2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Everyone who has played for.the Habs and is in the HHOF has a spot on the ring of honour.  Even guys who were only Habs for a short time.

Not a great policy IMHO. I'd put in a 2-year rule, UNLESS you contributed to a Cup.

Turgeon deserves zero recognition in Montreal, but hey, it's no skin off my nose. If the francophone community wants to pretend he was some important contributor to Habs history, let them so delude themselves 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Not a great policy IMHO. I'd put in a 2-year rule, UNLESS you contributed to a Cup.

Turgeon deserves zero recognition in Montreal, but hey, it's no skin off my nose. If the francophone community wants to pretend he was some important contributor to Habs history, let them so delude themselves 🤷‍♂️

But he carried the torch on one of the selected top 10 Habs games of all time on my dvd set 🙄

19 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

But he carried the torch on one of the selected top 10 Habs games of all time on my dvd set 🙄

Ugh, yeah, how that one made it in over Game 2 from the 1993 Finals (the McSorely stick/Desjardins hat trick) defies human understanding

47 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Game 2 from the 1993 Finals (the McSorely stick/Desjardins hat trick) defies human understanding

Nice old memory, wasnt a big Desjardins fan, but i was that evening.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Nice old memory, wasnt a big Desjardins fan, but i was that evening.

I was at that game. Short of an OT Game 7 win, it is basically impossible to experience a more electrifying Habs moment than that tying goal was, believe me.

On 11/15/2023 at 3:58 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m not defending it and have very little memory of Turgeon’s impact on the Habs but he did play parts of 3 seasons with the Habs and has the 3rd highest points per game average ever amongst Canadiens players. Behind Newsy Lalonde and Guy Lafleur. I know, only 108 games. Just saying.

On 11/15/2023 at 4:48 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ugh, yeah, how that one made it in over Game 2 from the 1993 Finals (the McSorely stick/Desjardins hat trick) defies human understanding

Or any number of whalers Habs playoffs games. there were a few.  Whalers Habs don’t get discussed much. Maybe it’s just selective memory because I was young, but I can remember some doozies.

7 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Or any number of whalers Habs playoffs games. there were a few.  Whalers Habs don’t get discussed much. Maybe it’s just selective memory because I was young, but I can remember some doozies.

You’re not wrong - there was Game 7 OT in the 1986 Semi-Finals, for instance, with Claude Lemieux scoring on the backhand. A forgotten classic. The Whalers had this thing where they always, always played us really tough, even if they were way below us in the standings. They were an example of what I think of as “asymmetrical rivals,” meaning they got way more cranked up to play us than we did to play them. The Ottawa Senators have always been the same way (which is one reason I hate that franchise). For many years - like decades - the same was true of the Leafs, who were geed up by their idiot media to be all pumped to play the Habs, while, from the Habs POV, we hadn’t played a meaningful game against them in decades.

For all of that, I kinda miss the Whalers. They had a great team name, great unis, and represented an earlier model of the NHL where non-glamourous working class cities could still get franchises. They were closer to the NHL that had the Cleveland Barons in it than the NHL of the VGK.

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You’re not wrong - there was Game 7 OT in the 1986 Semi-Finals, for instance, with Claude Lemieux scoring on the backhand. A forgotten classic. The Whalers had this thing where they always, always played us really tough, even if they were way below us in the standings. They were an example of what I think of as “asymmetrical rivals,” meaning they got way more cranked up to play us than we did to play them. The Ottawa Senators have always been the same way (which is one reason I hate that franchise). For many years - like decades - the same was true of the Leafs, who were geed up by their idiot media to be all pumped to play the Habs, while, from the Habs POV, we hadn’t played a meaningful game against them in decades.

For all of that, I kinda miss the Whalers. They had a great team name, great unis, and represented an earlier model of the NHL where non-glamourous working class cities could still get franchises. They were closer to the NHL that had the Cleveland Barons in it than the NHL of the VGK.

The 86 ot and 92 double OT were crazy exciting games. 

20 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I know I’ve written about that game 7 OT before. 

That game was the most gut clenching one of the 86’ cup run. 

Now, as someone who lives in CT and about 25 min from Hartford I would love nothing more than if the whalers were indeed still around. 

But rest assured, working class Hartford has turned into a horrible city. 

Good for him ... tough break for Colorado in the short term ... but in the long-term they will get better a "better" player.

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Good for him ... tough break for Colorado in the short term ... but in the long-term they will get better a "better" player.

Kudos to him for recognizing a problem and taking steps to improve his life. Wishing him the best. 

• Like 1

Time will tell the details.

1 hour ago, Helmethead said:

The delay is putting out a clear cut response albeit without the details has turned this into a circus. 

Typical of the Hawks imo. 

The weird thing is that there is still a bit of contrast.  Chicago says it's an organizational decision for him to not be there while the statement from Perry's agent suggests Perry asked to step away.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

The weird thing is that there is still a bit of contrast.  Chicago says it's an organizational decision for him to not be there while the statement from Perry's agent suggests Perry asked to step away.

From what Perry's agent has said I'm wondering if his son is sick and that the Hawks are telling him to be with his son vs the team.  ex:  if his son had an operation or something and the team could be giving him time off to be there with him.  After all, it's not like the Hawks need Perry to be there that they could give him some time off for a family matter.  

3 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

From what Perry's agent has said I'm wondering if his son is sick and that the Hawks are telling him to be with his son vs the team.  ex:  if his son had an operation or something and the team could be giving him time off to be there with him.  After all, it's not like the Hawks need Perry to be there that they could give him some time off for a family matter.  

A very reasonable guess for sure.  If that's the case though, Chicago could have easily said from the beginning that he was stepping aside for personal reasons and left it vague like that.  It's not as if there aren't other players who have done that this season without any extra questions or grief so why they opted to go with the approach that only brought on more scrutiny is perplexing.

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If that's the case though, Chicago could have easily said from the beginning that he was stepping aside for personal reasons and left it vague like that.  It's not as if there aren't other players who have done that this season without any extra questions or grief so why they opted to go with the approach that only brought on more scrutiny is perplexing.

Exactly, why didn't they say that. People would have stopped asking questions and respected his privacy. The way it was handled is very odd.