Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

7 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Also, if a team needs a top-4 defensemen and a 2nd/3rd line center, how much of a contender are they really?

Contenders likely would see Savard more as  3rd pairing- PK guy- depth (with Habs eating some $$).

Monahan-type seems in demand by contenders, isnt he.  

Someone mentioned Savard was worth a 1st round pick, thats seems crazy, but I never thought Chiarot would cost one either.

15 minutes ago, DON said:

Contenders likely would see Savard more as  3rd pairing- PK guy- depth (with Habs eating some $$).

A possible issue is that eating salary on Savard is the last retention slot for this season and uses up a second slot for next season ... I don't expect HuGo wants to do that.

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

A possible issue is that eating salary on Savard is the last retention slot for this season and uses up a second slot for next season ... I don't expect HuGo wants to do that.

So much will depend on the return, though. A marginal deal, no, but a first and a prospect will probably convince him.

41 minutes ago, DON said:

Monahan-type seems in demand by contenders, isnt he.  

Someone mentioned Savard was worth a 1st round pick, thats seems crazy, but I never thought Chiarot would cost one either.

That was me. 

I don’t personally think he’s worth a first talent wise but it is crazy season and he carries coveted intangibles. 

I genuinely think we need to look at it that any trades at the deadline could be deals to setup for deals at the draft. Given the amount of defenders we have in the pipeline, plus the fact the club has a potential opportunity to look at Hutson, Engstrom and/or Reinbacher at the end of their own seasons, there may be a deal to move up or get something tasty at the draft. Thinking something similar to the Dach trade in 2022. 

Harris + 1st Rd 2024 <=> Scoring Forward

Appreciate that it needs to be a good deal for the other team, but eventually the depth we have on D has to be cashed in to bring in some quality to supplement Caufield as a natural sniper. 

Edited by brindavis

14 hours ago, GHT120 said:

With Monahan now traded without retention, and there's no way you could of known that at the time of writing your comment, retaining part of Savard's contract is more likely IF he is traded this season.

Personally I don't believe he will be traded until the off-season or next year, unless the return is great, like a 1st/equivalent+.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

With Monahan now traded without retention, and there's no way you could of known that at the time of writing your comment, retaining part of Savard's contract is more likely IF he is traded this season.

Personally I don't believe he will be traded until the off-season or next year, unless the return is great, like a 1st/equivalent+.

I might see it more as a tool to resolve the "Gidorah" goalie situation in goal.

• Upvote 1

Both are signed for next season.  I dont see us taking them unless its something like the original monahan trade.

I think Newhook will be back soon and a i see us using him at centre.

Suzuki, Newhook, evans, condotta and Stephens will be the centres to finish the year.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think Newhook will be back soon and a i see us using him at centre.

Suzuki, Newhook, evans, condotta and Stephens will be the centres to finish the year.

Newhook may not be optimal at centre, but it'll be his opportunity, to be sure. And just maybe he can do a credible job there--we'll find out soon enough.

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Newhook may not be optimal at centre, but it'll be his opportunity, to be sure. And just maybe he can do a credible job there--we'll find out soon enough.

Isn’t Newhook a center that also plays wing?

30 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Exactly.  Its an extended audition for next year.  Why not? Its not like this team is making the playoffs.

17 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Isn’t Newhook a center that also plays wing?

From what Ive seen in Montreal and Colorado, hes been more effective on the wing at the NHL level.

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

From what Ive seen in Montreal and Colorado, hes been more effective on the wing at the NHL level.

From what we've seen I agree ... but that was 23 games in a new city, on a new team, etc. ... THIS is the opportunity to see if those first impressions were correct, or whether Newhook can at least be a viable option at centre if/when needed down the road (even if primarily playing on the wing).

I think we're all in agreement: this is the chance for Newhook to show that he can be an effective centre in the NHL. There is no playoff pressure, there is plenty of ice time, over 30 games left in the season--and development support from St-Louis, Nicholas and Ramage. If he's capable of it, we'll know by the end of the season.

54 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

From what we've seen I agree ... but that was 23 games in a new city, on a new team, etc. ... THIS is the opportunity to see if those first impressions were correct, or whether Newhook can at least be a viable option at centre if/when needed down the road (even if primarily playing on the wing).

Absolutely no harm in giving him time to change that, especially given our lack of healthy centres and the fact we arent making the playoffs.

Was just saying what Ive seen to date 

To CBJ: Tanner Pearson ($3.25M/pending UFA)

To MTL: Jack Rostolvic ($4.00M/pending UFA)

Habs get someone who has played center in the past

Jackets get a winger for a player that was playing the wing.

Why do the Jackets do this instead of just trading Roslovic for a prospect or draft pick (even a late one).  They arent making the playoffs (they are worse than the Habs), so why do they want Pearson instead of something for future?

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

To CBJ: Tanner Pearson ($3.25M/pending UFA)

To MTL: Jack Roslovic ($4.00M/pending UFA)

Habs get someone who has played center in the past

Jackets get a winger for a player that was playing the wing.

But what is the benefit to Columbus? Why trade a local kid with no future on the team who can play center when Boone inevitably gets hurt again for a pure winger with no future on the team?

Out of the centers on expiring contracts he is the closest to the value to Rostolvic.

CBJ gets a bit more offensive and an actual winger at lower cap.

mince pickings 

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Out of the centers on expiring contracts he is the closest to the value to Rostolvic.

CBJ gets a bit more offensive and an actual winger at lower cap.

mince pickings 

I think the point is that if CBJ trades Rostolvic they will be looking for some sort of asset(s) in their "re-tool", not anything for this season.

Based on the discussion on this Forum, it doesn’t sound like swinging another Monahan-type master class in asset management will be imminent.

Living outside the Habs’ market, I can attest to the fact that Hughes’s adroitness has been noticed around the league. He’s being cited as a sort of gold standard in managing assets and turning nothing into something. 

I take anything Blowhard Pierre Macguire says with a grain of salt, but he also praised Hughes for doing what he promised and trading Monahan to a contender. Macguire claimed that that also gets noticed with approval by agents, players, and GMs around the league: Hughes is a man of his word. 

HuGo’s stock has never been higher.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I think the point is that if CBJ trades Rostolvic they will be looking for some sort of asset(s) in their "re-tool", not anything for this season.

Exactly.  Columbus has plenty of wingers they can recall to take Roslovic's spot so they'd have no interest in Pearson.  They want a pick or a prospect for him.