Game 39 - Canadiens vs Rangers - 7 p.m. - January 6, 2024

GHT120

Monty's contract is a steal and he absolutely can be the 1a in 1a/1b tandem.  No question for me right now.  In the summer I wasnt sure based on sample size, but the sample is big enough now.

Monty's contract expires the same time as Gallagher's so there will be some extra money to give him a raise if he keeps playing like this. Get the most they can get for Allen (don't think Primeau has a lot of trade value) and move forward. 

Not for nothing, but Slaf’s hockey sense has gone for zero to 95 over the last 20+ games. 

He’s starting to anticipate Suzuki’s decisions and is constantly around him offering big body support. 

I am VERY impressed. 

54 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Monty's contract expires the same time as Gallagher's so there will be some extra money to give him a raise if he keeps playing like this. Get the most they can get for Allen (don't think Primeau has a lot of trade value) and move forward. 

Monty played excellent but I was somewhat expecting Primeau to play.   At 1 point they seemed be doing baptism by fire and purposely giving Primeau hard games.  Let him get peppered by teams with some serious snipers and for the most part he has responded better than anticipated.  Plus, if Primeau had played and gave a similar performance it would increase his trade value. 

On the 1 goal it looked like Monty was caught with his pants down and I wasnt sure what had happened.  The replay showed it was tipped with a high stick not quite high enough to disallow it.  It was understandable he had no chance on that 1.

Struble on for a 2minute OT shift. 20:28 +2

Montembeault had a nice game- 45 saves, maybe he is a pretty good goalie?

Caufield at least had 6 shots and SO goal.

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Struble is making me a believer. The decisions for future D corps keep getting harder.

Agree 100%, Struble seems so confident and mature.  Plus he has the physical tools. There will be some tough decisions down the road for sure. 

12 hours ago, Helmethead said:

Not for nothing, but Slaf’s hockey sense has gone for zero to 95 over the last 20+ games. 

He’s starting to anticipate Suzuki’s decisions and is constantly around him offering big body support. 

I am VERY impressed. 

I didn't watch the game, but I am glad to read how well Slafkovsky played. Like I said before, he complements Suzuki very well.

18 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I agree with rotating them and any that are on ELC's I'd even be yo-yo-ing them up n down.  i.e. Harris and Barron could both benefit from some high minutes in Laval.  I believe it is unfair they have only sent Arber down when there are others that are more deserving of AHL time.  They should be making the most of their waiver exemptions while they can and before they can't anymore. 

Harris was exempt to start the season, he isn't now.  The waiver-exempt options with Montreal right now are Barron, Guhle, and Struble.

16 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Wow, great penalty drawn by Slaf with 11 secs left in OT.  I hope Marty pulls Monty for this faceoff.

That wouldn't have ended too well.  Considering how bad they are when they pull the goalie on an offensive zone faceoff (which is what happened in Buffalo for probably the fourth or fifth time already with the puck going in the empty net within 15 seconds), that's a strategy I don't think I'd ever employ.  Worth noting, if a team pulls its goalie in overtime and the other team scores into the empty net, the losing team does not get a point in the standings. 

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Harris was exempt to start the season, he isn't now.  The waiver-exempt options with Montreal right now are Barron, Guhle, and Struble.

That wouldn't have ended too well.  Considering how bad they are when they pull the goalie on an offensive zone faceoff (which is what happened in Dallas for probably the fourth or fifth time already with the puck going in the empty net within 15 seconds), that's a strategy I don't think I'd ever employ.  Worth noting, if a team pulls its goalie in overtime and the other team scores into the empty net, the losing team does not get a point in the standings

I figured Harris was getting close to having to go through waivers but I didn't realize he's already passed that which is too bad because he could benefit from some time in the AHL.

Interesting, I've never heard that rule before.  I don't recall ever seeing a team pull their goalie in OT before but that would be why.  My rational was the NYR have numerous talented scorers so I didn't think the Habs would do well in a SO against them so might as well pull the Goalie and try to win in the last 11 secs.  If a team doesn't get an extra point when they get an open netter scored on them in OT then it wouldn't have been worth the risk.  

2 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I figured Harris was getting close to having to go through waivers but I didn't realize he's already passed that which is too bad because he could benefit from some time in the AHL.

Interesting, I've never heard that rule before.  I don't recall ever seeing a team pull their goalie in OT before but that would be why.  My rational was the NYR have numerous talented scorers so I didn't think the Habs would do well in a SO against them so might as well pull the Goalie and try to win in the last 11 secs.  If a team doesn't get an extra point when they get an open netter scored on them in OT then it wouldn't have been worth the risk.  

Harris was exempt for only a few games this season; he was waiver-eligible within the first two weeks.  I actually think he's doing pretty well right now with that Northeastern pairing being reunited.

The empty net in OT rule is little known but it has been around for about 25 years I think.  And in that time, I'm not sure a goalie has come out aside from when there's about two seconds left when the other team doesn't have enough time to get it down the ice and in.

