2021 NHL Playoffs

Neech

5 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

It's the return of Pac 

Man should be a good series but knights are deep on D and at forward.

What the heck happened to Colorado. I thought for sure they were the team to beat.

I also thought Colorado was the team to beat.  Vegas will be very tough, they are on a roll and playing with a lot of confidence. 

40 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

It's the return of Pac 

Man should be a good series but knights are deep on D and at forward.

What the heck happened to Colorado. I thought for sure they were the team to beat.

Basically 2 of the top 3 team in the league had to play each other in the 2nd round.

As an exiled Montreal it is heard to think like that. Montreal had an expansion baseball team for many years (the Expos) that was beloved by everyone

The Habs mascot (Youp!) was the mascot it that baseball team

I doubt most fans will fell the same way about an expansion team

That being said, just because it’s the playoffs it sufficient reason to grind them to sand

Go Habs Go!

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

As an exiled Montreal it is heard to think like that. Montreal had an expansion baseball team for many years (the Expos) that was beloved by everyone

The Habs mascot (Youp!) was the mascot it that baseball team

I doubt most fans will fell the same way about an expansion team

That being said, just because it’s the playoffs it sufficient reason to grind them to sand

Go Habs Go!

I know you’re right. Some will never want an expansion team to win - only the historical/traditional teams. 

I think the point tho wasn’t that Vegas is an expansion team, therefore be doesn’t want them to win … but more that they are such a new expansion team that in a way, never paid their dues and therefore wants them ground ‘to the sand’. 

I agree with him. I want expansion fan bases to have their decade of futility as they build and grow. Then they can be a contender or top tier team that wins it all and heck, even become a dynasty (except, of course, that would mean the Habs aren’t the dynasty in which case I take that back). 

Good expansionteam like Tampa and Nashville. Thats the way it should be done. If Im the owners of those teams I would be very irritated that Vegas had so much better rules.

Im sure Bettman just dont want to see another Atlanta Trashers.

• Upvote 1

Habs will win, despite M-A Fleury being awesome. Which will perpetuate the VGK's hunt for the cup past their window

:spamafote:is that better? :spamafote:

2 hours ago, revvvrob said:

... I agree with him. I want expansion fan bases to have their decade of futility as they build and grow. Then they can be a contender or top tier team that wins it all and heck, even become a dynasty (except, of course, that would mean the Habs aren’t the dynasty in which case I take that back). 

It will never happen again unless the franchise's ownership hires incompetent management ... nobody pays $650M (Kraken) or more (much, much more for other leagues) for every team's 13F/7D/3G anymore.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Habs will win, despite M-A Fleury being awesome. Which will perpetuate the VGK's hunt for the cup past their window

:spamafote:is that better? :spamafote:

Not certain what window VGK are approaching ... they are the 13th oldest team (on average) this season ... Habs are 7th.

14 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

I really dislike that a expansionteam is allowed to become so good right away.

Please beat them. Grind them to sand.

I heard that NHL is letting Settle be the first team to talk to UFA's.  I remember when Ottawa got their team how bad a roster it was. It was a team full of 4th line out cast's from other teams. 

23 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I heard that NHL is letting Settle be the first team to talk to UFA's.  I remember when Ottawa got their team how bad a roster it was. It was a team full of 4th line out cast's from other teams. 

They can talk to UFAs who were left exposed by their teams. If they reach agreement with one of them, that counts as the draft pick from that team.

If we don't want Seattle picking up Danault or Armia, for example, we can either protect them as UFAs (not very clever as e might not be able to sign them) or sign them to extensions before the draft and then protect them.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Same rules as Vegas

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

They can talk to UFAs who were left exposed by their teams. If they reach agreement with one of them, that counts as the draft pick from that team.

If we don't want Seattle picking up Danault or Armia, for example, we can either protect them as UFAs (not very clever as e might not be able to sign them) or sign them to extensions before the draft and then protect them.

I agree, I have them both in my protection list

8 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Not certain what window VGK are approaching ... they are the 13th oldest team (on average) this season ... Habs are 7th.

the M-A Fleury window of course ... 😑

44 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

the M-A Fleury window of course ... 😑

Poor guy gets no respect. He's a hall of fame in my books. Awesome goalie with an awesome record. Seems like a good guy too.

