2023 NHL Playoffs

tomh009

Oh no, dreaded OT time.  This could be bad.

I saw an interesting interview after game 4 with Cooper who said the 2nd year they won they were 0-4 in OT.   He also said their 1st year he didn't remember the exact #'s but he knew they'd won 1 but they weren't much better.  

The commentator just said TB has 1 win in last 10 playoff OT's.

It will be at least a couple of weeks before I can listen to TSN ... $#%&^*()_*&^%&$#%$^%&*()_*&^%

Well, you don't see that very often.  Great save by Korpisalo on the Oils open netter attempt.  He was 3/4 of the way off when the Oils got the puck and made a long shot at the net.   He madly skated back and then made a diving stick save attempt.  He just barely managed to touch the puck but it was enough to prevent it from going in the net.  

Oils win, right on!!  

10 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Well, you don't see that very often.  Great save by Korpisalo on the Oils open netter attempt.  He was 3/4 of the way off when the Oils got the puck and made a long shot at the net.   He madly skated back and then made a diving stick save attempt.  He just barely managed to touch the puck but it was enough to prevent it from going in the net.  

Oils win, right on!!  

Good to see the Oilers win. The Oilers power play was 9-17 in the series, you just can't take too many penalties against them.  Evan Bouchard has become a tremendous point man on the PP. 

I wouldnt totally hate Florida upsetting the Bruins.:spamafote:

Great the Oilers move on, at least we still have 1 team to pull for. I expect they are favoured vs Vegas?

1 hour ago, DON said:

I wouldnt totally hate Florida upsetting the Bruins.:spamafote:

Great the Oilers move on, at least we still have 1 team to pull for. I expect they are favoured vs Vegas?

I wouldn't totally hate it either as watching Jack Edwards would be fun however I would much rather lock in the #17 pick and have a team that has a much better chance of beating the Leafs.  Go Bruins but I think Florida wins today. 

I want Boston to win because of the draft pick. 

At this point I think Florida would give Toronto a harder time. 

Plus the mere thought of Toronto being able to slay another one of their nemesis’ might make them invincible, like the ‘04 Red Sox after they came back from being down 0-3 to the Yankees. 

32 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

I want Boston to win because of the draft pick. 

At this point I think Florida would give Toronto a harder time. 

Plus the mere thought of Toronto being able to slay another one of their nemesis’ might make them invincible, like the ‘04 Red Sox after they came back from being down 0-3 to the Yankees. 

I hadn't thought about that angle. It's a good point - the Bruins are a very high-reward/high-risk combination in terms of defeating the Leafs.

Unfortunately, I tend to see Toronto as now THE favourite. They are vastly more battle-tested and battle-scarred than any team other than the Bruins in the East. (The west has Colorado and VGK as seasoned playoff warriors). They are loaded with talent and have added that vital element of push-back to their game. Now that they've exercised the demon of Round One I would expect their confidence to be sky-high. 

Boston has been so erratic that I can no longer feel confident they'll dispatch TO. So I don't care who they play - but whoever it is, they have to find the wherewithal to beat these pukes.

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Ullmark looks REALLY shaky for Boston and I don’t have any confidence in him. 

You called that 1 for sure.  [edit] They're not even playing Ullmark.  Swayman [/edit] totally should have stopped that fairly weak back hand shot through his legs on Florida's 1st goal.  They are only down by 1 goal but I feel like Bos will lose.   

I absolutely agree with whoever previously made the adversity comment.  Teams that seemingly have it easy often fall apart when they finally do encounter adversity.  

Wow, the Panthers tie it up with under 59.3 mins left in the 3rd.

The fans in Boston are stunned and are all standing.

I figured there would be more goals in the 3rd because this series has set a record for 3rd period goals:

image.png

So far in this years playoffs the away teams are 10-3 in OT.

That was a nice move on the break away Tkachuk had.  The long breakout pass was on his backhand and he was skillfully able to accept the pass and get control of the puck.  He made that look easy.  

Verheaghe gets it done.  It sorta sucks because the Habs draft pick just got worse, but I am glad the Booins are out.  Its nice to see all the sad Booins fans faces.  They all looked bummed when it was 2-0 Florida but they're in complete shock now.  

I'm sure that Verhaeghe is definitely looking forward to the chance of knocking out his ex-team next.  

6 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

It sorta sucks because the Habs draft pick just got worse

Not yet it didn’t. Florida will need to make the conference finals for their draft position to change.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, huzer said:

Not yet it didn’t. Florida will need to make the conference finals for their draft position to change.

Correct.  That's what makes the next series such a conflict for me.  Heaven forbid the Leafs win the cup but I would much rather draft 17th than 30th. 

The only time in my life I cheer for the Bruins and they screw me over. 

8 minutes ago, huzer said:

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure their draft pick did change by winning the series and Boston's pick just got better by losing. 

Doesn't it work something like this:

Boston is the best team out of the 8 teams that failed to make round 2, so I believe their pick dropped to 24th. i.e. 16+8 = 24.   I believe Florida has the worst record of any team to make the 2nd rnd so their pic would be at least 25th if they lose to the Leafs.  

I'm quite certain that Boston's pick just moved from 32nd, so therefore so would have Florida's.

6 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure their draft pick did change by winning the series and Boston's pick just got better by losing. 

Doesn't it work something like this:

Boston is the best team out of the 8 teams that failed to make round 2, so I believe their pick dropped to 24th. i.e. 16+8 = 24.   I believe Florida has the worst record of any team to make the 2nd rnd so their pic would be at least 25th if they lose to the Leafs.  

I'm quite certain that Boston's pick just moved from 32nd, so therefore so would have Florida's.

You are right that Boston moves from 32nd by losing but Florida will still be at 17 unless they beat the Leafs. Then they move to 29-32 if they beat the Leafs. 

"Teams that lose in the first two rounds of the playoffs (17–28) are ranked by reverse order of regular season standings, except that a team that won their division picks later in the round than a team that lost their division, even if the latter had the better record. So the earliest a regular-season division winner can pick is #25.

Teams that lost in the Conference Championships (29–30) are seeded by reverse order of regular-season points."

21 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Correct.  That's what makes the next series such a conflict for me.  Heaven forbid the Leafs win the cup but I would much rather draft 17th than 30th

The only time in my life I cheer for the Bruins and they screw me over. 

Florida cannot draft 30th because they were the worst team in the 1st rnd, and every consecutive round thereafter.  i.e. their pick would be 29th if they lose in the 3rd rnd.  ex: 17th pic, + 8 = 25, + 4 = 29th.  

3 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Florida cannot draft 30th because they were the worst team in the 1st rnd, and every consecutive round thereafter.  i.e. they're pick would be 29th if they lose in the 3rd rnd.  ex: 17th pic, + 8 = 25, + 4 = 29th.  

You are right, if Florida wins the next round they will draft 29,31 or 32.