19 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Monty is looking more and more like a #1 goalie, terrific game, glad the Habs signed him. 

His numbers don't reflect how good of a season is having.  A few games ago he had the lowest GAA in 5-on-5 play in the entire NHL.

He's playing well enough that Montréal needs to have him start the bulk of games while Allen and Primeau split the available backup games.  That's not the best for Allen or Primeau, but they need to stop punishing Montembeault because they can't find a suitable trade and sending one down will lose them for free. 

On 1/7/2024 at 7:01 AM, dlbalr said:

I'd like to see a bit of a rotation for a bit.  Barron could have a game off, so could Harris, even Struble once in a while.  It shouldn't just be the same one sitting most of the time.

I suspect the issue is that they don't want to put Kovacevic back in a top-four spot where he really struggled earlier.  With Harris on his off-side already, asking him to move up not long after coming back from injury could be risky which leaves Kovacevic as the odd one out.

Just leave Barron out of rotation, he is not evil, but the opposite of good. At least with evil you know what your  getting.

Guhle is going to get hurt following up on his constant mistakes.

Suzie, Evans, Monhan and others are following up on his constant lack of defensive game.

I hoping they are playing him to trade him.

If they aren’t he should not be hereI

go learn in Laval and come back when he is ready. Which he is not now.

21 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Harris was exempt for only a few games this season; he was waiver-eligible within the first two weeks.  I actually think he's doing pretty well right now with that Northeastern pairing being reunited.

The empty net in OT rule is little known but it has been around for about 25 years I think.  And in that time, I'm not sure a goalie has come out aside from when there's about two seconds left when the other team doesn't have enough time to get it down the ice and in.

I think a team pulled the goalie once in a game where they needed the ROW, and a shootout win wasnt good enough to make the playoffs.  But yeah, othet than that scenario I don't see why youd do it.

6 hours ago, Montreal Aussie said:

Just leave Barron out of rotation, he is not evil, but the opposite of good. At least with evil you know what your  getting.

Guhle is going to get hurt following up on his constant mistakes.

Suzie, Evans, Monhan and others are following up on his constant lack of defensive game.

I hoping they are playing him to trade him.

If they aren’t he should not be hereI

go learn in Laval and come back when he is ready. Which he is not now.

I am guessing you are not fan of Barron.

I was very happy when they traded for him and I kept hyping him on this forum when he first played for the Habs that first season.

I agree that he needs to improve but unless there is a trade, I doubt Laval is the best option for him. Making the playoffs this season is not that important, but playing the prospects like Barron in all game situations is key for the team's development. Playing for each other and covering for other's mistakes is also part of the learning process.

I don't see Hughes trading Barron at this point. Maybe once there is more certainty about Reinbacher and Mailloux, but not likely now. Unless, of course, someone offers a king's ransom for him, but I don't think that's likely right now.

On 1/6/2024 at 7:40 PM, Helmethead said:

I am VERY impressed. 

That one handed, between the legs clear in front of his own net. I hope the points start piling up, because he deserves them.

On 1/7/2024 at 1:41 PM, dlbalr said:

Worth noting, if a team pulls its goalie in overtime and the other team scores into the empty net, the losing team does not get a point in the standings. 

I'm going from memory but I believe the rule evolved as follows.

In 1999 they instituted that a team losing in overtime would get 1 point but if there was no scoring in overtime the game ended tied and each team got 1 point.  In 2004 they eliminated ties (by introducing the shoot out).

Thus between 1999 and 2004 there was an incentive for overtime games to not end tied.  This meant both teams might pull the goalie in the final minute of overtime to help ensure someone got the extra point.  To prevent this from happening the rule denying the loser point to a team losing with the net empty was introduced in 1999.  Thus there were no games with 2 pulled goalies.

The rule no longer serves any purpose and might lead to some unfair situation in some weird circumstances at the end of the season.  The rule should probably be rescinded.

3 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

I'm going from memory but I believe the rule evolved as follows.

In 1999 they instituted that a team losing in overtime would get 1 point but if there was no scoring in overtime the game ended tied and each team got 1 point.  In 2004 they eliminated ties (by introducing the shoot out).

Thus between 1999 and 2004 there was an incentive for overtime games to not end tied.  This meant both teams might pull the goalie in the final minute of overtime to help ensure someone got the extra point.  To prevent this from happening the rule denying the loser point to a team losing with the net empty was introduced in 1999.  Thus there were no games with 2 pulled goalies.

The rule no longer serves any purpose and might lead to some unfair situation in some weird circumstances at the end of the season.  The rule should probably be rescinded.

Nice memory on that one, back in the days when they didn't have a gimmick to end games...how I miss those.

13 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Nice memory on that one, back in the days when they didn't have a gimmick to end games...how I miss those.

Yah, get rid of the shootout. It was a sop to fans after the lockout, it has nothing to do with the team sport of hockey, and a lot of people around the league don’t like it.