Trade Deadline 2023 - Friday, March 3rd, 3pm EST

Neech

Polls for the People  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should we trade Anderson for a big return (i.e. 1st rounder + good prospect and salary filler)?

• Trade him
    • Keep him
  2. 2. Will we find a taker for any of these mediocre forwards?

• Hoffman
    • Dadonov
    • Drouin
    • Armia
  3. 3. Will we get a 1st rounder for Monahan or Edmonston?

• 1st for both
    • 1st for Eddy
    • 1st for Monahan
    • Neither

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Weber is likely covered by insurance,, same with Little too.... so not sure how much in "actual salary" the Coyotes are paying. 

If Price is insured maybe they would want him too
😉

I like this take on the Weber trade:

19 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I like this take on the Weber trade:

Except that 'Yotes won't need to put him on LTIR as they are nowhere near the cap ceiling ($16M under the cap even counting Weber) ... he is just on plain old injured reserve ... and I expect the same will likely be true next season as well.

15 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Except that 'Yotes won't need to put him on LTIR as they are nowhere near the cap ceiling ($16M under the cap even counting Weber) ... he is just on plain old injured reserve ... and I expect the same will likely be true next season as well.

Unless they take on a bunch of other bad contracts, of course, they will have the LTIR option if they need it.

17 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Is Arizona just in the league to help top team's with their cap issues? I mean this organization has been run so badly from day one. It's laughable.

Yup. It's also a joke how long they have been trying to trade Chychrun.  

I feel like Weber deserves better than this indignity - being passed around like herpes - but such are the vagaries of the cap system. Since he is signed for another 678 years, he can probably look forward to another such ‘trade’ or two before it’s all over. 

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I feel like Weber deserves better than this indignity - being passed around like herpes - but such are the vagaries of the cap system. Since he is signed for another 678 years, he can probably look forward to another such ‘trade’ or two before it’s all over. 

Well really it's on him. He doesn't want to officially retire so he can still get paid. It's just his contract that gets passed around since he's never really playing for these team's. 

Looks like Washington has decided that this year is not the year. Don't blame them as they are an aging team and perhaps time to rebuild a bit.  This definitely makes Boston stronger. 

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dmitry-orlov-garnet-hathaway-traded-to-boston-bruins-from-washington-capitals-1.1922953

20 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think this will be his final landing place, just like the other Hall of Famers and former impact veterans (Hossa, Datsyuk, Pronger, etc).  Arizona has very limited revenues for a few more years with the arena so this lets them spend less on the cap and they actually saved salary dollars with this swap which was probably the real impetus for the deal.  (Weber's uninsured portion costs less than Mayo's salary for the rest of his contract.)

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I think this will be his final landing place, just like the other Hall of Famers and former impact veterans (Hossa, Datsyuk, Pronger, etc).  Arizona has very limited revenues for a few more years with the arena so this lets them spend less on the cap and they actually saved salary dollars with this swap which was probably the real impetus for the deal.  (Weber's uninsured portion costs less than Mayo's salary for the rest of his contract.)

Well that’s also probably the only way for them to get hall of famers on their franchise 🙄

16 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Looks like Washington has decided that this year is not the year. Don't blame them as they are an aging team and perhaps time to rebuild a bit.  This definitely makes Boston stronger. 

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/dmitry-orlov-garnet-hathaway-traded-to-boston-bruins-from-washington-capitals-1.1922953

The Cup is Boston’s to lose. They’re a frigging powerhouse. 

Interesting to note that they’ve been fairly consistent contenders for over a decade without having had to tank. Superb drafting and development has been their calling card. Unfortunately. 

55 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Interesting to note that they’ve been fairly consistent contenders for over a decade without having had to tank. Superb drafting and development has been their calling card. Unfortunately. 

Perhaps the Bruins actually had things like skills coaches and a development programs? 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Boston is certainly the favourite but I wish I had a dollar for every time the heavy favourite has lost in the 1st round to a team that had to fight and scrape to get into the last playoff spot. 

30 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... but I wish I had a dollar for every time the heavy favourite has lost in the 1st round to a team that had to fight and scrape to get into the last playoff spot. 

I imagine is some stat website that might spit out regular season success vs Playoff results.

I think is common for 'some' upsets every year, not sure what % is.

1 hour ago, DON said:

I imagine is some stat website that might spit out regular season success vs Playoff results.

I think is common for 'some' upsets every year, not sure what % is.

The strongest correlation between stats and predicting who will win a series is advanced stats. 

The team with the better regular season xG% wins the playoff series about 65% of the time.  

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The strongest correlation between stats and predicting who will win a series is advanced stats. 

The team with the better regular season xG% wins the playoff series about 65% of the time.  

And the 35% is when 'shit-happens' and a favoured team like the Leafs lays an egg. 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

And the 35% is what Bergevin loves to aim for. 😂😂😂

dr-dis-respect-doctor-strange.gif

Vitali Kravtsov goes to Vancouver.  There were some credible reports suggesting the Habs were in on that one although, given the return, they weren't that interested.  This is one of the dominoes needed for Patrick Kane to go to the Rangers and the other one will fall tomorrow after 2 PM ET when waivers wrap up.