed in my house... Don't know if its because there are microphones there or what.. But If that sound was half of what it was.. Wouldn't Saint Chara have stopped and at least looked to see how Pacioretty was?!?!?!

I Really dont think Chara is that kind of player... But in that particular instance and for fraction of a second Chara New what result he was going to get when he rammed Pax on that post. For a brief moment Chara acted with a mean bone and resentment... That to me was clear, due to his follow through.

5 games min

There are lots of incidents in any NHL game that result in scenarios that can deemed accidents. A high stick or a bad collision in the corner going after the puck etc. On a case by case basis these can fall into some magical gray area.

Chara's actions do not.

What was most troubling to me about the game last night was the sense that the Bruins we looking to take out a couple Habs over the course of 60 mins. It wasn't an isolated event, it appeared on some level to be a strategy. Perhaps not on the part of the coaching staff but rather the players.

Even after the Patch hit the goon tactics didn't stop.

How can Patch's " unfortunate accident " be separated from the rest of this goon mentality and played off as a clean hit that turned bad at the last second?

I think it speaks to a frustrated Boston teams willingness to do whatever they have to in an attempt a win and that exacting revenge is a virtue.

Chara went so far as to try and blame Max for jumping into the stanchion. A ridiculous statment made a by a player fearfull that he would face a jury the next day.

Keep building a landing pad for yourself Zdeno, you should be proud that your wide eyed poor-me story has fooled atleast a couple reporters and short sighted commentators.

It allows meat head Bruins fans and Habs critics the luxury of sleeping well at night, cause after all, this is " old time hockey"

For me, re watching that footage tells the story of a great defensive player, who is too good not to be completely aware of his surroundings, recognizing an opportunity to have a stanchion do his dirty work.

I don't believe that Chara could have any idea of how exactly it would play out, but I think it would be silly to believe for a second he didn't use the metal extension wall to cause some type of injury.

It's that intent to injure that requires suspension. By doing nothing, the league and the players are saying this behavior is acceptable.

I used to think that the 70's and 80's were the wild west of hockey. Maybe it's time to re consider.

Edited by BrenDittero

Chara will not get suspended at all. Nothing but an 'unfortunate incident'. He said sorry I guess and Max is gonna be ok so its pretty much over.

Can some university science student not design some better board / glass interface system for the NHL already?

I agree with the your Bruins gameplay style theory though. It was evident in the 3rd when the B's tried to apply the muscle with out their head goon. All you got is Lu-Cheech running around yapping away tryin to start stuff, and that bully Horton trying to rough up Pernell? We showed a lot of mental toughness last night and it was a defining moment for this club this season.

Chara went so far as to try and blame Max for jumping into the stanchion. A ridiculous statment made a by a player fearfull that he would face a jury the next day.

Thats what made me really mad. There was no way that Patches jumped into the stanchion. Chara directed him there. I just couldn't believe he made a statement like that, without truly knowing Patches condition. He's got to take responsibility for his actions.

While the habs are all being diplomatic (and most said they hadn't seen a replay yet), Price hit the nail on the head... "Players have to be aware of what is around them". Ie.. Chara certainly new as he directed Pacs over the boards that the stanchion was coming up. Pacs had no way I could see for him to avoid that hit... Chara could easily have prevented that. Even a low hit would have been fine, but he purposely pushed Pacs' upper body over the boards and directly into that glass.

I don't buy the excuse that Chara was unaware of the danger there. That does not mean I believe he thought that hit would be that bad, but I think he knew Pacs would hit that glass. Probably figured it would be on the shoulder.

Thats what made me really mad. There was no way that Patches jumped into the stanchion. Chara directed him there. I just couldn't believe he made a statement like that, without truly knowing Patches condition. He's got to take responsibility for his actions.

The problem in the NHL now is that players don't have to take responsibility. They don't HAVE to do anything but win.

Send a guy out on a stretcher, maybe it'll cost you a couple bucks and a few days home with the family.

Accountability is a joke and it's the head office that's let this happen. When every great player is out and the natural lifespan of a leading scorer is 25 due to injury maybe they will look back and really start to ponder when it went off the rails.

Chara dodged a pretty big bullet last night and the metal wall is the perfect scape goat. It introduces a third and uncommon element to a bad play, beyond the two players involved.

Sadly the stanchion could not be reached for comment.

My favourite is all the hockey commentators stating it was just a hockey play, and in the next breath saying Pacs started all this with his push to chara two games ago...

Try to follow that logic. Either it was an incidental hit, or chara was getting revenge for a slight he felt several games before. It can't be both.

Given that in the last game, chara kept going after Pacs too, I would suggest that a late hit on a targeted player is intent. It means that you wanted to make an illegal hit on the guy (which he did, no puck anywhere near). If I push a guy in a bar because he insulted my wife, and he falls back, hits his head and dies.. you know what they call that... manslaughter. You are responsible for the consequences of your actions.

