2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

3 hours ago, DON said:

Everyone sees a big improvement in Slaf over last season and it’s fair to say the entire team is better than last season. 

It’s exciting to see the progress and I’m imagining Roy getting NHL results like his AHL results. 

Not to mention, I wonder where we would be if Dach was here and if Anderson scored at a normal level. 

29 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Everyone sees a big improvement in Slaf over last season and it’s fair to say the entire team is better than last season. 

It’s exciting to see the progress and I’m imagining Roy getting NHL results like his AHL results. 

Not to mention, I wonder where we would be if Dach was here and if Anderson scored at a normal level. 

the team is progressing, and despite the injuries the future looks positive for the Habs.

I do not expect them to make the playoff this year and if they get in I do not expect them to go far. But I am eager to see how the younglings develop.

2 hours ago, huzer said:

This post is just for fun, but raise your hand if you thought Suzuki would have more goals than Caufield, and Caufield would have more assists than Suzuki so far this season.

So far it’s making my lofty predictions for both (Suzuki points, Caulfield goals) seem unlikely.

4 hours ago, huzer said:

This post is just for fun, but raise your hand if you thought Suzuki would have more goals than Caufield, and Caufield would have more assists than Suzuki so far this season.

Who would have thought that Caulfield and Gallagher would be tied in goals? Not me.

Stat of the day: Habs have the same amount of regulation wins as the San Jose Sharks (2).

14 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Who would have thought that Caulfield and Gallagher would be tied in goals? Not me.

I think whomever plays with Monahan will benefit and is great that Gallagher is doing well, hope he keeps it up.

Need a strong defensive d-man to pair-up with Matheson, too bad Guhle wasnt RH.

Noticed numerous times the young LH d-man playing right side (Harris-Guhle), simply struggle dealing with pucks on backhand along the boards at opposing blueline.

Sure they can play right, but not as well as natural side, it seems to me... Reinbacher-Mailloux should help fill that hole in near future.

1 minute ago, DON said:

I think whomever plays with Monahan will benefit and is great that Gallagher is doing well, hope he keeps it up.

Need a strong defensive d-man to pair-up with Matheson, too bad Guhle wasnt RH.

Noticed numerous times the young LH d-man playing right side (Harris-Guhle), simply struggle dealing with pucks on backhand along the boards at opposing blueline.

Sure they can play right, but not as well as natural side, it seems to me.

I was thinking the same about the kids playing LD.

:rolleyes: :nuts:  When is Wideman coming back ?  :nuts:  :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

yesterday was the last day of your past life, isn't it?

That's as good of a response as I've seen to that thought in that signature which has to have been there for the better part of a decade.  I should probably update it one day with some new ones.

• Like 1

Which winger would he replace in top nine, if was bumped up?

"The logical move at this stage is to give him a shot at bigger minutes. You don’t want to overreact and shoot him up to the top line after one good game, but he has to earn a shot at something more after that performance. There are under-performing forwards in the top-nine right now who should be ceding some ice time to a young player who managed to put up numbers while being the second-least used forward on the night."

Bottom Six Minutes: Jesse Ylönen deserves a promotion - Habs Eyes on the Prize

7 minutes ago, DON said:

Which winger would he replace in top nine, if was bumped up?

"The logical move at this stage is to give him a shot at bigger minutes. You don’t want to overreact and shoot him up to the top line after one good game, but he has to earn a shot at something more after that performance. There are under-performing forwards in the top-nine right now who should be ceding some ice time to a young player who managed to put up numbers while being the second-least used forward on the night."

Bottom Six Minutes: Jesse Ylönen deserves a promotion - Habs Eyes on the Prize

Slaf, Gallagher, Pearson, Anderson, take your pick.

Personally I'm choosing Gallagher, limited trade value and not part of the team's long term future anymore, where Ylonen might be.  Pearson needs to stay in the top nine for trade value.  Slaf is part of the future so i don't want him out of the top nine, and Anderson could turn things around and also has some trade value if he does. 

That said I'm making some other changes too. 

Newhook - Suzuki - Anderson

Pearson - Monahan - Caufield

Ylonen - Dvorak - Slafkovsky

Pezzetta - Evans - Gallagher

VS the Ducks... how will this one go tomorrow, will Struble play?

Habs tied for 25th place in the NHL, seems about right.

Habs are worst in the league with only 2 regulation wins.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, DON said:

Canadiens recall Mattias Norlinder from the Laval Rocket

Canadiens recall Mattias Norlinder from the Laval Rocket - Habs Eyes on the Prize

Well, Harris's road trip replacement named.

will he also have to pay at the rookie diner, or is it still only Strubble?

Another piece in an overall rebuild

Well well, I'm certainly glad to see the Habs hired a Mental Performance Coach.  I've wanted them to do that early on in Price's career.  Hopefully, Menard can make a big difference with some of the prospects along with any underperforming vets.  

• Like 1

Which NHL teams have drafted the best and worst since 2007? Ranking 31-17 - The Athletic

"Montreal’s results are propped up by a legendary 2007 draft haul that includes P.K. Subban, Max Pacioretty and Ryan McDonagh. But since then, the team has underperformed its expected haul in nine of 11 drafts.

The Canadiens’ biggest problem was its first-round picks from 2008-2018: ..."

3 hours ago, DON said:

[...]

The Canadiens’ biggest problem was its first-round picks from 2008-2018: ..."

and IMHO the absence of 2nd round picks for a long time where they may have picked up a "gem in the rough" to lessen the misjudged 1st rounders

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

and IMHO the absence of 2nd round picks for a long time where they may have picked up a "gem in the rough" to lessen the misjudged 1st rounders

Thanks to the "band-aid trades" the previous 2-3 GMs focused on because of the belief that if you make the playoffs anything can happen ... Sadly, I also think they felt it important for them to "be seen" as trying to make the playoffs.