Tanner Pearson and 3rd to Habs, Casey DeSmith to Canucks

revvvrob

As per TSN

To Habs - Tanner Pearson (LW) & 3rd round pick

To Vancouver - Casey DeSmith

He has 1 year at 3.25. 

Not crazy about losing the third, but given that our LW blows chunks, I think this is reasonable. Pearson had a horrible, injury-riddled season and may be primed for a bounce-back year. If he can recover his form, he will be a desirable asset at the deadline; meanwhile he will provide some size and experience up front and possibly help to bring someone like Slaf along. 

Good trade for the Canucks, too - they need reliable backup G the help keep Demko's load under control.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Not crazy about losing the third, but given that our LW blows chunks, I think this is reasonable. Pearson had a horrible, injury-riddled season and may be primed for a bounce-back year. If he can recover his form, he will be a desirable asset at the deadline; meanwhile he will provide some size and experience up front and possibly help to bring someone like Slaf along. 

Good trade for the Canucks, too - they need reliable backup G the help keep Demko's load under control.

Looks as if Montreal gained a 3rd, not traded a 3rd.

9 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not thrilled to have a vet take a spot from a youngin 

But if this guy can turn it around then we will get another deadline pick. 

Not a bad trade all things considered 

The only youngun in question might be Harvey-Pinard. And even with Pearson, there is room for him. Montreal Canadiens Organizational Depth Chart - Habs Eyes On The Prize

19 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

This is one of those trades where the trade tree could go on and on for a long time...

What's the Karlsson trade for us now?

Out

Mike Hoffman

Rem Pitlick

In

Tanner Pearson - chance of deadline move but likely not given injury history.

Gustav Lindstrom - probably just not resigned.

Nathan Legare - probably just not resigned.

2nd 2025

3rd 2025

4th 2025

+ 2.3M Dead Cap for 2 Years

Not bad but we are up in capspace now. Will be hard to be able to put price on IR. Any ideas out there?

• tomh009 changed the title to Tanner Pearson and 3rd to Habs, Casey DeSmith to Canucks
57 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

What's the Karlsson trade for us now?

Out

Mike Hoffman

Rem Pitlick

In

Tanner Pearson - chance of deadline move but likely not given injury history.

Gustav Lindstrom - probably just not resigned.

Nathan Legare - probably just not resigned.

2nd 2025

3rd 2025

4th 2025

+ 2.3M Dead Cap for 2 Years

Not bad but we are up in capspace now. Will be hard to be able to put price on IR. Any ideas out there?

The trick will be being able to get under the cap to start the season with Price on the roster, which they indicated was their preference.

This trade feels like a mini-version of the Monahan trade from a year ago.

We get a draft pick to take on a vet player who has been injured a lot and his usefulness is a question mark.

If his hand surgery failed and he cant score any more than we got a draft pick to take his contract.

If he stays healthy and can still score a bit, we flip him at the deadline for another pick.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not a bad trade all things considered 

I should note that with the Hoffman trade, the Habs were without a Kitchener player ... until now. Hope Pearson works out better than Hoffman!

28 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The trick will be being able to get under the cap to start the season with Price on the roster, which they indicated was their preference.

It's indeed trickier now, with the cap hit up by another $1.3M or so. However, I expect that Hughes already has a cunning plan to address this issue.

Gotta keep accumulating picks - it'll be a long rebuild. By 2025 we'll hopefully be in position to flip some of them for a good player.

Is Pearson ready to start the season? Like others, I'm not thrilled about him taking a spot from a young guy, but then again we don't really have many forward prospects emphatically deserving a spot in the lineup. A year or two in Laval will do them well.

5 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

He will be traded at the deadline for picks 

For sure and the chance exists that we get a first for him. 

Overall good trade. Just hoping that RHP gets regular time but as @The Chicoutimi Cucumber posted there is room. Injuries will happen but… we need guys like Ylonen to get good time too. 

Pearson - Dach - Monahan 

30 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

For sure and the chance exists that we get a first for him. 

Overall good trade. Just hoping that RHP gets regular time but as @The Chicoutimi Cucumber posted there is room. Injuries will happen but… we need guys like Ylonen to get good time too. 

Pearson - Dach - Monahan 

I think Pearson would need to have a heck of a turnaround to get a 1st but stranger things have happened. 

8 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... we need guys like Ylonen to get good time too ...

Meh ... other than RHP, I'm not certain that there are any youngsters who I see as part of the post-rebuild team that should be in the NHL rather than junior/AHL/Europe ... I'm just not as keen on Ylonen, for example, as many.

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think Pearson would need to have a heck of a turnaround to get a 1st but stranger things have happened. 

I just looked up his stats and I’m a bit disappointed! I thought Pearson was a 70 point guy but he has been injured so frigging much. 

Chances of a first sure seem slim!

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Meh ... other than RHP, I'm not certain that there are any youngsters who I see as part of the post-rebuild team that should be in the NHL rather than junior/AHL/Europe ... I'm just not as keen on Ylonen, for example, as many.

You and I are in agreement with Ylonen but the kid deserves more time than one partial season. 

19 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I just looked up his stats and I’m a bit disappointed! I thought Pearson was a 70 point guy but he has been injured so frigging much. 

Chances of a first sure seem slim!

You and I are in agreement with Ylonen but the kid deserves more time than one partial season. 

Pearson's cap hit is 3.25 million.  Even when healthy he was never a 70 plus point guy.

His career high is 45.