Hoffman gone, Petry and Casey DeSmith and picks in.

Meller93

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Still have 14 "NHL" forwards (including Slaf, RHP, Pezetta and Ylonen ... so, one of those (IMO Pezetta or Ylonen) goes to Laval to get to 13 forwards ... I expect Heineman starts season in Laval unless he cracks the Top 9 (hopefully he is more than a 4th liner).

Moving Hoffman and Pitlick ... good (even if Pitlick was realistically always Laval bound)

Added seconder rounder ... good

Allen on market ... good (although DeSmith may be easier to move at slightly less than half the AAV)

Veteran RHD to trade or stabilize D to start the season ... good

Pissing off Mrs. Petry ... good

Joey like

Yes still too many forwards but moving one in Hoffman helps.  It doesnt solve it, but you never were gonna solve it in one move.

Im sure they are trying on Armia too but that is also a tough trade.

Dvorak when healthy probably has a market but isnt healthy now.

Gallagher i dont see a market.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Petry and Allan will both be traded before the season starts to get us under the cap. Unless by some miracle we find someone to take on Armia's or Dvorak's contract.

Dvorak's contract is tradeable when hes healthy.  We aren't getting back what we gave up for him but his contract is not a boat anchor for a 3rd line C.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

This is the second time this week the Habs have done something within a couple of hours me posting a filler article on the main site.  Sadly, my first reaction to the trade was thinking 'not again!'. 

This one came out of nowhere, and has a lot of pieces, so yeah was complicated.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I believe many/most have to be submitted by a certain date (usually July 1s)... so maybve he didn't update it ... or maybe they HATED it in Pittsburgh ... but most likely I expect HuGo have promised Petry he will be dealt.

It’s possible it was a “grass isn’t always greener,” situation which is what I believe you are pointing out.  He and his family may of regretted the decision to move away from Montreal.

21 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

It’s possible it was a “grass isn’t always greener,” situation which is what I believe you are pointing out.  He and his family may of regretted the decision to move away from Montreal.

I think their issues in Montreal were

1) Julie didn't like that there were more Covid restrictions than in the US, and this was preventing her family from visiting.

2) Jeff and DD didnt see eye to eye.

Both of those issues are gone. 

I still haven't stopped laughing at this.  I was confused when I 1st saw the news that the Habs and Pens made a trade involving Petry because I assumed the info was regarding last years trade.  

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Im sure they are trying on Armia too but that is also a tough trade.

Dvorak when healthy probably has a market but isnt healthy now.

Gallagher i dont see a market.

I wouldn't necessarily dump Armia unless they can replace his size.  I've definitely seen rumours of Armia to the Caps for Mantha - and he would check the size box; so I'd do that trade for sure.  Plus, Mantha has 1 year left and Armia has 2 so it would free up that cap space 1 year quicker.  

Isn't Dvorak healthy though?  I read somewhere that he has rehabbed his injury or was way ahead of schedule and that he should be back to start the season.  

They shouldn't really trade Gally anyway.  He's a grin and bear it type scenario.  i.e. he bleeds blu, blanc and rogue so it would look bad to trade him.   Besides, Gally is also 1 of the oldest and most experienced vets the Habs have.   He has played in more playoff games and has gone deeper than any of the other vets.   He needs to win a Cup in Montreal and should retire with the Habs.  

From the comments on another site:

Here's what I find crazy.

In the grand scheme of it all, Montreal essentially got Pittsburgh to eat 25% of Petry's salary and Matheson for Ryan Poehling. THEN, they got a second, DeSmith, Legare, (edit) AND got to offload Hoffman. All for Pitlick.

Kent Hughes is going to jail because he just robbed these MFs.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

From the comments on another site:

LOL. It's certainly true that this trade has basically zero downside for the Habs. Even if Hoffman goes on a tear, who cares?

The Mattheson trade was highway robbery, but Pittsburgh got Karlsson out this deal. In the sense of getting the best player, they 'won' the trade. The complication is that Karlsson may not feel like a win in a year or two when they're carrying an 11.5-mil cap hit on a declining, injury-prone, one-dimensional D-man. I get it from Pittsburgh's POV, though; they're all in until Crosby and Malkin are done, and that's that. 🤷‍♂️ 

Knowing that franchise's luck, once they do crater, they will win the draft lottery in a year when there is an all-time-great generational player and get to do it all over again with yet another franchise superstar at the core. I would much prefer to see them age out without getting returns on their current great players, then spend years in the wilderness like the Isles suffered after watching their dynasty go to the dogs.

I agree with this take:

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... I wouldn't necessarily dump Armia unless they can replace his size ...

He rarely uses it so what would it matter?

