Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Not sure if Savard/Kovacevic would be a fit, nor what Stars would/could offer; just a thought.

NHL wish list 2023-24: What gift each team needs most this holiday season - The Athletic

Dallas Stars
"A right-handed defenseman: There was consideration to get greedy and say a top-four defenseman, and that would be ideal, but just a right-handed defenseman who is capable of staying in the lineup will suffice, as a bare minimum. The Stars’ blue line has been in flux, and the team is putting together a decent season despite that. But when expectations are the Stanley Cup, the warts get examined under a heavier microscope. Even if Miro Heiskanen stays on his off side and Jani Hakanpää keeps his spot in the lineup, the Stars could really use a third NHL-regular-type defenseman on the right side. — Saad Yousuf"

16 minutes ago, DON said:

Not sure if Savard/Kovacevic would be a fit, nor what Stars would/could offer; just a thought.

NHL wish list 2023-24: What gift each team needs most this holiday season - The Athletic

Dallas Stars
"A right-handed defenseman: There was consideration to get greedy and say a top-four defenseman, and that would be ideal, but just a right-handed defenseman who is capable of staying in the lineup will suffice, as a bare minimum. The Stars’ blue line has been in flux, and the team is putting together a decent season despite that. But when expectations are the Stanley Cup, the warts get examined under a heavier microscope. Even if Miro Heiskanen stays on his off side and Jani Hakanpää keeps his spot in the lineup, the Stars could really use a third NHL-regular-type defenseman on the right side. — Saad Yousuf"

Stars are tight to the cap ... Savard ($3.5M AAV) for Faksa($3.25), each with one more year on their deals, would work cap-wise ... and Faksa is a 4th liner so I would expect Hughes would want both compensation for Savard and for the Stars "dumping" Faksa ... Radek has a 5-team NTC ... so the odds are 26/31 that the Habs aren't on it; 3/7 if it is a "Canadian teams" NTC.

But not certain there is anyone amongst the Stars' prospects that Dallas would let go AND that would interest Hughes, so I expect it would have to be a draft pick(s).

dlbalr's final thoughts bring up bit of roster crunch on back end to address.

So who needs a young d-man and has a young forward prospect of similar value to swap?

Or could a Allen & a young d-man be a package deal for a young forward prospect?

Habs Weekly: Montreal Hits the Break on a Successful Note – HabsWorld.net

..."Accordingly, while some are wondering when the goalie rotation might come to an end, there’s a part of me that thinks the next trade Montreal makes will actually be moving out a blueliner.  A surplus of healthy depth has been a rarity for Montreal in recent years but they might actually be in that situation in the near future.  With no waiver exemption anymore, Harris will be the first of many pressure points to come on that front."

Jake Allen ($3,850,000)and Nicolas Beaudin($775,000) for Ilya Samsonov ($3,550,000) and Matthew Knies(925,000).  

Not sure if the leafs can fit Beaudin under their cap.  Samsonov is on a one year deal.

Knies is on the first year of his entry level contract.   Maybe Toronto is on Jake's 7 team no trade list?

46 minutes ago, Peter Puck said:

Jake Allen ($3,850,000)and Nicolas Beaudin($775,000) for Ilya Samsonov ($3,550,000) and Matthew Knies(925,000).  

Not sure if the leafs can fit Beaudin under their cap.  Samsonov is on a one year deal.

Knies is on the first year of his entry level contract.   Maybe Toronto is on Jake's 7 team no trade list?

Haven’t followed Knies much this year but unless he’s been absolute dog shit I severely doubt the maple leafs would do that…unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

Not sure if the leafs can fit Beaudin under their cap. 

Beaudin would be a Laval to Marlies AHL move, and at $775K there would be no cap impact ... although for the moment the Leafs have $14M+ of cap space thanks to LTIR (Klingberg, Murray, Muzzin), and all are likely out for the season.

1 hour ago, Helmethead said:

Haven’t followed Knies much this year but unless he’s been absolute dog shit I severely doubt the maple leafs would do that…unfortunately. 

There is some value in taking Samsonov off their hands but doubt it, Allen and an AHL defenceman is enough to get Knies ... TO media was "inducting him to the HoF" last summer.

Four Leafs forwards and one defenceman have NMCs ... four Leafs forwards and one defencemen have 10-team NTCs, another defenceman has a 7-team NTC ... plus, as a 7:20 min/game forward with a 3-yr, 35+ contract Reaves is likely all but untradeable ... of their "tradeable" players, one has an AAV of $1.4M, one $1.1M and the rest less than a million ... Treliving is not in an easy place when trying to bring in veteran players.

3 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

You think we could get Knies for taking on Samsonov's contract for 1/2 year?  Sorry but that doesn't even come close to what would be required to pry Knies off the Leaf's hands.  Never mind the fact that Knies has 1 more year on an entry level contract and Toronto would have zero interest in Beaudin. 

Toronto placed Samsonov on waivers today.  He has 1 year @ $3.55m.

Pure speculation but, Allen for Samsonov plus a pick or prospect, pending Samsonov clearing waivers?

Clears the logjam in net, Toronto gets an affordable goalie with an extra year on the deal.  Toronto does have a little LTIR to work with so the cap shouldn’t be an issue with them only taking on $300k, assuming a roster player isn’t going with Samsonov, like Robertson or Knies.

Woll isn’t back from injury yet and they only have Jones on their active roster currently.  There are rumours they may call up Hildeby.

19 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Pure speculation but, Allen for Samsonov plus a pick or prospect, pending Samsonov clearing waivers?

Clears the logjam in net, Toronto gets an affordable goalie with an extra year on the deal.  Toronto does have a little LTIR to work with so the cap shouldn’t be an issue with them only taking on $300k, assuming a roster player isn’t going with Samsonov, like Robertson or Knies.

Woll isn’t back from injury yet and they only have Jones on their active roster currently.  There are rumours they may call up Hildeby.

Depends on the pick/prospect ... TO has also been rumoured as a destination for Savard ... a bundle might make the return more substantial.

If they could manage to rehabilitate Samsonov's game, they might be able to get something for him at the deadline.

7 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I can't see Toronto wanting the extra year of Allen's deal.  Matthews is getting a big raise and Nylander will too so they're going to be looking to go really cheap in net.  (I think they're eyeing Woll as the starter next year with a backup around $1.5M). 

21 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Depends on the pick/prospect ... TO has also been rumoured as a destination for Savard ... a bundle might make the return more substantial.

If they could manage to rehabilitate Samsonov's game, they might be able to get something for him at the deadline.

Wait…wasn’t Samsonov supposed to be The Saviour in G, part of a brilliant managerial coup that also involved a resurgent Matt Murray? Just like Jack Campbell was The New Carey Price - ? 🤔

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wait…wasn’t Samsonov supposed to be The Saviour in G, part of a brilliant managerial coup that also involved a resurgent Matt Murray? Just like Jack Campbell was The New Carey Price - ? 🤔

Goalies are so hard to figure out (totally agree with Commandant on this).  It seems like you acquire one and hope for the best. 

• 2 weeks later...

ok, in the realm of improbable trade partners, just to have some fun; here is a trade proposal:

To OTT: One of the Habs 2025 1st round pick, Joel Armia ($3.4M/2025) and  Jake Allen ($3.85M/2025)

To MTL: Drake Batherson ($4.975M/2027) and Vladimir Taransenko ($5.0M/2024)

The Habs receive young forward with good scoring potential although with questionable defensive judgement/play. They also get an aging scoring forward on an expiring UFA contract, the price to get rid of Armia.

The Sens receive a 1st round pick, a defensive forward that should improve their PK and late game shutdown missions (the opposite of Batherson?). They also get a passable back up goaltender that should allow for their young G prospects to develop a bit further; Allen also provides relief given the latest injury to Forsberg.

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

ok, in the realm of improbable trade partners, just to have some fun; here is a trade proposal:

To OTT: One of the Habs 2025 1st round pick, Joel Armia ($3.4M/2025) and  Jake Allen ($3.85M/2025)

To MTL: Drake Batherson ($4.975M/2027) and Vladimir Taransenko ($5.0M/2024)

The Habs receive young forward with good scoring potential although with questionable defensive judgement/play. They also get an aging scoring forward on an expiring UFA contract, the price to get rid of Armia.