If Chara simply nailed him with a clean hit in the center ice and broke Pacs's shoulder, we would not be able to complain. But it was an illegal hit, from behind, by a player who was fully aware of the danger area with the stanchion. Its hard to believe he merely meant to "hold him up".

My favourite is all the hockey commentators stating it was just a hockey play, and in the next breath saying Pacs started all this with his push to chara two games ago...

To me, commentators who make these kinds of ill advised statements and try to string together a schoolyard reasoning for revenge are simply not fans of the game.

What they are fans of is flapping their lips cause they like the sound.

What hockey fan, let alone someone who gets paid to talk about hockey, accepts and defends obviously bad plays that result in serious injury?

I think the tune would be very different had Chara not been the one to deliver the hit. Had one of the Islanders done this they'd all be calling for expulsion from the league.

I want to see teams make it into the playoffs as healthy as possible after the regular season. I like the high level of competition we should be able to enjoy at the end of a season.

As an opposing team, if all you need to do is headhunt to remove gifted players from the NHL, the league has no alternative future than the sad one we're heading towards.

Edited by BrenDittero

Agreed. It's the best news under the circumstances. What really pisses me off was that Patches said it earlier in an interview today in LaPresse. He felt that he had a bullseye on his back...it was as if he knew something was gonna happen to him...and look. By coincidence this happens! :rolleyes:

Really? It was obvious that Chara wanted to hurt MaxPac. Chara knew they were up against the boards, he knew that Max was somewhat off-balance and he knew that he wouldn't have to push him very hard and that Max would hit the boards hard. He may not have wanted to give Max a concussion, but i'm willing to bet that Chara had the late hit he got from Max in the 3rd game of the season between the Habs and the Bruins in his head when he just slightly pushed Max into the boards! HIs intent? I say bull shit. Chara knew what he was doing. He wanted revenge and he got it!

You cannot prove ANY of that and I can provide you with 10 people with zero bias who say it was irresponsible and it was an accident and 10 Bruin fans who say it was a 100% accident.

Everybody wants to paint Chara like he has a 10 year history of cheap shots and violence. For a guy that size if he wanted to destroy people with a personal vendetta then the NHL ice would resemble a battlefield with bodies strewn everywhere. It's great that everybody wants the NHL to view this with the eyes of a Habs fan but that isn't the way it works.

Granted their inconsistency is deplorable, but their responsibility is to view it free of emotion. Remove the bias and there is nothing in his history to prove intent. NOTHING.

Bertuzzi got a year because the Canucks players actually made verbal threats and were on record before the game. McSorley was banned because he had a HUGE rap sheet of offenses and chased the guy the length of the ice. Chara never uttered a threat to Pacioretty and you CANNOT prove that he knew the result of what he was going to do.

It was a borderline dirty reckless play and he should be suspended, but spare me the mind reading please.

I am with C.C in my disgust and I am angry that a career may have been lost, but this whole thing leaves me feeling more sad than angry. Sad that I don't know when this is going to stop and when is the NHL is going to man up and deal with the issue and protect their players?

Edited by Wamsley01

You cannot prove ANY of that and I can provide you with 10 people with zero bias who say it was irresponsible and it was an accident and 10 Bruin fans who say it was a 100% accident.

Everybody wants to paint Chara like he has a 10 year history of cheap shots and violence. For a guy that size if he wanted to destroy people with a personal vendetta then the NHL ice would resemble a battlefield with bodies strewn everywhere. It's great that everybody wants the NHL to view this with the eyes of a Habs fan but that isn't the way it works.

Granted their inconsistency is deplorable, but their responsibility is to view it free of emotion. Remove the bias and there is nothing in his history to prove intent. NOTHING.

Bertuzzi got a year because the Canucks players actually made verbal threats and were on record before the game. McSorley was banned because he had a HUGE rap sheet of offenses and chased the guy the length of the ice. Chara never uttered a threat to Pacioretty and you CANNOT prove that he knew the result of what he was going to do.

It was a borderline dirty reckless play and he should be suspended, but spare me the mind reading please.

I don't think anyone is painting Chara with a 10 year history of cheap shots and violence. Of course Bruins fans are going to say it's accidental. Their captain is a goon.

It mystifies me that anyone can watch the replay and say with a straight face that Chara didn't mean to at least hurt Patch.

I've been showing people I work with. Not one of them is a hockey fan. Each one believes that Chara meant to hurt Patch based on video review. The telltale sign is in the last few frames where Chara's arm clearly directs Max's head into the stanchion.

It's great that you're on board with a suspension. What I can't get past is you dismissing reasonable comments as nothing more than posts made by mind reading super fans.

We don't need to prove that he knew the result of his actions. It's clear that if you purposely run another player into the extension wall ( can we all agree on that? ) something bad has a high percentage of happening.

Whether it's a concussion or separated shoulder it doesn't matter. Chara wanted to inflict pain on Patch.

You don't need to be a mind reader to get that.

