2023 draft, Pick 5: David Reinbacher

tomh009

23 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Wouldn't Michkov have been the true "swing for the fences" pick? He's the guy that many scouts seem to see as a potential superstar. 

Reinbacher is the bigger swing.

If you take michkov and he doesn't work out, its what everyone wanted.

If reinbacher fails it defines Hughes/Gorton in many ways.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Vegas had stone who was injured and came back from the playoffs, Eichal, who had his coming out party during his he playoffs, along with a the Conn smythe winner. They had three guys who scored 20+ goals, but have three guys who are legit 30+ goal scorers if healthy and 4 others that are good bets for 20+ goals. Lots of skill and depth. Eichel will probably be a 85-100 pt guy next year. We don’t have that type of player.

Caufield

Suzuki

Dach

Slafkofsky

Newhook

Every one of them “might” have 85-100 points in them. It’s too early to tell. 

I have to imagine that a full season with a competent winger on the Suzuki, Caufield line might push them into the 85 point range. Especially if our PP starts to score. 

Our goal totals will rise over time as well because our back end are going to be very mobile, puck moving group. 

23 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Vegas had stone who was injured and came back from the playoffs, Eichal, who had his coming out party during his he playoffs, along with a the Conn smythe winner. They had three guys who scored 20+ goals, but have three guys who are legit 30+ goal scorers if healthy and 4 others that are good bets for 20+ goals. Lots of skill and depth. Eichel will probably be a 85-100 pt guy next year. We don’t have that type of player.

Might, might, might. They didn't this year. 

• Upvote 1

Button on SC With Jay Onrait talking Reinbacher: "I see him as a really good, solid, 2nd pair d-man... I see him a lot like Adam Larsson...He's (Larsson) been a solid NHL player during his NHL career, I think David Reinbacher can be exactly the same type of player"
I don’t think this is the right take. Played against him all year in the @NLch_official. Already shows poise, hands, and skating ability greater than Larsson is now. Superior skater who can take shifts over and is playing against men already.

I saw this on another board. I like the part about being a superior skater from a guy that actually played against him the last 2 years. When you play against a guy I think you have a pretty good idea of their strengths and weaknesses. 
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Vegas (…) three guys who scored 20+ goals, but have three guys who are legit 30+ goal scorers if healthy and 4 others that are good bets for 20+ goals. Lots of skill and depth. Eichel will probably be a 85-100 pt guy next year. We don’t have that type of player.

I see absolutely no reason why we couldn’t have three-plus 30-goal scorers from among our young forwards (Caufield, Suzuki, Dach, Slafkovsky) when the team does well—and the D corps gives them the opportunity.

20 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I see absolutely no reason why we couldn’t have three-plus 30-goal scorers from among our young forwards (Caufield, Suzuki, Dach, Slafkovsky) when the team does well—and the D corps gives them the opportunity.

I think Caufield and Suzuki can (hoping Caufield hits 50), Dach and Slafkovsky too early to tell.

I don’t think we’ve got anyone he can hit 100 points though. I think Eichal should easily get 85+ points and has potential to be a 100+ points guy.

1 minute ago, TurdBurglar said:

Read a rumour that Nashville offered the 15th, 24th and Askarov for the 5th.  If this rumour it true, let’s hope Reinbacher is the real deal.

When I 1st heard that rumour I wasn't aware that Nash also allegedly offered the 24th with that.  The Habs could have got the 2nd best RHD and a top goalie prospect from a previous draft year, and a 3rd player.   I wasn't sure if I would have done it for Askarov and the 15th, but with the 24th included I likely would have.   However, Reinbacher is the real deal though.  

Somehow, the Habs were able to figure out that Nash wanted the 5th pick to take Reinbacher, and apparently so did several of the other 6 teams that made them trade offers for that pick.  

21 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think Caufield and Suzuki can (hoping Caufield hits 50), Dach and Slafkovsky too early to tell.

I don’t think we’ve got anyone he can hit 100 points though. I think Eichal should easily get 85+ points and has potential to be a 100+ points guy.

I believe Hutson could possibly hit 100 pts.  IMO that is why Hughes made the comment about Reinbacher being a #2 dman.  i.e. Hughes was saying that he will be *their* #2 dman vs just a #2 dman.  Reinbacher would be the #1 dman on most other teams.

8 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I believe Hutson could possibly hit 100 pts.  IMO that is why Hughes made the comment about Reinbacher being a #2 dman.  i.e. Hughes was saying that he will be *their* #2 dman vs just a #2 dman.  Reinbacher would be the #1 dman on most other teams.

I think you may be reading more into that comment than you realize.  Reinbacher is RHD and Hutson is LHD, like Guhle.  The only was Hutson is on the 1st pair is if he develops much better than Guhle or Reinbacher develops into a 1st pair stud shutdown guy.  

56 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

The only was Hutson is on the 1st pair is if he develops much better than Guhle or Reinbacher develops into a 1st pair stud shutdown guy.  

