What would you do if you were the GM?

REV-G

14 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... Need to trade: Hoffman, Armia, Chiarot

Want to trade: Petry, Wideman, Byron, Price, Gallagher (but we are probably stuck with him)

Willing to trade: Drouin, Dvorak, Lehkonen, R. Pitlick, Savard, Clague, Kulak, Allen, Montembeault

Not willing to trade: Anderson, Suzuki, Caufield, Evans, Poehling, Edmundson, Romanov, Ylonen

• Not certain if you meant the lists in terms of this deadline or essentially "before next season" ... I took it as the latter
  • Agree with the players on the "need" list ... but I would add Petry 
  • I would move Lehkonen to either "need" or "want" ... I think the return would warrant it ... as a 2023 UFA I don't expect him to be around more than next season ... so if not this deadline then next ... but might fetch a bit more this season 9a) coming off a strong playoff run and (b) being a RFA which gives some contract control.
  • I would move Kulak to "want"
  • In a rebuild I am OK with keeping Byron as a veteran presence for another season unless the return is very good
  • Don't see Evans or Poehling as "Not willing" ... they have yet to show me they are more than marginal 3Cs
  • Ylonen struck me as an out-of-left-field inclusion for "not willing" ... he hasn't really impressed me with the Rocket ... and if we are including non-NHL players there is a list of "amateur" prospects I would reference before Ylonen

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's one of those things few people realize - the Habs already have nearly $80 million in contracts for next year...to 10 players and there's a bonus overage penalty to be added to that as well.  Sure, Weber will be LTIR-eligible so you could effectively subtract his cap hit off that (it's not that simple but close enough for this purpose) but that would make it around $72M in spending on 9 players.  The cap is going to $82.5M so they have about $10.5M to spend on at least 11 players, likely closer to 14.  It's barely doable if everyone makes under $1M so expect a lot of entry-level players or low-salary veterans next season unless they clear out some players already signed.

That $80 million is certainly a negative legacy from MB ... even if they do manage to move out contracts with term I expect a lot of entry-level players or low-salary veterans next season.

24 minutes ago, GHT120 said:
  • I would move Lehkonen to either "need" or "want" ... I think the return would warrant it ... as a 2023 UFA I don't expect him to be around more than next season ... so if not this deadline then next ... but might fetch a bit more this season 9a) coming off a strong playoff run and (b) being a RFA which gives some contract control.

That's actually more of a "willing" description. Lehkonen is capable making a contribution even after the rebuild and is still young, so we should be happy to keep him. But if another team is willing to pay more than he is worth to us, we should be willing to trade him.

For "need" or "want" categories we would be willing to compromise what we accept in return; in "willing" we can wait for the right offer, or keep the player if no one is willing to pay the right amount.

Certainly has the Gorton connection from NYRs days.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It's one of those things few people realize - the Habs already have nearly $80 million in contracts for next year...to 10 players and there's a bonus overage penalty to be added to that as well.  

80 Million on 10 players?   Is that a typo?  That's not what I see.

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

80 Million on 10 players?   Is that a typo?  That's not what I see.

By my count on Capfriendly, it's about $80M on 15 players. But maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing?

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

By my count on Capfriendly, it's about $80M on 15 players. But maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing?

I see 34.5M for 9 forwards (Lehkonen needs to be signed), 19.8M for 6 guys on IR, 6.25M for Petry  + 18M for Weber and Price.  Romanov also needs to get signed. I am assuming  Kulak, Charot, Perreault are gone.

That is about 80M for almost everyone including Price & Weber  (need to sign Lehkonen, Romanov and a couple other minor contracts)

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

You're right.  The chart below all the contracts says 10 (that's what I used) but that doesn't pick up the listing of players on IR, just the money.  But even at $80M for 15 players ($72M for 14 minus Weber), that's still not a lot of wiggle room and they will want some low-cost role players over a pricier depth piece.

Am I still the only 1 that thinks Rem Pitlick will be around for a while?  He should be resigned ASAP for as cheap and long as possible.  i.e. he's 24 and hasnt played 80 NHL games, so I would imagine that what he wants more than anything would be a guaranteed NHL contract.  They should offer him 4-5 yr deal worth 5-6 mil and see if he takes it.  I would have definitely tried to lock him up before moving Toffoli.  He isnt as good as Toffoli, but he'd cost 1/3 the price.  

Plus, I'm sorta worried that the Habs getting Tyler Pitlick might have screwed up their chances at singing Rem for cheap.  Tyler's aav is 1.75 and his salary this year is 2.2 mil.  Rem seems to be better than his cousin so he might want 1.75-2.25 mil/yr or more.  

I don't think Rem will be around long-term, nor do I think he should be.  He has gone much quieter over the last few games - he might have touched the puck twice last night.  That's about the third game out of the last five where he has been virtually invisible out there which is not good.  He had a good start and he's worth giving a longer look to but I'd caution against advocating for another Jordan Weal situation (or worse with that long of an offer).  Weal looked great coming over from Arizona in a small sample size, then signed a contract that wound up being well above market value and a bit of a cap burden last season when he was still partially on the books despite being in Laval when his contract meant he had no chance of being claimed off waivers.  Let's get through the season and if he shows he can be serviceable in a bottom-six role down the stretch (he's not talented enough to be a long-term top-six piece), then maybe he's offered another contract.

