Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

31 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Right, I see the breakdown. But is there somewhere where I can see the Jfresh WAR numbers for other D-men? My google efforts fell flat on that.

You need a subscription to his patreon. 

These are percentage based though, so having an 89% means that he's in the top 11% overall of defencemen in the NHL. 

• Upvote 1

i got a proposal ...

would Lane Hudson, 31 OA pick and a prospect get SJ Sharks 4th OA pick??

would that even be a good trade for the Habs, would having Michkov and Smith possibly make us better??

6 minutes ago, ehjay said:

i got a proposal ...

would Lane Hudson, 31 OA pick and a prospect get SJ Sharks 4th OA pick??

would that even be a good trade for the Habs, would having Michkov and Smith possibly make us better??

IMO too much to move up one spot ... especially Hutson.

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

IMO too much to move up one spot ... especially Hutson.

even if we keep the 5th

how about one of Harris or Baron (sp?) would SJS do that?

(edit)

or even both +31 OA + 2nd (maybe)

11 minutes ago, ehjay said:

even if we keep the 5th

how about one of Harris or Baron (sp?) would SJS do that?

(edit)

or even both +31 OA + 2nd (maybe)

Apologies ... misread the deal ... still don't want to move Hutson

Not certain that Guhle and 31st and 2nd would get the 4th ... let alone Harris and Baron++

Just now, GHT120 said:

Apologies ... misread the deal ... still don't want to move Hutson

Not certain that Guhle and 31st and 2nd would get the 4th ... let alone Harris and Baron++

tbh in my head it was Guhle or Hutson, but then i thought maybe SJS would want stock up on prospects and couple young NHL players .. it does seem like a top Heavy draft indeed :)

Not really a trade proposal but the 48 hours window for buyout is open right after the cup.

Hoffman is the obvious candidate for me in terms of player implication. Per cap friendly buyout savings is 3.3m this year and less 1.6 year after.

Makes room for a Comtois offer around 2.5m.

More size and grit is needed.

Habs still have Alzner on the books.

This year the Habs would sage money, but next year they would double what they are paying for Alzner ecause of a Hoffman buyout

I would not buy him out, if MSL can better use him unlike what he did with Dadonov. I think the Hoffer can still score in the NHL when properly deployed

image.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Easy Ryder said:

Not really a trade proposal but the 48 hours window for buyout is open right after the cup.

Hoffman is the obvious candidate for me in terms of player implication. Per cap friendly buyout savings is 3.3m this year and less 1.6 year after.

I don't think Hughes will want any dead cap in 2024-25, when the Habs get more serious about the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn’t buy out Hoffman.  The amount of savings Montreal would get is minor compared to a trade while retaining salary.  At 50% it’ll cost Montreal 900k more to trade and have no cap hit beyond this year.

Hoffman at $2.25m has enough value that there wouldn’t need to be a sweetener to trade him.  I would prefer they kept him and traded him at the deadline as well.  There’s a chance he could have a bounceback and have a better return.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I don't think Hughes will want any dead cap in 2024-25, when the Habs get more serious about the playoffs.

Agreed. I don't see any point in buying out Hoffman especially when cap space will be more important next year than this year as you said.  If he has a good year we might actually get some sort of pick for him at the deadline. 

3 hours ago, Easy Ryder said:

Just to clarify, it's not a 48-hour window that opens up after the Cup Final.  The window opens 48 hours after the Cup Final and lasts until June 30th.  It starts tomorrow and lasts for two weeks.

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Hoffman at $2.25m has enough value that there wouldn’t need to be a sweetener to trade him.  I would prefer they kept him and traded him at the deadline as well.  There’s a chance he could have a bounceback and have a better return.

Hoffman used to score a lot more, but much of that was on the power play. If our power play can be upgraded from totally inept to at least almost mediocre, Hoffman will be scoring more, too.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Hoffman used to score a lot more, but much of that was on the power play. If our power play can be upgraded from totally inept to at least almost mediocre, Hoffman will be scoring more, too.

And then have trade value.

• Upvote 1

I've said it before, I 100% do not understand why people suggest a Hoffman buy out. Can anyone explain the scorn heaped upon a player in the last year of their contract, and WHY they would want to extend his cap hit by virtue of a buyout? I don't see the Habs having a burning need for that $3.3M this coming season.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Just ship Hoffman off to Arizona like everyone else does with bad players and contracts.

With what pay-off or the Yotes?

25 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

They can try and pick up a bad contract for at least every team in the NHL 😂

Th why don’t actually trade for bad contracts like Hoffman. They trade for cap hit allowing them to recharge the floor, but have either significantly less actual dollars that need to be paid, or injured guys that insurance will be paying their salary.  Hoffman doesn’t fit their her criteria.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Yes and no

One of the reasons Hoffman isn't scoring on the PP is that the position he used to play for other teams, and where he scored a lot on the PP, is a position currently occupied by Nick Suzuki. 

That isn't changing.  

2 hours ago, huzer said:

I've said it before, I 100% do not understand why people suggest a Hoffman buy out. Can anyone explain the scorn heaped upon a player in the last year of their contract, and WHY they would want to extend his cap hit by virtue of a buyout? I don't see the Habs having a burning need for that $3.3M this coming season.

Agreed 100%. 

Pay him and play him this year.  Worst case scenario, he's off your books this time next year when you are ready to spend on UFAs. 

Small chance he produces and you deal him for a fifth. 

But no reason to take dead money in 2024-25

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

One of the reasons Hoffman isn't scoring on the PP is that the position he used to play for other teams, and where he scored a lot on the PP, is a position currently occupied by Nick Suzuki.

Suzuki isn't scoring much either (on the man advantage). :)  More seriously, if they can figure out how to improve the power play, Hoffman can (potentially) play a significant role on PP2 and score some more goals than he did last season, even if not as many as at his peak.

17 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Suzuki isn't scoring much either (on the man advantage). :)  More seriously, if they can figure out how to improve the power play, Hoffman can (potentially) play a significant role on PP2 and score some more goals than he did last season, even if not as many as at his peak.

Of course, the PP needs to be improved.  No doubt about that, its been bad for a while now. 

I'm just pointing out one of the issues with Hoffman and the Habs PP.  He's not put in the spot he's been most successful. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Of course, the PP needs to be improved.  No doubt about that, its been bad for a while now. 

I'm just pointing out one of the issues with Hoffman and the Habs PP.  He's not put in the spot he's been most successful. 

I do agree with you. So, the alternative might be to have him in that spot on PP2. Less ice time and less strong supporting cast, but he might still be more effective there. And fetch a better return at trade deadline ...