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

He's not a heavy hitter, no, but he does use his size to win board battles and his reach to intercept pucks.

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

He's not a heavy hitter, no, but he does use his size to win board battles and his reach to intercept pucks.

Wasn't referring to hitting ... was referring to his only seeming to even give a damn occasionally, so that size is irrelevant ... if he regularly won board battles and intercepted pucks he would be a useful player and there would be much less reason to move him.

51 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

He always uses his size though.  i.e. his reach is always his reach, same goes with his strides too.  Even when he isnt putting up points he is useful defensively.  However, I agree that his physicality could be used more though - but that is still an important factor.  The Habs have numerous small players so they need to have large players so their whole team isn't small.  Armia is 1 of their largest forwards so if they move him and dont replace him with somebody of similar size the teams average height and weight will go down.  

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

He always uses his size though.  i.e. his reach is always his reach, same goes with his strides too.  Even when he isnt putting up points he is useful defensively.  However, I agree that his physicality could be used more though - but that is still an important factor.  The Habs have numerous small players so they need to have large players so their whole team isn't small.  Armia is 1 of their largest forwards so if they move him and dont replace him with somebody of similar size the teams average height and weight will go down.  

Useless most of the time is still useless, regardless of size.

• Upvote 1

Armia was ok until his various illnesses seemed to derail him. Hard to get a read on him fully the past couple of years since he was in and out so frequently. If we could have the Armia of his second season with us, that would be something. 

Anyway, the trade. I am curious about when/if Petry will be flipped. People here were plenty fed up with the quality of his play leading up to his ultimate departure. I guess there's a difference between Hoffman taking a spot for a young forward, and Petry taking a spot from a young defenseman? I"m assuming the lack of fervor surrounding Petry's return is that the expectation is an impending departure. If it sounds like I'm not impressed with the trade, that's not the case at all. I figured Pitlick was going to be waived and I have no issues with Hoffman being traded.  Happy with a 2nd round pick, and no retention on Hoffman. DeSmith I'm neither here and there, but it would seem kind of bad juju to move Allen before he even plays a game into his new contract.

I will say, full red eye Petry is still quite the haunting sight!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Useless most of the time is still useless, regardless of size.

A non scoring Hoffman was essentially useless, but a non point producing Armia is not.  He does other things, and most of those are related to his size and primarily his height.

2 minutes ago, huzer said:

Armia was ok until his various illnesses seemed to derail him. Hard to get a read on him fully the past couple of years since he was in and out so frequently. If we could have the Armia of his second season with us, that would be something. 

Anyway, the trade. I am curious about when/if Petry will be flipped. People here were plenty fed up with the quality of his play leading up to his ultimate departure. I guess there's a difference between Hoffman taking a spot for a young forward, and Petry taking a spot from a young defenseman? I"m assuming the lack of fervor surrounding Petry's return is that the expectation is an impending departure. If it sounds like I'm not impressed with the trade, that's not the case at all. I figured Pitlick was going to be waived and I have no issues with Hoffman being traded.  Happy with a 2nd round pick, and no retention on Hoffman. DeSmith I'm neither here and there, but it would seem kind of bad juju to move Allen before he even plays a game into his new contract.

I agree.  Every time Armia gets out of a slump and starts doing something and gets hot he gets injured.  I was hoping some Marty magic could rub off on him and maybe that can still happen.    

I'm not convinced that Petry will be flipped or that he'll take a roster spot from a rookie dman either.  Other teams might have asked about Savard and now that the Habs have another RHD Hughes can say yes to moving him instead.  

Like another poster said, took me a while to digest. 

Pittsburgh had an aging core and they had to go hard or rebuild. They went hard to win it now and don't blame them for going after Karlsson. 

I like Montreal opened up a little room up front and a 2nd round pick is very useful.  The cap room for Hoffman and Petry (Penguins retain 25%) is a wash but Petry has 1 more year. Perhaps a deadline deal if he regains his form this year or next. 

So I guess it's basically a 2nd round pick for an extra year of Petry's contract. I am ok with it, could be a big win if Petry can regain his form and he likes playing for Marty. 

49 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Other teams might have asked about Savard and now that the Habs have another RHD Hughes can say yes to moving him instead.  

Good point, Savard had a solid season last year, has a reasonable cap hit, younger than Petry and I think is well respected around the league. I think he is pretty marketable.  Perhaps easier to trade than Petry. 

I love this deal, especially considering that we'll probably get some more assets by flipping Petry down the road at a lower cap hit. Glad that Hoffman is gone and we can forget he was ever on the team (and was a replacement for a beaut in Danault). This means more stability on D and another spot up front for a prospect. A 2nd rounder is nothing to sneeze at either, and maybe even Desmith will provide some value.