Tyler's contract has no bearing on Rem.  Tyler has a track record of being a quality fourth liner (not this year though) as a player that plays with some energy and can produce some points.  So yeah, of course his contract will be more than Rem who is just starting out his career. 

The fact that Rem has been waived twice this season doesn't give him a lot of leverage around the league.  Group VI unrestricted free agents don't generally have a big market - I think the biggest contracts to those players recently have been Weal with Philly (the deal Montreal eventually acquired from Arizona) and Matthew Peca with Montreal a few years ago.  That's the top end of the marketplace for Rem, not Tyler's deal.  If he wants Tyler's money, he's not going to be signing anywhere. 

Back to my other note about holding his own in a bottom-six role - if he can do that, he's worth around $1M on the open market, tops and that would be on a one-year or two-year deal.  If he struggles in that role and doesn't do much down the stretch, he's heading for a pay cut; too many teams are capped out to throw more than minimum money at fringe players.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think Rem will be around long-term, nor do I think he should be.  He has gone much quieter over the last few games - he might have touched the puck twice last night.  That's about the third game out of the last five where he has been virtually invisible out there which is not good.  He had a good start and he's worth giving a longer look to but I'd caution against advocating for another Jordan Weal situation (or worse with that long of an offer).  Weal looked great coming over from Arizona in a small sample size, then signed a contract that wound up being well above market value and a bit of a cap burden last season when he was still partially on the books despite being in Laval when his contract meant he had no chance of being claimed off waivers.  Let's get through the season and if he shows he can be serviceable in a bottom-six role down the stretch (he's not talented enough to be a long-term top-six piece), then maybe he's offered another contract.

Tyler's contract has no bearing on Rem.  Tyler has a track record of being a quality fourth liner (not this year though) as a player that plays with some energy and can produce some points.  So yeah, of course his contract will be more than Rem who is just starting out his career. 

The fact that Rem has been waived twice this season doesn't give him a lot of leverage around the league.  Group VI unrestricted free agents don't generally have a big market - I think the biggest contracts to those players recently have been Weal with Philly (the deal Montreal eventually acquired from Arizona) and Matthew Peca with Montreal a few years ago.  That's the top end of the marketplace for Rem, not Tyler's deal.  If he wants Tyler's money, he's not going to be signing anywhere. 

Back to my other note about holding his own in a bottom-six role - if he can do that, he's worth around $1M on the open market, tops and that would be on a one-year or two-year deal.  If he struggles in that role and doesn't do much down the stretch, he's heading for a pay cut; too many teams are capped out to throw more than minimum money at fringe players.

Yeah 100% agree. We are already overpaying enough for plumbers. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah 100% agree. We are already overpaying enough for plumbers. 

but if the plumbers are fiends of the family.... they may stick around the country club

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Pitlick is nothing more than a 4th liner and he may not even be that.

A one year deal at league minimum would be fine as we likely are tanking again next season.  But multiple years and significant money?  No thank you.

If Bergie was here he might be one of "his guys" ... but I agree with you.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

but if the plumbers are fiends of the family.... they may stick around the country club

Don’t care as long as they don’t take up cap space.

51 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Double Boooo!   When are you starting the "Fire Vinny Lecavallier"  forum? 

why? don't you know how to start it ?

it's ok to get paid for watching hockey games from a Florida mansion, there is nothing wrong with that

Looking at the NHL standings it may behoove H&G to make any trades sooner than later ... currently there is no real playoff race in the east, Boston is 9 points up on CBJ ... in the west , Dallas is chasing Los Angeles for the last wild card spot; Anaheim is tied with LA but has played 3 more games and Vancouver is chasing Dallas but have played 2 more games ... by the deadline the playoff races COULD be all but settled.

PLUS

In the case of Chiarot, 6 of the top 9 players on TSN's trade bait board are defencemen ... with Hampus Lindholm 15th really only because it seems less likely he will be dealt than the others ... hold onto him for too long and Montreal could be on the wrong end of a Kovalev-ish trade,

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Looking at the NHL standings it may behoove H&G to make any trades sooner than later ... currently there is no real playoff race in the east, Boston is 9 points up on CBJ ... in the west , Dallas is chasing Los Angeles for the last wild card spot; Anaheim is tied with LA but has played 3 more games and Vancouver is chasing Dallas but have played 2 more games ... by the deadline the playoff races COULD be all but settled.

PLUS

In the case of Chiarot, 6 of the top 9 players on TSN's trade bait board are defencemen ... with Hampus Lindholm 15th really only because it seems less likely he will be dealt than the others ... hold onto him for too long and Montreal could be on the wrong end of a Kovalev-ish trade,

I am guessing that Hughes hasn't received an offer close enough to what he is looking for regarding Chiarot.  He may have to wait.  I guess it's a bit like a game of chicken.  There  is a risk of Chiarot getting hurt, of course other defenseman could also get hurt (ie. Muzzin)  which could drive up his value. If he doesn't get at least a 1st then he might as well wait a bit longer. 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

PLUS

I'm not sure I follow. The intent of the deadline trade isn't to put someone over the hump to make the playoffs. It's generally to bolster a contending roster.

10 minutes ago, huzer said:

I'm not sure I follow. The intent of the deadline trade isn't to put someone over the hump to make the playoffs. It's generally to bolster a contending roster.

It can be both ... if teams are close enough to the wild card they will trade to try to make the playoffs

4 hours ago, huzer said:

More teams farther out from the playoffs makes for more sellers.