Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

The problem with the goalie market is this. Is it really an upgrade?

Carey is hurt and clearly thats a big blow.

We aren't getting Rinne, or Lundqvist, or Schneider or another top, top goalie. So we aren't coming close to filling Carey's shoes.

Whats available out there as a rental, Reimer, Cam Ward, maybe Talbot, etc.... are these guys upgrades on Condon? I'd say that even if they are, its a marginal at best upgrade.

Sure I'd like to get a backup for Condon, I don't trust tokarski. But I'm not sure we are gonna get a meaningful upgrade on Condon without trading significant assets.

To me the number one priority is still to ensure we have three legit scoring lines. Make sure we can score so that average goaltending will be enough.

Price is the best goalie in the world, and to me there is a huge difference between 1st and say like 5th.

But goaltending has become a position with so much parity, i don't know there is much difference between the 20th and 40th best NHL goalie.

Boy, pickings are slim when it comes to potential upgrades on Tokarski that shouldn't cost much of anything to acquire. (And you could make a case that Tokarski is better than some of these guys...)

J-F Berube (NYI) - this would have to be via a waiver claim as he can't be traded without going through waivers first

Justin Peters (WSH) - $950k cap hit would sting a bit in the short-term but when Price returns, the entire contract can be buried without cap penalty

Dan Ellis (WSH) - had a good short-term stint with Florida last year

Kevin Poulin (CGY) - with Ortio clearing waivers, Calgary doesn't really need him anymore (and they got him basically for free so Montreal likely could here as well)

Peter Budaj (LA) - you may laugh but he's off to a great start in the minors

Then there's someone like Scrivens who, if Edmonton retained 50%, would have a $1.15 M cap hit. He'd still cost $200k against the cap when the Habs would send him down when Price returns but he's a more reliable option than any of the above. On the flip side, he might actually cost more than a late pick or future considerations like the others.

• Upvote 1

No don't give Fucale a NHL start...yet.

He has been hot-cold in AHL and has key stuff to work on and improve; overplaying puck, strength etc. And little doubt he would get lit up by NHLers, maybe not every game, but what if it in his 1st one that he get shelled, seems too risky?

Boy, pickings are slim when it comes to potential upgrades on Tokarski that shouldn't cost much of anything to acquire. (And you could make a case that Tokarski is better than some of these guys...)

J-F Berube (NYI) - this would have to be via a waiver claim as he can't be traded without going through waivers first

Justin Peters (WSH) - $950k cap hit would sting a bit in the short-term but when Price returns, the entire contract can be buried without cap penalty

Kevin Poulin (CGY) - with Ortio clearing waivers, Calgary doesn't really need him anymore (and they got him basically for free so Montreal likely could here as well)

Then there's someone like Scrivens who, if Edmonton retained 50%, would have a $1.15 M cap hit. He'd still cost $200k against the cap when the Habs would send him down when Price returns but he's a more reliable option than any of the above. On the flip side, he might actually cost more than a late pick or future considerations like the others.

That's helpful, thanks. I always kinda liked Dan Ellis for some reason. Scrivens might be worthwhile, but the cost could be a problem.

I like Condon and don't think we need an 'upgrade' on him, unless Price is going to be out for months and months. But we do need another goalie who can take the load off Condon with some regularity, and I don't think anyone here has faith in Tokarski. Nor do I believe that calling up Fucale is necessarily a good idea - it's not good for a young goalie to be thrown in when he's not ready and thus get ventilated.

I wonder if we'll finally see Tinordi shipped out in a move for a G?

They should have picked up Ortio. Much rather have him as the backup than tokarski.

They should have picked up Ortio. Much rather have him as the backup than tokarski.

That would have been my preference as well but like Tokarski, Ortio hadn't played in the better part of a month (his last outing was getting shelled by the Habs in late October). Maybe the Habs saw something they didn't like when they saw him that game or they're confident Price won't be gone that long.

I'm with Commandant in that I think it's more important to maintain 3 scoring lines, Condon has shown he can handle it, at least so far, so let's use those assets wisely for some kinda splash at the deadline...or that top 6 guy right now to maintain scoring depth for our assets spent.

Not straight up, but If I'm moving Beaulieu its as part of a package for a true game breaker. Someone like Matt Duchene. (and yes I know we'd need to add to that package)

At this point Eberle is more valuable than Beaulieu. How could Beaulieu be the centrepiece of a package that would bring back Duchene? Maybe Beaulieu, Gallagher +, but I don't think anyone would want to do that.

At this point Eberle is more valuable than Beaulieu. How could Beaulieu be the centrepiece of a package that would bring back Duchene? Maybe Beaulieu, Gallagher +, but I don't think anyone would want to do that.

No way should gallagher be any part of a combo for Duchesne. I wouldn't even do that straight across. Gallagher and his contract are high value to any gm in the league. You're right that Beaulieu wouldn't be the centerpiece though. There would need to be high level prospects and 1st round picks in there

No way should gallagher be any part of a combo for Duchesne. I wouldn't even do that straight across. Gallagher and his contract are high value to any gm in the league. You're right that Beaulieu wouldn't be the centerpiece though. There would need to be high level prospects and 1st round picks in there

We don't have anyone not in the NHL who is more valuable than Beaulieu. I'm not saying we should be trade him, but he's the best possible 'centrepiece' being mentioned here (since everyone agrees there's no way we'd trade a young player better than him). But it's risky to trade a young D man like Nate.

Amazing that we picked up 5 people in the last year (5!) who either play, or can play RW (DSP, Semin, Kassian, Flynn, Byron) and yet our biggest need is a RW.

The injuries are a big test right now. Gallagher and Price, at probably our 4th and 1st most important players respectively. It would be similar TB losing stammer and bishop, or the rags losing lunqvist and Nash. And yet I'm not freaking out. We still have Subban, Pacioretty, Plex, Chucky, Markov, Petry. As well as DD weise and flash's solid line.

Even without galley and price we still look better than half the teams in the league. Good job management! Let's hope the boys still bring it.