Petry gone, Lindström in

revvvrob

Petry to Detroit for Lindstrom and Conditional 4th. Retain 50%. 

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Wow, don't know much about Lindstrom so I need to do some research but this seems pretty underwhelming when you are retaining 50%. 

Expect HuGo knew this was a possibility when they acquired him ... Petry obviously did NOT want to play in Montreal and keeping him was not an option on a young team ... sending him home to sit and wait would do nothing to improve his value.

Lindström competition for Kovacevic?  At best?

Good news is that he is a pending RFA so Habs can just walk away next summer if needed.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Good news is that he is a pending RFA so Habs can just walk away next summer if needed.

I notice Detroit didn't qualify him so he became a free agent briefly before resigning with Detroit. I just don't get this trade. I have liked every move Hughes has made so far but not this one. He used up another salary retention spot, dead cap space for 2 years for a 4th round pick???  What am I missing here?

Gustav Lindstrom Contract, Gustav Lindstrom Cap Hit, Salary and Stats | Puckpedia

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I notice Detroit didn't qualify him so he became a free agent briefly before resigning with Detroit. I just don't get this trade. I have liked every move Hughes has made so far but not this one. He used up another salary retention spot, dead cap space for 2 years for a 4th round pick???  What am I missing here?

Gustav Lindstrom Contract, Gustav Lindstrom Cap Hit, Salary and Stats | Puckpedia

I'll guess that HuGo had hoped that Petry would accept playing a few months with the Habs to rebuild his value (Pittsburgh had apparently been trying to trade him for some time with no takers) ... Jeff didn't want to play in Montreal ... HuGo decided he could have been poison on a young team if forced to do so ... NOBODY else wanted him at this point ... dreams of a BIG return for Petry were just dreams.

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

I'll guess that HuGo had hoped that Petry would accept playing a few months with the Habs to rebuild his value (Pittsburgh had apparently been trying to trade him for some time with no takers) ... Jeff didn't want to play in Montreal ... HuGo decided he could have been poison on a young team if forced to do so ... NOBODY else wanted him at this point ... dreams of a BIG return for Petry were just dreams.

It makes me think that the original trade to Pittsburgh was maybe not worth it.  We end up with a 2nd rd pick, a 4th (big deal), we did get rid of Hoffman, we give up a salary retention spot and dead cap space for 2 years of 2.34Million.

When you combine the last 2 trades, was it worth it? I am starting to think it would have been easier to keep Hoffman for 3/4 of the year and trade him for a 7th at the deadline. 

The market for Petry must have been really bad. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I dont think its much of a competition.  Lindstrom is a more competition for wideman for the 7th spot.  Savard, Barron, and Kovacevic should be comfortably ahead.

Sounds like we just dumped Petry for little.

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I dont think its much of a competition.  Lindstrom is a more competition for wideman for the 7th spot.  Savard, Barron, and Kovacevic should be comfortably ahead.

Sounds like we just dumped Petry for little.

Looks more like Management did Petry a solid and traded him to his home town. You got to respect that and I'm sure players respect it. 

16 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It makes me think that the original trade to Pittsburgh was maybe not worth it.  We end up with a 2nd rd pick, a 4th (big deal), we did get rid of Hoffman, we give up a salary retention spot and dead cap space for 2 years of 2.34Million.

When you combine the last 2 trades, was it worth it? I am starting to think it would have been easier to keep Hoffman for 3/4 of the year and trade him for a 7th at the deadline. 

The market for Petry must have been really bad. 

It’s underwhelming, but if you look at it as a 2nd for Petry and a 4th for Hoffman, it’s not bad overall (I thought Hoffman at 50% would have been tough to get a 4th for). My guess is Petry didn’t want to be back and Hughes didn’t want a cancer in a young dressing room.  Solid move for Yzerman as usual.

1 hour ago, revvvrob said:

Petry to Detroit for Lindstrom and Conditional 4th. Retain 50%. 

solid trade for the Habs. I am happy. Lindstrom has been disappointing in DET. He was looking to play in Europe. He is a good replacement for Wideman as the 7th D and is a righty, which provides some depth if any of the RDs gets injured.

He will get a chance to play in Montreal or Laval.

https://detroithockeynow.com/2023/05/14/detroit-red-wings-review-gustav-lindstrom-future/

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Market value for anything is based on supply and demand. If contending teams have injuries on defense come the trade deadline then Petry's value will most certainly go up as demand rises. You can count on that, assuming of course that Petry play half decent.  He is not washed up at age 35. 

For example a team like the Oilers are desperately in win now mode. If they had injuries then Holland will come calling. They are not the only team in that position. I don't see big demand for Petry right now but that could certainly change as the season progresses. I don't expect a trade for Petry before the season starts but Hughes may have different plans. 

I think the trade to DET makes the point on how little value Petry has, and I am guessing that it would have gotten worse if he had played in MTL this season.