Edited by BrenDittero

I am sick and tired of peoples character coming into play, so Chara's a good guy, great, send a message, whether there was intent which Wammy said is impossible to tell, it happened. People like to bring external factors into the equation, he's a nice guy, no previous offenses, well there's other things to consider, the past history between the two, and the score at the time. Those factors have just as much place as how nice Chara is to puppuies off the ice.

If Gillies received 10 games for a ticky tact hit, then this is equally as severe, intent or not. He will not get anything more than 2-3 games, as his hearing is by phone not in person, which is sad.

Besides the Chara crap from last night, what is up with the Bruins running Price and Subban all night long, how can the Bruins continue to do this shit after what happened to Pax, sometimes you wish Montreal had a goon to return fire, but then you see the scoreboard and relax, it's still frustrating as a fan that the league continues to condone it.

First time I thought a player might have been dead.

I think it was an accident but there should still be a suspension for making a careless/irresponsible/dangerous plays. I think he'll get 1-2 games.

http://habsinsideout...s/chara-hit.jpg

Where are chara's hands here? Where is this hit now? Sure looks to me like chara has his hand on Pacs head, with full arm extension.

That is a hit to the head into a piece of glass. I don't need to read his mind to know that this was a vicious and illegal hit. It was not a "rub out play along the boards"

Edited by brobin

Where are chara's hands here? Where is this hit now? Sure looks to me like chara has his hand on Pacs head, with full arm extension.

That is a hit to the head into a piece of glass. I don't need to read his mind to know that this was a vicious and illegal hit. It was not a "rub out play along the boards"

If you're in Pacioretty's situation trapped along the boards, there's really no way out, his life is in Chara's hands.

Lost in this is the sad fact that we play these goons one more time. what do we do? Do we come out and try to play hockey with our usual line up and risk more gooning by Boston? Do we ice some goons to get revenge (and then have the league go nuts on the habs)?

What does a team do? In my opinion, the league is responsible for protecting the players. If they come down hard on chara and tell the Bruins ( and the habs) that any funny business in that next game will result in suspensions, then the next game will be an actual hockey game. If they let chara slide with nothing or a minor suspension, the Bruins will be free to intimidate, goon, and beat up the Habs players. the Habs will either have to goon back, or play the game scared.

I have seen this act before, and history tells me the NHL will not send a clear message to the Bruins. The message will be to the habs... "get some enforcers to protect yourself, but be careful, we suspend for retribution (see Gilles).

Hey Brobin,

Your picture doesn't seem to be working. But could some one please post it, or make up a batch of t-shirts so this ridiculous string of "It's just a reckless accident, I can't get inside the mind of Chara" comments will end.

Chara and the rest of the Bruins are goons. Respectable NHL teams don't make runs at players ALL night focusing on knees and necks as worthwhile targets to win a game.

If this kind of play is allowed to continue, the next thing we'll see are " reckless accidents " aimed at goaltenders. Opps! It's a fast game and I was just after the puck when I ran full steam into Price. My bad.

That'll be cute.

I am sick and tired of peoples character coming into play, so Chara's a good guy, great, send a message, whether there was intent which Wammy said is impossible to tell, it happened. People like to bring external factors into the equation, he's a nice guy, no previous offenses, well there's other things to consider, the past history between the two, and the score at the time. Those factors have just as much place as how nice Chara is to puppuies off the ice.

If Gillies received 10 games for a ticky tact hit, then this is equally as severe, intent or not. He will not get anything more than 2-3 games, as his hearing is by phone not in person, which is sad.

Besides the Chara crap from last night, what is up with the Bruins running Price and Subban all night long, how can the Bruins continue to do this shit after what happened to Pax, sometimes you wish Montreal had a goon to return fire, but then you see the scoreboard and relax, it's still frustrating as a fan that the league continues to condone it.

Gillies has played 80 minutes and has 120+ penalty minutes. There is a huge difference.

This is not based on emotion, it is based on previous record and plausible deniability. All the other shit means nothing. Remove your anger from the situation and it looks different. It looks like Chara made a reckless challenge and accidently hurt a guy very badly.

The screen capture of impact proves nothing, if Chara's hand was behind Pacioretty's head directing it into the glass then it looks worse, but the video shows a guy rubbing a player out irresponsibly with devastating results.

The push behind the net is minor and does not prove motive. They haven't even fought before or engaged in a war of words outside of the ice. There isn't even a player coming out saying "I heard Chara say I am going to get you or kill you". It is a moot point that has no basis in fact.

10 games or I say riot next home game. Isn't that how it is done in Montreal? Who has the smoke bomb to start the riot...Got a great seat for you Pres....

There is clear evidence that he intended to run him into the glass. That is intent to injure. It is a criminal offence. Why was he allowed to leave the city?

Where is the line drawn on what is and isn't a criminal act in a game of hockey, or is it city to city? In Vancouver would he have been arrested?

I played hockey alot and know it was not an accident. Most of these incidents are brain farts, not accidents. Brain farts are punishable. 10 games or fight!

On a side note, if you see anyone wearing Bruins garb today feel free to blindside them. Splash them with that slush puddle!