The Habs have a bloody impressive pipeline of D prospects right now, which might end up with three or four first-pairing level D-men. If that’s the case, the distinction between first and second pairs might not be much at all.

in terms of stylistic fit, Reinbacher could really complement Hutson nicely, whichever pair that would be.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Vegas had stone who was injured and came back from the playoffs ...

This post made me curious so I looked up Stone ... I was surprised to find that since he became a full-time NHLer, Stone has averaged only 62 games and 21 goals.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, huzer said:

Man, Hughes has been pretty tight lipped overall. That creates a problem that when he DOES speak to the media, every nuance, every syllable, everything is interpreted and reinterpreted a million times. 

That is entirely the basis for why I said I think some people are misinterpreting his #2 dman comment.

Crazy, apparently Reinbacher has received thousands of hate message from angry Habs fans.  What the hell, what is wrong with people?  If a fan is that pissed off it is not the players fault that a team picked them.  People should send their hate mail to Hughes.  

TVA Sports journalist Anthony Martineau ran into MB at the airport in Nash and asked him if he was still the Habs GM would he have drafted Reinbacher and he answered:  "moi, je ne parle pas"

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

The Habs have a bloody impressive pipeline of D prospects right now, which might end up with three or four first-pairing level D-men. If that’s the case, the distinction between first and second pairs might not be much at all.

in terms of stylistic fit, Reinbacher could really complement Hutson nicely, whichever pair that would be.

I agree with the extremely healthy pipeline of D.  I would just caution thinking they have 3-4 first pairing guys.  I think realistically we all should be thinking they have 6-7 NHL caliber defencemen, of which 3-4 potential top-4 and hope at least 1 develops into a true first pairing guy. 

I have a feeling that a couple of the defencemen that played last season won't be with the team in October.  Edmundson aside, I think one or more of the rookies may be traded for a winger or RD or possibly a goalie.

6 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I have a feeling that a couple of the defencemen that played last season won't be with the team in October.  Edmundson aside, I think one or more of the rookies may be traded for a winger or RD or possibly a goalie.

At the moment we have a bit of a glut of wingers, but if they manage to move Hoffman, for example maybe that could change. Otherwise, I suspect that kind of trade might not happen until next summer.

As for goalies, after three picks in the draft, it sure looks like Plan A is to develop one of the prospects. I don't foresee a short-term move for a goalie given that they have Allen holding down the fort at the moment and we have yet to see what Dobes can do in Laval.

• tomh009 changed the title to 2023 draft, Pick 5: David Reinbacher
11 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I agree with the extremely healthy pipeline of D.  I would just caution thinking they have 3-4 first pairing guys

100% agree.

15 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I believe Hutson could possibly hit 100 pts. 

Your joking I assume?

7 hours ago, tomh009 said:

As for goalies, after three picks in the draft, it sure looks like Plan A is to develop one of the prospects. I don't foresee a short-term move for a goalie given that they have Allen holding down the fort at the moment and we have yet to see what Dobes can do in Laval.

I hope they revisit acquiring Askarov.  I know it's a long shot, but Anderson, Dvorak, Hoffman and young D are things Nashville need.  I'm not saying they have any interest in any of those roster players except Anderson.

The biggest question mark in the prospect pool, as any prospect pool, is goaltending.  Would be nice to have another swing at a highly touted goalie prospect. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I hope they revisit acquiring Askarov.  I know it's a long shot, but Anderson, Dvorak, Hoffman and young D are things Nashville need.  I'm not saying they have any interest in any of those roster players except Anderson.

The biggest question mark in the prospect pool, as any prospect pool, is goaltending.  Would be nice to have another swing at a highly touted goalie prospect. 

I once said it may take ~20 years to replace Price, when people were complaining about having Price. 

Time is-a-ticking. 🙂

After some original disappointment with the Reinbacher selection, I really like the kid. 

our D core has potential to be among the best in the entire league if Guhle, Hutson, and Reinbacher reach their ful potential, and our Barron, Mailloux, Xhekaj and Harris type yield another top 4 guy and excellent bottom pair guys. 

I do worry that we still need to add a top tier forward, but hopefully we address that in another way

Old Leaf fan next door yelling at me this morning..."You already had 4 rookie d-men and they go and draft another...and we just signed Domi... hahaha!" .

Kinda guessing that is general opinion of Leaf fanbase at the pick.

29 minutes ago, DON said:

Old Leaf fan next door yelling at me this morning..."You already had 4 rookie d-men and they go and draft another...and we just signed Domi... hahaha!" .

Kinda guessing that is general opinion of Leaf fanbase at the pick.

No surprise that they don't understand there are two sides to the defence corps.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The leafs took a guy who every site projected in the late second at best (and most had as a third rounder) with their first round pick.  Let them talk.

For what it's worth I heard on some podcast before the draft that he was someone they thought he had the 'steal of the draft' potential. Can't remember if the person saying it was someone whose opinion matters but yah.

I'm also fine with the Reinbacher pick though 😛

4 hours ago, Plutarch said:

[...]

I'm also fine with the Reinbacher pick though 😛

me too, I am happy... but you have the doubters out there:

Boo No GIF by Denyse - Find & Share on GIPHY