The Sens receive a 1st round pick, a defensive forward that should improve their PK and late game shutdown missions (the opposite of Batherson?). They also get a passable back up goaltender that should allow for their young G prospects to develop a bit further; Allen also provides relief given the latest injury to Forsberg.

I expect that Ottawa would at least a 1st just for Batherson (25 yr-old forward with size on pace ofr 30 goals).

Taresenko is on a 20g/82gm pace ... so he will have some value in a trade ... Hughes would not be doing Ottawa a "favour" to take him.

Habs will have to PAY to move Armia, and not certain Allen has any particular value to Ottawa.

Don't see any reason Ottawa would even consider the deal.

39 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Habs will have to PAY to move Armia, and not certain Allen has any particular value to Ottawa.

I don't think they will pay to move Armia, at least this year, as he still has value to the team (primarily PK), albeit less than his contract. And his contract is not so onerous as to significantly impact the Habs' cap space next year.

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I don't think they will pay to move Armia, at least this year, as he still has value to the team (primarily PK), albeit less than his contract. And his contract is not so onerous as to significantly impact the Habs' cap space next year.

I said I-M-O they will have to pay to move Armia (i.e., if they want to move him), not that they will pay to move Armia ... I expect them to just wait out the contract, maybe move him for little or no return ***if*** an opportunity presents itself this summer or next season.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I said I-M-O they will have to pay to move Armia (i.e., if they want to move him), not that they will pay to move Armia ... I expect them to just wait out the contract, maybe move him for little or no return ***if*** an opportunity presents itself this summer or next season.

I know you said that, I was just elucidating! 🙂

27 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I know you said that, I was just elucidating! 🙂

Then we agree ... apologies for fearing you misread my post.

well, that is the best I could come up with.

failure feels like a way of life for us lowly potato heads, runs in the family 😞

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

well, that is the best I could come up with.

failure feels like a way of life for us lowly potato heads, runs in the family 😞

Although many of your trade proposals get shot down at least you are willing to give it a shot. Don't get discouraged or give up. Think of the story of Robert The Bruce and the spider.  There will come a day when you come up with something we all agree with. OK maybe many of us will agree with it, all of us would be difficult. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Although many of your trade proposals get shot down at least you are willing to give it a shot. Don't get discouraged or give up. Think of the story of Robert The Bruce and the spider.  There will come a day when you come up with something we all agree with. OK maybe many of us will agree with it, all of us would be difficult. 

thanks buddy.

I enjoy trying to figure out how to help the Habs win a Stanley cup. And I do not take myself seriously, although I am a seriously devoted Habs fan.

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

https://history.howstuffworks.com/historical-figures/robert-the-bruce.htm

🕷️ 🕸️ 🕷️ 🕸️  🕸️ 🕷️ 🕸️  🕸️ 🕷️ 🕸️  🕸️ 🕷️ 🕸️  🕸️ 🕷️ 🕸️  🕸️ 🕷️ 🕸️  🕸️ 🕷️ 🕸️ 

I had to look it up :)

OK, I will make a trade proposal since I haven't done one yet.  Feel free to pick it apart. It might be longer term thinking than Hughes prefers right now. 

To Edmonton:

Sean Monahan

To Montreal:

Edmonton's 2nd pick in the 2025 NHL draft plus the option to switch 1st round picks in 2026.  The Habs may have to take back a contract (shorter term) to make this work. 

Edmonton gets a forward who is really versatile and can play in a number of different situations.  Montreal continues with the rebuild and if the Oilers can't resign Draisaitl/McDavid then they may have to rebuild. Even if they do sign them both then they will take up such a big chunk of the cap that the Oilers can't afford other key pieces.  So 2026 could be a tough year for the Oilers, if it isn't they give up nothing.  Montreal should be much better by 2026.

I think perhaps Hughes prefers young prospects to picks right now but this could turn out great.