What a strange trade. That's all Petry was worth? The good here I suppose is the optics that this management team will do players a solid. This could help them down the road when they're in the Ufa market. 

So end result is

Hoffman+Pitlick+ 2.3 mill cap space for 2 years

Lagare, Desmith, Lindstrom, 2nd, 4th. 

Bonus of some good karma with players?

1 minute ago, BCHabnut said:

What a strange trade. That's all Petry was worth? The good here I suppose is the optics that this management team will do players a solid. This could help them down the road when they're in the Ufa market. 

So end result is

Hoffman+Pitlick+ 2.3 mill cap space for 2 years

Lagare, Desmith, Lindstrom, 2nd, 4th. 

Bonus of some good karma with players?

I was looking at it more from the overall roster construction perspective. The Habs now have depth on RD and goaltending, got rid of most of the boat anchor contracts and will have a lineup full of young players with decent talent.

They have a shot at squeaking into the playoffs if their goaltenders are healthy and perform well. If only their powerplay could produce more consistently.

If everyone is healthy:

Monahan-Suzuki-Caufield
Newhook-Dach-Anderson
HarveyPinard-Dvorak-Gallagher
Pezzetta-Evans-Armia
Ylönen

Matheson-Barron
Guhle-Savard
Xhekaj/Harris-Kovacevic
Wideman or Lindstrom

23 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I was looking at it more from the overall roster construction perspective. The Habs now have depth on RD and goaltending, got rid of most of the boat anchor contracts and will have a lineup full of young players with decent talent.

They have a shot at squeaking into the playoffs if their goaltenders are healthy and perform well. If only their powerplay could produce more consistently.

If everyone is healthy:

Monahan-Suzuki-Caufield
Newhook-Dach-Anderson
Pezzetta-Evans-Armia
Ylönen

Matheson-Barron
Guhle-Savard
Xhekaj/Harris-Kovacevic
Wideman or Lindstrom

I think you have Barron playing too high in the lineup.  I think it's setting him up for failure to put him on the top-4 pairing in his first full year in the NHL.  Also, Harris is LHD that plays RD and LD, so it's not Harris or Kovacevic on the 3rd pairing, it'll be closer to which 2 of those 3 are better.  As for the top 4, it'll depend on the coaching staff, but I see a real chance Matheson and Savard are the top pairing and Guhle and Harris/Kovacevic are the 2nd pairing. 

As much as I harped on Harris last season, I do think overall, he's better than Kovacevic.

30 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If everyone is healthy:

Monahan-Suzuki-Caufield
Newhook-Dach-Anderson
Pezzetta-Evans-Armia
Ylönen

Matheson-Barron
Guhle-Savard
Xhekaj/Harris-Kovacevic
Wideman or Lindstrom

You think Slaf will be in Laval?

I took another look at it and this is what I came up with. 

Paying Hoffman for 1 year is similar to paying 50% of Petry for 2 money wise, kind of a wash except we give up a retention spot which could have been used on another player. 

We have DeSmith and Lindstrom for a year. Is that a positive or a negative?  Cap wise, likely a negative. Can they be traded for any kind of value, late round pick??

We get a 2nd and 4th round pick in 2025, supposed to be a better draft year than 2024 but perhaps hard to say at this point. 

I think when you combine the 2 then it's a slight positive. One thing you can say about Hughes is that he's not just sitting around.

56 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I think the trade to DET makes the point on how little value Petry has, and I am guessing that it would have gotten worse if he had played in MTL this season.

Certainly it showed how little value Petry has, agree on that.  Not sure it would have gotten worse, I guess we will see if he has a resurgence in Detroit. 

10 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I took another look at it and this is what I came up with. 

Paying Hoffman for 1 year is similar to paying 50% of Petry for 2 money wise, kind of a wash except we give up a retention spot which could have been used on another player. 

We have DeSmith and Lindstrom for a year. Is that a positive or a negative?  Cap wise, likely a negative. Can they be traded for any kind of value, late round pick??

We get a 2nd and 4th round pick in 2025, supposed to be a better draft year than 2024 but perhaps hard to say at this point. 

I think when you combine the 2 then it's a slight positive. One thing you can say about Hughes is that he's not just sitting around.

Cap wise Lindstrom and DeSmith are neglible.

Their contracts are low so either they are in the AHL and dont count. Or they make the team and another player goes to the AHL, removing their contract or 1.1 million off the books.  Either way its just Molson money and not cap space.

As predicted, HuGo made a deal sooner rather than later. What I know about Gustav Lindholm you could stick in a thimble, so I’d have to dig into it before I could claim any sense of whether this helps us. End of the day, we flipped that bum Hoffman for a 24-year-old RD. Not bad in that sense.

D'oh.  I'm not impressed with this return at all.  That is a crap return for Petry, especially when the Habs are retaining 50% of his salary.  I also dislike that Petry has been traded to a team in the Habs division.  However, I do like Hughes explanation for making the trade.  i.e. it helps the Habs and it doesn't hurt the player involved.