Cole Caufield contract

Great job by Kent.

Kudos to CC for not just chasing the money.

Interesting that they were able to get something done using Suzuki's cap hit as the ceiling.  That could come into play if they were to show interest in a certain Winnipeg centre who happens to have the same agent as Caufield.

Love this deal. Caufield could have played hardball and could have tried to get the same bridge deal  structure like DeBrincat, or the 4 yr deal that Robertson signed in Dallas.

Having two of our top players signed for under $8m for 8 years I’d huge with thr cap going up. On the flip side teams like the Leafs are going to probably go $13M + for Matthews and Nylander will probably be looking for $8-$9m.

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Interesting that they were able to get something done using Suzuki's cap hit as the ceiling.  That could come into play if they were to show interest in a certain Winnipeg centre who happens to have the same agent as Caufield.

It will be interesting how the "ceiling" holds up if an UFA is on the other side of the negotiation.

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

It will be interesting how the "ceiling" holds up if an UFA is on the other side of the negotiation.

Trying to sign a McDavid or (more realistically) a Nylander--or any UFA in the future for that matter--would be a different kettle of fish as you'd be looking at a far more experienced and proven player.

40 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Trying to sign a McDavid or (more realistically) a Nylander--or any UFA in the future for that matter--would be a different kettle of fish as you'd be looking at a far more experienced and proven player.

Yeah, it makes little sense to say that Suzuki must eternally have the biggest contract on the team. That’s predicated on him being the best all-around player, but if we sign a big fish UFA then that UFA will presumably become the best player. Also Suzuki’s contract, like CC’s, will become a better bargain as it ages and the cap goes up. Deals signed two years from now, in an expanding cap world, will be hard to contain at that level.

PLD is a tricky case. Is he better than Suzuki? Tough call. Most GMs would probably say ‘yes’ but then again I doubt many of them would trade Slick Nick for him straight up. 

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I'm quite certain that I was the 1st person on this forum to opine using Suzuki's salary as a ceiling.  I was told by most people that I was dumb for suggesting such a concept.

I have no clue why people seem to assume that Dubois will demand the most amount of $ that he has ever asked for from the team he has always wanted to play for.  Dubois has always been reasonable with his contract asks.  He could easily be getting 1-2 mil more than the 6 mil he asked for.

30 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I have no clue why people seem to assume that Dubois will demand the most amount of $ that he has ever asked for from the team he has always wanted to play for.  Dubois has always been reasonable with his contract asks.  He could easily be getting 1-2 mil more than the 6 mil he asked for.

That's because he opted not to file for arbitration last summer in the hopes of trying to extend his trade window.  It was a gamble that failed, not him opting to take below market value.  He might have to try it again this summer too if things don't go his way early on.

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's because he opted not to file for arbitration last summer in the hopes of trying to extend his trade window.  It was a gamble that failed, not him opting to take below market value.  He might have to try it again this summer too if things don't go his way early on.

He can file for arbitration this year though and get awarded a one year deal.  Last year the Jets could have filed for a two-year contract if he went to Arbitration.  This year an Arb award would have to be a one year deal as he's only one year from UFA.

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That comment also includes his time with CBJ as well though.  He has always been reasonable with his salary.  That's why I don't get why a ton of people suggest that he'll ask for the moon to play for his favourite team.  I see that line of commenting not just here but basically everywhere.  

• tomh009 changed the title to Cole Caufield contract

PLD is getting at least $8 mil, I suspect. And for all that he wants to play for the Habs I doubt he is accepting a bargain-basement deal. Sentiment tends to disintegrate once you get down to brass tacks.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

PLD is getting at least $8 mil, I suspect. And for all that he wants to play for the Habs I doubt he is accepting a bargain-basement deal. Sentiment tends to disintegrate once you get down to brass tacks.

PLD is also only 1 year from free agency, not four like Suzuki and Caufield when they signed.

31 minutes ago, DON said:

Lots of worry about his size.

When for injuries; i think Anderson (why i would trade him), Guhle, Slafkovski, are the ones i would worry about moreso.

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/06/writers-weigh-in-discussing-caufields-extension/

This raises a good question. Is it in fact true that small players are more likely to face serious injuries than big ones in the NHL? The answer may seem intuitively obvious, but I don’t recall MSL or even David Desharnais being especially injury-prone. It’s possible that for small player to become a NHL regular in the first place, they will have developed skills in avoiding taking too much punishment. Do we have any numbers on this? 

43 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This raises a good question. Is it in fact true that small players are more likely to face serious injuries than big ones in the NHL? The answer may seem intuitively obvious, but I don’t recall MSL or even David Desharnais being especially injury-prone. It’s possible that for small player to become a NHL regular in the first place, they will have developed skills in avoiding taking too much punishment. Do we have any numbers on this? 

Yamamoto in EDM is a small player that has been injured more often than not and that I think about when looking for comparables.

Deharnais was not that elite as compared to Caufield, and he faded quickly. He needed Patches on his wing to put up points.

MSL was an exceptional player that took a long time to establish himself.

57 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I saw a study a few years ago.  The exceptionally big players get hurt the most, followed by the small, then the average size.

59 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Anderson’s is a big guy, and usually is hurt every year. 
Stamkos had a lot more injuries than MSL.

15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Yamamoto in EDM is a small player that has been injured more often than not and that I think about when looking for comparables.

Deharnais was not that elite as compared to Caufield, and he faded quickly. He needed Patches on his wing to put up points.

MSL was an exceptional player that took a long time to establish himself.

Neely was a big guy and took a long time to establish himself, and than had his career cut short by injuries.

5 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Neely was a big guy and took a long time to establish himself, and than had his career cut short by injuries.

Neely was not injury-prone ... he was a CHEAP-SHOT victim.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don't remember anything particularly good to remember about Neely, I guess you are right

Stamkos is a good example. I still remember Pierre Turgeon when I think of skilled players getting injured, he was not small by any means but that hit from Dale: ouch! :wacko: