Habs Pre-season 2023-2024

alfredoh2009

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I never brought up Hoffman, Gallagher, Armia or Dvorak, that was never my point. I never mentioned those guys. 

Who would you rather have Bennett or Dach?  Bennett or Caulfield?  Bennett's career year was 49 points. My point was simply that the Habs missed a lot of important players last year that were not slugs and you made a bunch of inferences from that post. The Habs were not going to make the playoffs last year even with those guys healthy.  But they were important pieces.  If you think the guys I highlighted were slugs then we will just have to agree to disagree and move forward. Cheers

The point is that Caufield and Dach were the only ones that matter for thr FUTURE, but it wasn’t going to make a difference in how we did. The rest of the guys may add to our large number of man games lost, but whether they were there or not we would have sucked - and I think we were probably better with them out. Either way we were bad and would have sucked. Florida was missing guys that almost caused them to miss the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I hate to break it to you but it was actually worse - 2022 1st and 2024 2nd.  Montreal received a 1st and a 3rd for Kotkaniemi.

Thanks for the correction. Yeah. Just a horrible trade - which I opposed at the time. Would have preferred to just to take the picks.  It’s funny how MN always said you can’t trade for young centres. He finally picked up a good one in his last coupe of years - even though he wanted Glass not Suzuki.

on the fip side HuGo brought in a uoung centre in each of their first two years on the job! And Dach looks like he is going to be a lot better than I had thought or hoped he would be!

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

While that is technically true, it should be fully realized that if the Habs had kept that 1st rnd pick MB and Timmins would have wasted it. 

I find it funny that people complain about the 1st rnd pick because its really a moot point.  If the Habs had used it there is a high probability that the player would have amounted to nothing anyway - as per their usual tradition.

It is unarguable that their history with 1st rnd picks was atrocious. 

I don’t think a good excuse for a bad trade is that you can’t draft and develop, so lots throw away draft picks😳

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The point is that Caufield and Dach were the only ones that matter for thr FUTURE, but it wasn’t going to make a difference in how we did. The rest of the guys may add to our large number of man games lost, but whether they were there or not we would have sucked - and I think we were probably better with them out. Either way we were bad and would have sucked. Florida was missing guys that almost caused them to miss the playoffs. 

Disagree totally...

Matheson played only half a season as well!

Guhle is looking to be an absolute stud... he played half a season!

Monahan even less then half a season

Only to name a few on top of Dach and Caufield injuries.

Just those injuries alone played a huge role in the season and nobody can really state otherwise

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Most of the Habs' first-round picks during the Bergevin era were in the 20s, where the percentages are far less favourable.

But they did make some decent picks: Sergachev (9th), Caufield (15th) and Guhle (16th) were certainly solid picks. Trading Sergachev turned out to be a huge mistake but that doesn't make it a poor draft pick.

Galchenyuk (3rd) should have been good but he went off the rails. Kotkaniemi (3rd) was a reach already on draft day. Juulsen (26th) might have been good but we'll never know. And Mailloux (31st) was controversial but might yet be a solid pick, too.

But, really, this horse is deader than most dead horses I've seen in my lifetime.

Galchenyuk lost a lot of his junior career to injuries - they should have let him finish of his career in junior and brought him up more slowly Ditto with KK - although he should never have been picked ahead of Highes and Tkachuk.

the only thing that worries me of HuGo is rushing Slafkovsky and playing an injured Guhle too much.

Just now, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Disagree totally...

Just those injuries alone played a huge role in the season and nobody can really state otherwise

So we would have been a playoff team or even a bubble team if they were both healthy? Dream on!

Watched the last half of the game, very entertaining.  Caulfield is the real deal, looked dangerous every time he touched the puck late in the game. Mailloux has future point guy on the powerplay written all over him. I wasn't expecting much from Norlinder so I was pleasantly surprised. Heineman can really shoot the puck. Dach looked really good, hopefully he stays healthy, he can be a real stud. I didn't notice Slaf much. A lot to like in that game and of course beating Toronto never gets old. 

2 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I think IF we can remain relatively healthy... we are good for +43 wins maybe even +45...

Only 14 teams in the league won 43 or more games last season ... so the Habs are going to jump from tied for 27th in wins to Top 14 ... seems a tad optimistic.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I don't see them waiving Ylonen (who would most likely be claimed) when they can paper Gallagher to Laval. No one will claim him--or if someone does, we can celebrate--and the cap savings is $375K more than for Ylonen. Similarly, they could paper Armia instead of Pezzetta. Primeau, they may well be willing to take that risk.

They can't paper Gallagher, unfortunately as he has a no-move clause.  (Though they could ask him to waive it.)

Tonight's postgame: https://www.habsworld.net/2023/10/ten-thoughts-third-times-the-charm-against-toronto/

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Only 14 teams in the league won 43 or more games last season ... so the Habs are going to jump from tied for 27th in wins to Top 14 ... seems a tad optimistic.

+2  games over .500 hockey

Again... I said IF we remain relatively healthy

43 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They can't paper Gallagher, unfortunately as he has a no-move clause.  (Though they could ask him to waive it.)

Tonight's postgame: https://www.habsworld.net/2023/10/ten-thoughts-third-times-the-charm-against-toronto/

Great summary. I noticed Norlinder too

47 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I keep forgetting that! Savard, Pearson and Armia can be papered, though.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I still can't believe Gallagher has a no-move clause. I understand the salary number...I can even understand - although queasily - the ridiculous term. But a NMC for Brendan frigging Gallagher, on top of an overpay and too much term? Absolutely appalling contract management by Marky Marc and his F**Ked Up Bunch.

5 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

While that is technically true, it should be fully realized that if the Habs had kept that 1st rnd pick MB and Timmins would have wasted it. 

I find it funny that people complain about the 1st rnd pick because its really a moot point.  If the Habs had used it there is a high probability that the player would have amounted to nothing anyway - as per their usual tradition.

It is unarguable that their history with 1st rnd picks was atrocious. 

This is a terrible argument for 2 reasons.

1) mb wasnt gm when that pick was made.

2) 1st rounders have value.  They could have traded it for a better player.

I watched the highlights from last nights win and I like what I see from wifi.

Of course its only highlights but maybe you guys can tell me if he had a good preseason? Is it maybe better he stay away from fighting because he is more valuable to us on the ice and not in the box or injured because of fighting.

6 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Disagree totally...

I fully agree with you.

I believe they will surprise this year and finish considerably higher than most are expecting.

A lot of things need to go right but I think playoffs might be a possibility where as most think they will be bottom feeders again.   Staying healthy is a big part of it.

As is:

Suzuki - gets 80 pts

Caulfield - 50 goals

50 point seasons for:

Dach

Monahan

Slaf

Newhook

Matheson

Thats 7 guys with 50 points - that would be pretty damn good, and I don't think that is a huge stretch and completely impossible.  

Not to mention 40 point seasons for:

Anderson

Dvorak

Gally

RHP

Newhook might not hit 40, but he should be a min of 40 pts.  1  of the 40 pt guys might only get 30, but they could also have 2-4 30 pt guys.  

They should be fast and dangerous from everywhere on the ice with all their lines.  

Plus, Monty having a GAA of 2.5 or under.

Is there any way that they can play Reinbacher for 9 games before sending him back? I believe for bonus reasons Barron needs to play in the 1st game but after that I'd send him to the AHL and if possible play Reinbacher for 9 games.  Then, I'd bring up Mailloux for 9 games.  Play the crap out of Barron in the AHL and do the same with Mailloux when he is sent back down and bring him up if there is an injury.   Depending on how Mailloux progresses trade Savard at the deadline and bring him up and get Reinbacher back for the last 10 games.

3 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Of course its only highlights but maybe you guys can tell me if he had a good preseason? Is it maybe better he stay away from fighting because he is more valuable to us on the ice and not in the box or injured because of fighting.

I only watched the last two periods and I was not paying too much attention, but from what I saw he looked solid. As strong as Guhle has looked in preseason.

On the other hand, I am getting tired of seeing Savard play goalie and flop around like a seal in front of the net. He takes himself out of the play and leaves his D partner out to dry.

5 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

I think wifi is a pretty smart guy and he realizes that he doesn't need to run around looking for fights, he has a bit of a reputation and doesn't need to prove himself anymore, he can pick his spots. He is in the NHL because he worked hard at improving his game and he will continue to do that. 

11 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I continue to like the new format. 

Norlinder is one guy I had written off but he was very good last night. I’m not sure he has any room in this organization though. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I continue to like the new format. 

Norlinder is one guy I had written off but he was very good last night. I’m not sure he has any room in this organization though. 

I agree, I had him in a couple of trade proposals last season because I do not see a future for him with the Habs. But I am sure he can have at least the career Victor Mete had.

Some of our D prospects will surely be traded. Which ones end up staying and which ones being traded will depend on the value other teams assign to those prospects, relative to how our own management team values them. So, there is a chance that Norlinder, for example, will stay, and someone else will be traded for a forward or goalie prospect.

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Some of our D prospects will surely be traded. Which ones end up staying and which ones being traded will depend on the value other teams assign to those prospects, relative to how our own management team values them. So, there is a chance that Norlinder, for example, will stay, and someone else will be traded for a forward or goalie prospect.

Thats all true but with some being able to be in Laval without waivers, you want to take advantage of that and keep the best ones. 

You don't want a situation where the Leafs traded Tuukka Rask because they had Justin Pogge.  

Not every defence prospect in our system will have an NHL career, but we want to keep the ones that will.  With Norlinder, he's a bit older, and left handed (where we are deeper) so more chance of being ready to give up on him. 

• Like 1