Edmundson Traded to Washington

dlbalr

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Habs retaining 50% on Edmundson's contract as well.

2 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

With them retaining 50% I expected a better return. 

Just now, dlbalr said:

Considering the last few cap-dump trades that have been made, at least there is a return.

My reaction was the same as Helmethead, but you make an excellent point ... only issue will be if they need more than two retention slots at the deadline.

1 minute ago, Peter Puck said:

Too much chance of an injury, given his back problems.  Also sending him out now frees space for the young guys.

Agreed, I really liked Edmundson, great team guy, always stuck up for his teammates but there is a log jam at LD. Also frees up a little more cap space.  The kids will play more. Almost guarantees a spot for Arber as they will really need his physical presence. 

Loved Edmundson, but obviously his time with us was done. The only quibble might be that if he’d stuck around and been healthy, we might have gotten a much bigger return at the deadline. If, if, if. We are clearly at a stage where our young D need some breathing room and this deal provides it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

My reaction was the same as Helmethead, but you make an excellent point ... only issue will be if they need more than two retention slots at the deadline.

At the moment, there are four veterans on expiring contracts - Hoffman, Monahan, Pitlick, and Wideman.  Safe to say the first two could need one, probably not the other two.

As expected, this is merely a move to allow the youngsters to stay up and keep developing over the possibility of opening up a spot to add someone else.  (It also makes it a bit easier to try to avoid LTIR for Price - this move alone doesn't make it happen but there's a path to doing so now.)

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

(It also makes it a bit easier to try to avoid LTIR for Price - this move alone doesn't make it happen but there's a path to doing so now.)

It will be interesting to see if they take the non-LTIR approach ... and if so, how they get there ... moving Hoffman or Dvorack might do the trick ... it **might** avoid, or at least reduce, bonus carryover to 24/25 ... CapFriendly indicates a potential $4.2M in performance bonuses.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

It will be interesting to see if they take the non-LTIR approach ... and if so, how they get there ... moving Hoffman or Dvorack might do the trick ... it **might** avoid, or at least reduce, bonus carryover to 24/25 ... CapFriendly indicates a potential $4.2M in performance bonuses.

More than half of that is Slafkovsky's 'B' bonuses which is next to impossible to reach.

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

More than half of that is Slafkovsky's 'B' bonuses which is next to impossible to reach.

👍

I am happy with this trade, HighGort has done well this summer.

I can go back to summer mode and be hopeful for the start of training camp.

I expect the Habs to do well next season; the young core has lots of room to progress and compete. Let’s hope the goalies are healthy all season 

A pure cap dump without giving up a sweetener and getting a return.  I think we all expected there to be salary retention, even if he was traded last year.  Better than a buyout, cap hit is only there for this season.  Win/win.

Let’s hope if there are any more trades that they keep one retention slot open for Monahan at the deadline.  With a cheap contract and the ability it retain on it, he could fit on any contending team for nearly no cap hit.  An injury free season should fetch a nice return.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

As expected, this is merely a move to allow the youngsters to stay up and keep developing over the possibility of opening up a spot to add someone else.  (It also makes it a bit easier to try to avoid LTIR for Price - this move alone doesn't make it happen but there's a path to doing so now.)

What difference does it make if Price is not placed on ltir?

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

What are the advantages of not putting Price on LTIR?  My apologies if it has been discussed before.   Thanks 

Thanks for the service, Joel. An intergral presence during our 22 game cup run, just a couple of seasons after his 22 game cup run with St. Louis.

My first reaction had less to do with how this affects the Habs but more-so that Washington’s been making some nice decisions as of late. 

Best of luck to you!