What is the minimum required to be a Habs fan ? IYHO.

JoeLassister

What does it take, at least to consider someone to be a Habs fan.  

1. 1. In your opinion, the minimum has to be :

What does it take to make the cut ?

IMHO, being fan of a team means that you will still cheer for this team tomorrow even if 100% of the players are replaced by some unknowns.

I would maybe add that you have to enjoy a 5-4 loss and regularly says "cool, there is a game this evening" but that would be going too far because I know my mom is a real Habs fan but i doubt she ever said "cool, there is a game this evening".

IMHO, cheering for the Habs because X player plays there is not being a Habs fan.

I think there are (at least) three kinds of true fans:

1: Diehard

If you replace every player on the team, this person will continue to support the team. This type of fan will also follow the team through a winless season. They won't enjoy it, but they'll still be there for it. This fan will wear a team jersey the day after a loss or even elimination from the playoffs.

2: Hardcore

This fan wants to watch each and every game, and does. However, if things get a bit too painful to watch they might move onto something else that night - only to return promptly for the next match. This fan will have a harder time following day-to-day during a losing season (i.e. missing the playoffs without question).

3: Casual

This fan will watch when the team is winning or when in a social gathering. They do not schedule their lives around each game, but will gladly watch if time permits. This fan can go a week or two without watching a game as long as they know the outcome of each match (score, who scored, opponent, etc).

------------------

As for a fan who watches a team because of a particular player - I would have to ask the questions:

"Does this person wish that the team wins because FavPlayer is on it?"

"Does this person not care if FavPlayer's team loses as long as FavPlayer scores 7 goals and adds 3 assists?"

If the fan wishes the team to win because FavPlayer is on said team, I believe this fan to count as a fan of the team.

If not, they are just a groupie.

Hatred of Toronto is probably a prerequisite. :D

Hatred of Toronto is a determining factor for a lot of Habs fans in Canada. Like people mentioned in the other thread most people living in northern Ontario in rural areas are Habs fans and the reason for that is that they hate Toronto. Almost 1 in 6 Canadians live in T.O. so politically T.O.'s population gets to make a lot of descisions that effect the entire country. ex people in T.O. have never seen a bear so they oppose a spring bear hunt and people who live in rural norther places end up with bear sanctuaries in their back yards becasue if it.

Age is another determining factor. Before 1967 there was only 2 Canadian teams so a lot of older people in rural areas all over Canada liked the Habs over the Leafs generally for the same reason I said above.

Heritage is another important factor of preference. There are tonnes of French people all over Canada even though the majority of them dont consider themselves French because they cant speak the language and they are so far removed from their French heritage that now they are now only French by their last name.

None of these are required to be a Habs fan, but they are determining factors of why 1 chooses the Habs over the Leafs, or the newer more local teams.

What does it take to make the cut ?

IMHO, being fan of a team means that you will still cheer for this team tomorrow even if 100% of the players are replaced by some unknowns.

I would maybe add that you have to enjoy a 5-4 loss and regularly says "cool, there is a game this evening" but that would be going too far because I know my mom is a real Habs fan but i doubt she ever said "cool, there is a game this evening".

IMHO, cheering for the Habs because X player plays there is not being a Habs fan.

Since it appears this thread is starting because of one of my comments (correct me if I'm wrong) allow me to expand...

How many fans START cheering for a team because of X player and remain fans even if that player leaves? A LOT of kids right now are starting out as Crosby or Ovechkin fans and in a couple years they'll be bona fide Pens/Caps fans once they start following the team, getting to know their other players/prospects, etc...

I started out as a huge Mike Bossy fan and then a NYI fan during the early to mid-80's...when I was old enough to really start following a team I was a huge Patrick Roy fan...after following them, learning their history, liking the rest of the players then I became a big Canadiens fan. However, to this day, I still follow the NYI casually...

My point was that the PLAYERS are the gateway to team allegiance. Don't allienate young fans by saying they aren't Habs fans because they are the Habs fans of the future...

Edited by Zowpeb

Staying up all night to watch a Habs-game starting 01:00 to 04:00 in the night and then go to work at 07:00 the next morning and do that almost every time european tv shows a habs game (about maybe 20 games a year). OR... Listening to CJAD at the same times should count for something. :P

Since it appears this thread is starting because of one of my comments (correct me if I'm wrong) allow me to expand...

How many fans START cheering for a team because of X player and remain fans even if that player leaves? A LOT of kids right now are starting out as Crosby or Ovechkin fans and in a couple years they'll be bona fide Pens/Caps fans once they start following the team, getting to know their other players/prospects, etc...

I started out as a huge Mike Bossy fan and then a NYI fan during the early to mid-80's...when I was old enough to really start following a team I was a huge Patrick Roy fan...after following them, learning their history, liking the rest of the players then I became a big Canadiens fan. However, to this day, I still follow the NYI casually...

My point was that the PLAYERS are the gateway to team allegiance. Don't allienate young fans by saying they aren't Habs fans because they are the Habs fans of the future...

Same for me. My mom told me that when I was 6-7 years old, I used to cry when the coach was playing the backup goalie instead of Patrick Roy. I'd say I was a HUGE Roy's fan. I even started to play baseball in the summer because Roy said that his 2nd sport was baseball.

Well, I don't consider that, at this point, I was really a Habs fan. I'd say I started to be a Habs fan the day I started to wish the coach would ice the best team possible to win the game, period.

When Roy left for Colorado, my love for him went away. I still thought he was the best ever, even with Colorado, but I wasn't happy to see them beat Florida or NJ even with St-Patrick in the nets. All that matter was and is Montreal (and Edmonton since I always liked them because they look like the Montreal Expos).

The only way I could really be a "one season fan" of another team is a Ray Bourque scenario where Saku would be traded to win the Cup. I just hope it will happen before with the Habs.

hehe, skipping a university exam to watch the habs play a playoff game. ^_^

lol if this is your minimum, I wonder what is the maximum you would do for your team !!!!

Having a second favourite team is fine. But, at the moment the Habs are hurting, losing or going through a depressed period, do certain so called fans for a moment replace their number one team in the Habs with their 2nd choice? As soon as that happens the boast about being a true Habs fan is dimished and lost. That's my standard.

That's where I draw the line. It's no excuse to put on an Oiler jersey or B's jersey as a Leafs fan and sneak back in 20 years later. They did. We must be better!!!

:hlogo: Bleed

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

I think there are (at least) three kinds of true fans:

1: Diehard

If you replace every player on the team, this person will continue to support the team. This type of fan will also follow the team through a winless season. They won't enjoy it, but they'll still be there for it. This fan will wear a team jersey the day after a loss or even elimination from the playoffs.

2: Hardcore

This fan wants to watch each and every game, and does. However, if things get a bit too painful to watch they might move onto something else that night - only to return promptly for the next match. This fan will have a harder time following day-to-day during a losing season (i.e. missing the playoffs without question).

3: Casual

This fan will watch when the team is winning or when in a social gathering. They do not schedule their lives around each game, but will gladly watch if time permits. This fan can go a week or two without watching a game as long as they know the outcome of each match (score, who scored, opponent, etc).

------------------

As for a fan who watches a team because of a particular player - I would have to ask the questions:

"Does this person wish that the team wins because FavPlayer is on it?"

"Does this person not care if FavPlayer's team loses as long as FavPlayer scores 7 goals and adds 3 assists?"

If the fan wishes the team to win because FavPlayer is on said team, I believe this fan to count as a fan of the team.

If not, they are just a groupie.

wow, long post for a pointless debate :P:clap:

lol if this is your minimum, I wonder what is the maximum you would do for your team !!!!

^_^

Naw, thats the craziest thing I've ever done, from what I can remember in my life anyways...

BTW I don't think they're any rules to be a fan.

To be honest I think I am addicted to watching the habs. xD

Having a second favourite team is fine. But, at the moment the Habs are hurting, losing or going through a depressed period, do certain so called fans for a moment replace their number one team in the Habs with their 2nd choice? As soon as that happens the boast about being a true Habs fan is dimished and lost. That's my standard.

That's where I draw the line. It's no excuse to put on an Oiler jersey or B's jersey as a Leafs fan and sneak back in 20 years later. They did. We must be better!!!

:hlogo: Bleed

I'm a Habs fan #1 and a Jackets fan #2, but I am also a pragmatist. Any time before February I root for the Habs over the Jackets no matter what. But as they approach the playoff stretch, I have to think about it a little. If Montreal is riding high and the Jackets are in need of points, like last year when they played, I'll at the very least be rooting for overtime. I'll still root for the Habs, but I won't be disappointed if the Jackets get the two points. If they ever meet in the playoffs, though, there will be no thought at all - Habs all the way.

Staying up all night to watch a Habs-game starting 01:00 to 04:00 in the night and then go to work at 07:00 the next morning and do that almost every time european tv shows a habs game (about maybe 20 games a year). OR... Listening to CJAD at the same times should count for something. :P

Yes, it must. If that is not diehard I don't know what is.... I have to admit thought that I dont do that as often now that I have 2 kids and a doctoral disertation to finish in addition to work.

I think what should define a HABS fan is loyalty to the team and the players that are wearing the jersey. I did make exceptions to this rule only thrice in about 35yrs: I wanted Houle (as GM) Chezercawski (sp) and Samsonov gone

Last week, my brother asked me the following question:

"Would you rather have watch Olympiakos win the Champions League Final, or watch the Habs win the Cup?"

Keep in mind that I live in Greece and that I have been playing soccer my whole life. On top of that, no greek team has ever won the CL final, let alone participated in it (Panathinaikos made the finals in 1971 but lost to Ajax.) This would give all Olympiakos fans eternal bragging rights let alone the one week party that would engulf all of Greece.

I said the Habs without even flinching.

My uncle became a Pens fan under Lemieux, now his son is a Pens/Crosby fan. You are right, players are portals, however the other agrument, about the old Leaf/Has fanbase is acurate aswell. I think it is star players and parental guidance that affect who we grow to be fans of, for the large part. Of course there are those who become fans later in life and the influencing factor could be anything from friends at work to a relationship with a fan.

"Would you rather have watch Olympiakos win the Champions League Final, or watch the Habs win the Cup?"

Keep in mind that I live in Greece and that I have been playing soccer my whole life. On top of that, no greek team has ever won the CL final, let alone participated in it (Panathinaikos made the finals in 1971 but lost to Ajax.) This would give all Olympiakos fans eternal bragging rights let alone the one week party that would engulf all of Greece.

I am very impressed. I have many Greek friends and most don't know hockey. They aren't Canadian Greek mind you. That is a huge statment and you win! Biggest Fan!!!

Now that's a fan!!!! Although you lose some points for not having to deal with Canadian winters. I've been to Greece, it's paradise. I never thought a tomato could taste so good, and the ice-cream, WOW.

May as well have restated the question: Would you rather see the Habs win the Cup, or would you rather see golden pigs fly across the sky singing hymns of grace and joy.

:P

I'm a Habs fan #1 and a Jackets fan #2,...
There's nothing wrong with that as it relates to my standard. If someone from Calgary who is a Habs fan roots for the Flames with equal passion then that's fine. Where I draw the line is when Calgary TRULY becomes the primary team in the heart of the fan. Wanting the Flames to win is perfectly acceptable. I guess the best way to explain this is if a fan hangs up the Habs jersey in disgust, says "screw 'em" and puts on the Flames jersey as numero uno - in heart and soul.

There's nothing wrong with that as it relates to my standard. If someone from Calgary who is a Habs fan roots for the Flames with equal passion then that's fine. Where I draw the line is when Calgary TRULY becomes the primary team in the heart of the fan. Wanting the Flames to win is perfectly acceptable. I guess the best way to explain this is if a fan hangs up the Habs jersey in disgust, says "screw 'em" and puts on the Flames jersey as numero uno - in heart and soul.

Geez AC, sounds like you know my dad, haha.

I only cheer for One team. I have always cheered for one team. I will never cheer for another team! Even when I cheered for the Expos, it wasn't as passionate as it is with the Habs. When i go to Impact or Alouettes games, I don't cheer as loudly, and a loss by rthe Als or the Impact doesn't bother me as much.

I remember being 5-6 years old and sleeping over at my 80 year old Grand-Father's place on Saturday nights to watch the game with him. I Did that til he died when I was 8. After that, I asked my parents for a TV in my room so I could watch the Habs without having my little sister bug me.

No other team matters!!

I try to watch every Habs game, but I miss a few of them each year, so I usually end up watching about 75 games per year(not including the playoffs).

When the Habs lose, i stick with it. If the Habs are losing, and the game is on RDS and CBC, i will swith from french to english, hoping that the switch might change something(I know, i know, I,m sick!!) :D;)

If the boys are playing like crap and are getting killed(ie the edmonton game) I will watch something else, cause i get too mad, and it ends up ruining my evening!

Oh yeah, my username on 3 diff3erent forums(non-hockey related) is HABSFAN.

I have had the question proposed to me whether or not I would forego championships

for every other team I support for the rest of my life for one more Canadiens Cup and

the answer was Yes.

Without a doubt or second guess.

When I lived in BC I grew to Hate the Canucks, because the fans were always on my back about the Habs. I actually love it when they lose. I get great satisfaction from it. Now that I am in Alberta, I am starting to feel the same about the Oilers, even though the Oilers have always been my number 2 team. I take so much heat for being a Habs fan, that I want the Oilers to lose, so I can taunt their fans, and send them emails in case they forgot that their team lost. Ya. I am that spitefull.

When the Habs lose, i stick with it. If the Habs are losing, and the game is on RDS and CBC, i will swith from french to english, hoping that the switch might change something(I know, i know, I,m sick!!) :D;)

Haha, I do that too, but sometimes I get carried away with complicated systems. One time I switched back at the beginning of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, OT, and shootout. It worked! :lol:

I have had the question proposed to me whether or not I would forego championships

for every other team I support for the rest of my life for one more Canadiens Cup and

the answer was Yes.

Without a doubt or second guess.

Damn, you got screwed, you could have had multiple Cups for the Habs along with success for the other teams. :P

Damn, you got screwed, you could have had multiple Cups for the Habs along with success for the other teams. :P

Since 1993. In the 80s I just assumed the Cups were coming, so I would have told the person asking to get bent.

15 years have changed my perception.