Injury news

Commandant

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Weber's deal is largely uninsured from what I've heard.  It's not entirely uninsured but the percentage is relatively low.

Really? Hard to believe why I team would sign that type of term and $ without having decent insurance. Does the insurance have to be determined by at the time of the initial contract, by e h individual team, changed year to year?  Obviously couldn’t improve tue insurance now, but just wondering of it works on player contracts.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

But fortunately his REAL $$$ salary is low (by NHL standards) in comparison to the AAV he carries the next four seasons ... $3M, $1M. $1M and $1M.

I can’t a lot Phoenix willing to trade for his deal until the 2023 summer, if they’d still have to be him close to $3m next year, unless there was a HUGE issue on getting to the floor.

48 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Really? Hard to believe why I team would sign that type of term and $ without having decent insurance. Does the insurance have to be determined by at the time of the initial contract, by e h individual team, changed year to year?  Obviously couldn’t improve tue insurance now, but just wondering of it works on player contracts.

I don't know the rules for insuring contracts so there's no point in guessing on that front.  I believe several of the top contracts in the NHL are uninsured simply because no carrier wanted to insure it without an astronomical premium being paid and I remember seeing that come up about 10 years ago or so which is around when Weber's deal was signed.

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

IF the are willing to go the LTIR route, and the accompanying lack of flexibility.

There may or may not be a choice there. It depends on whether someone (AZ or otherwise) is willing to take it on at a reasonable price. If not, LTIR it is, at least for another year.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

But fortunately his REAL $$$ salary is low (by NHL standards) in comparison to the AAV he carries the next four seasons ... $3M, $1M. $1M and $1M.

So, when we talk about teams "retaining salary", we really are talking about retaining a percentage of cap hit/AAV.

How does that impact actual salary dollars? Is it just the same ratio? Do teams have the ability to be more flexible with the monetary portion?

8 hours ago, DON said:

Why? They likely arnt in the big-game UFA market for next season and hopefully deal Petry's contract for younger cheaper prospect or yound-d.

And maybe trade Hoffman and/or Armia, even if got to eat some $$ perhaps.

I tend to agree. I really don't think next year is critical as I don't think the Habs are in the market for a big name free agent. However the year after might be a little different as I am guessing Caulfield will get a big raise but the contracts of Byron and Drouin come off the books but that means Drouin will likely have a career year so there will be pressure to resign the French kid. 

Hopefully Hugo can work some magic on the bad contracts they have before then.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

So, when we talk about teams "retaining salary", we really are talking about retaining a percentage of cap hit/AAV.

How does that impact actual salary dollars? Is it just the same ratio? Do teams have the ability to be more flexible with the monetary portion?

It's cap hit and salary retained at the same rate.

34 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

(...) but that means Drouin will likely have a career year so there will be pressure to resign the French kid.

They should extend Drouin if and only if he produces more value than what we would need to pay him -- and we need a player for that role.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's cap hit and salary retained at the same rate.

All right, so to allow the Coyotes to conserve actual cash, the Habs could take back, say, Andrew Ladd at 50% retained. That would be $2.75M but only for one year. And it would basically cancel out Weber's actual salary for the first season, leaving them to pay just the later seasons at $1M each.

Or something like that. I am not so much proposing Ladd as using him as an example of how a deal could be structured.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Its always by percentage... and you must retain the same percentage of the salary as you do on the cap hit.

Drouin has been such a flake and wasn't even a part of our finals run, so I don't see the Quebecois fanbase being too sad to see him go.

Carey's been taking the ice lately.  It'd be great to see him play a game or two before the season's up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Neech said:

Drouin has been such a flake and wasn't even a part of our finals run, so I don't see the Quebecois fanbase being too sad to see him go.

Carey's been taking the ice lately.  It'd be great to see him play a game or two before the season's up.

Perhaps, but that opinion could change if he has a bounce back year next season. 

It definitely would be nice to see Carey get in a couple games this year and play well.

15 hours ago, tomh009 said:

All right, so to allow the Coyotes to conserve actual cash, the Habs could take back, say, Andrew Ladd at 50% retained. That would be $2.75M but only for one year. And it would basically cancel out Weber's actual salary for the first season, leaving them to pay just the later seasons at $1M each.

Or something like that. I am not so much proposing Ladd as using him as an example of how a deal could be structured.

The challenge with taking any contract back in a trade is that it makes it that much harder to be cap-compliant.  They lose the LTIR with Weber and then would have to fit whatever contract(s) they take back within the $82.5M Upper Limit.  That basically means they'd have to part with another roster player simply to free up the cap space to get out of Weber's contract which kind of defeats the purpose.  

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

The challenge with taking any contract back in a trade is that it makes it that much harder to be cap-compliant.  They lose the LTIR with Weber and then would have to fit whatever contract(s) they take back within the $82.5M Upper Limit.  That basically means they'd have to part with another roster player simply to free up the cap space to get out of Weber's contract which kind of defeats the purpose.  

I agree. The challenge is balancing that with the Coyotes' need to conserve cash.

It's just a scenario, and admittedly not a likely one. Let's see what Hugo is able to come up with in the off-season.

53 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

:ph34r: I see a trend ... 🤫

I’m sure it will be better than drafting a kid with issues, who asked not to be drafted, signing Savard and Hoffman, and taking away a first and second for a third line centre.hey have a pretty low bar to exceed. So far, their choice of coach is better than our last three.

It would be just like Drouin - who is the very definition of an unreliable player - to come up with a career year next year. That fits the profile: he will deliver in a year when we need it least; he will thus jack up his market value; and then, once signed to sizeable dollars, he will revert to being an often-injured, "it's always something" basket case. That's just the way things go with the Jonathan Drouins of the world. I pity the fool that invests any hope in the guy.

If he does have a career year, the Habs would be smart to trade him at the deadline; but the pressure to sign him, under the delusion that he has "finally put it all together," will be significant. It'll be a test for HuGo.

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I agree. The challenge is balancing that with the Coyotes' need to conserve cash.

It's just a scenario, and admittedly not a likely one. Let's see what Hugo is able to come up with in the off-season.

Remember the Marian Hossa to Arizona trade a few years ago?  It had seven players (some prospects) plus two or three draft picks and there were roster players changing hands.  If a Weber deal happens, I expect it'll be similarly structured with some roster players on both sides that can at least offset some of the cash outlay.

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It would be just like Drouin - who is the very definition of an unreliable player - to come up with a career year next year. That fits the profile: he will deliver in a year when we need it least

I think that would have been this year! 😁

I don't expect Price to return for the Columbus game tomorrow. Could it be for the home game vs Islanders on Friday? I wouldn't expect him to start against the Caps' offence on Saturday night.

The number of return options is rapidly shrinking now. And of course it's by now quite possible that he won't be ready at all this season.

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I don't expect Price to return for the Columbus game tomorrow. Could it be for the home game vs Islanders on Friday? I wouldn't expect him to start against the Caps' offence on Saturday night.

The number of return options is rapidly shrinking now. And of course it's by now quite possible that he won't be ready at all this season.

Even if he does come back, they're probably only going to give him two or three starts, just enough to prove to everyone that he has indeed recovered.  With nine games left, I wouldn't be surprised if the distribution was Montembeault 5, Price 3, Primeau 1.  If that's the plan, a return next week would still make that possible.

EOTP:

"The team also provided an update on the status of Emil Heineman. Heineman signed his entry-level contract last week, and was expected to sign a contract with the Rocket for the remainder of the season. He is in Montreal and being treated for an upper-body injury. There is no timeline to when he will be able to join the Rocket."