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

Poor guy gets no respect. He's a hall of fame in my books. Awesome goalie with an awesome record. Seems like a good guy too.

Yes. But three years older than Price.

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yes. But three years older than Price.

So can Price catch up the three cups in those years?

Fleury was the backup goalie for 2 of the cups.... He really only started for one. 

Still the argument that cups define who the best player is in a team sport is silly. 

No one argues that Henri Richard and his 11 Cups are better than Wayne Gretzky and his 4 cups. 

No one argues that Trent Dilfer with his superbowl ring was a better QB than Dan Marino.

Fleury's been a very good goalie.  I still think that both Lundqvist and Price were better goalies in the same era.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Not likely. But the question was about the Vegas window closing ...

For sure. I chose the wrong venue to discuss it. He is getting older for sure. But what a steller career? And another comparable for the dudes saying carey will turn into a pumpkin at 35.

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Fleury was the backup goalie for 2 of the cups.... He really only started for one. 

Still the argument that cups define who the best player is in a team sport is silly. 

No one argues that Henri Richard and his 11 Cups are better than Wayne Gretzky and his 4 cups. 

No one argues that Trent Dilfer with his superbowl ring was a better QB than Dan Marino.

Fleury's been a very good goalie.  I still think that both Lundqvist and Price were better goalies in the same era.

Oh I agree. Neither had two dominant centres like Crosby and Malkin.  I have a new found respect for Fleury since he came to Vegas, but he’s isn’t even close to being the best of his generation. 

it’s why also don’t think 4 time cup winners like Clark Gillis belong in the HOF (big of his line mates were no brainers), and it’s why I don’t think Mike Vernon belongs in the HOF, despite multiple cup wins. He wasn’t the train they won.

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Not likely. But the question was about the Vegas window closing ...

The comment wasn’t meant really as a real comparison.  More of a off the cuff remark, based on the coincidence of the three cups and thee year age difference.

I actually never really liked Fleury - have more respect now for what he’s accomplished in a Vegas. He always seemed flaky to me, but now from everything I’ve read, he seems like a genuinely good guy and teammate from the way everyone talks about him.

As far as Vegas, I don’t think their window is closing. They have a mix of aging guys, guys in their prime and as still have prospects in the pipeline.  Only position that you don’t know how long it will hold up is coincidentally goaltending.  I don’t have a heck of a last I’d faith in Lehner.  Maybe he is good for the term of his contract, but he has never been consistent.

34 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

For sure. I chose the wrong venue to discuss it. He is getting older for sure. But what a steller career? And another comparable for the dudes saying carey will turn into a pumpkin at 35.

I think they should still be a contender for another 2-3 years. I think after that the peitrangelo contact maybe get ugly. But the only other Dman signed LT is Theodore- so at least they’ve given term to the right guys.

33 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Oh I agree. Neither had two dominant centres like Crosby and Malkin.  I have a new found respect for Fleury since he came to Vegas, but he’s isn’t even close to being the best of his generation. 

it’s why also don’t think 4 time cup winners like Clark Gillis belong in the HOF (big of his line mates were no brainers), and it’s why I don’t think Mike Vernon belongs in the HOF, despite multiple cup wins. He wasn’t the train they won.

The comment wasn’t meant really as a real comparison.  More of a off the cuff remark, based on the coincidence of the three cups and thee year age difference.

I actually never really liked Fleury - have more respect now for what he’s accomplished in a Vegas. He always seemed flaky to me, but now from everything I’ve read, he seems like a genuinely good guy and teammate from the way everyone talks about him.

As far as Vegas, I don’t think their window is closing. They have a mix of aging guys, guys in their prime and as still have prospects in the pipeline.  Only position that you don’t know how long it will hold up is coincidentally goaltending.  I don’t have a heck of a last I’d faith in Lehner.  Maybe he is good for the term of his contract, but he has never been consistent.

You got my point 

my off the cuff remark was about getting all worked up because an expansion team may win the cup

they are legit cup contenders, but until they win it they are as likely to always be the bridesmaid and never the bride

• dlbalr unpinned this topic