Injury news

Commandant

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Exactly, we would have to take back a bad contract so in reality little "net" trade value. 

But since the other team is getting something they need, it would be the bad contract and a pick/prospect of some sort ... HYPOTHETICAL EXAMPLE ... Habs have cap space this season so Dvorak to Washington for Mantha would give the Caps faceoff expertise and some cap relief, while the Habs get a more expensive expiring contract and whatever sweetener Hughes can leverage.

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Danault's best year on the Habs was 53 points (2nd best was 47) AND he was able to shut down McDavid.  Much more valuable than Dvorak. 

Duh, reading the wrong column in the table ... :blush:

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Danault's best year on the Habs was 53 points (2nd best was 47) AND he was able to shut down McDavid.  Much more valuable than Dvorak. 

Yeah from what I can recall Danault had much more than 30 something points. Danault was our #1 centre - a role that Dvorak isn’t capable of.

I don’t know if I’d want Dvorak as anything more than a #4 centre, and frankly I think Evans is more valuable than Dvorak when you look at what he brings and his salary. You can’t really question Evans compete level, I don’t think anyone could say the same about Dvorak.  

the question isn’t just can we afford Dvorak, it’s also what kind of message does it send to a young team that you got washed out guys like Gallagher, or guys that didn’t always show up like Dvorak (and Armia) last year in the lineup and being paid as much as they are.  

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Duh, reading the wrong column in the table ... :blush:

I was wondering whet you got the 35-37 point high from!

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah from what I can recall Danault had much more than 30 something points. Danault was our #1 centre - a role that Dvorak isn’t capable of.

I don’t know if I’d want Dvorak as anything more than a #4 centre, and frankly I think Evans is more valuable than Dvorak when you look at what he brings and his salary. You can’t really question Evans compete level, I don’t think anyone could say the same about Dvorak.  

the question isn’t just can we afford Dvorak, it’s also what kind of message does it send to a young team that you got washed out guys like Gallagher, or guys that didn’t always show up like Dvorak (and Armia) last year in the lineup and being paid as much as they are.  

I see Evans as almost the perfect #4 center, what he brings for 1.7M is worth it. I see Beck being the #3 center with Suzuki and Dach being the top 2.  Of course Dach has to be healthy, I pray he recovers fully and can find a way to fulfill his potential which I think is enormous.  I don't see any future for Dvorak.  Of course things can always change. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I see Evans as almost the perfect #4 center, what he brings for 1.7M is worth it. I see Beck being the #3 center with Suzuki and Dach being the top 2.  Of course Dach has to be healthy, I pray he recovers fully and can find a way to fulfill his potential which I think is enormous.  I don't see any future for Dvorak.  Of course things can always change. 

Suzuki-Dach-Beck-Evans would be a nice lineup...and then we have Monahan and Newhook who can also step in to take faceoff, or play C when someone is injured.

Theoretically that looks good, although most of those four still have some developing to do.

53 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Suzuki-Dach-Beck-Evans would be a nice lineup...and then we have Monahan and Newhook who can also step in to take faceoff, or play C when someone is injured.

Theoretically that looks good, although most of those four still have some developing to do.

I'll wait to see how Beck does in the OHL (WJHC?) this season before anointing him the 3C ... maybe even some AHL time next season.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I'll wait to see how Beck does in the OHL (WJHC?) this season before anointing him the 3C ... maybe even some AHL time next season.

well, may be that's because I have not told everyone how much I like Beck. He will be just fine at 3C.

Slaf was anointed top-6 and no one blinked

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

well, may be that's because I have not told everyone how much I like Beck. He will be just fine at 3C.

Slaf was anointed top-6 and no one blinked

I think a lot of people blinked ... especially after his performance in his first TC and pre-season ... in fact, an awful lot of people felt from the get-go that he should go back to the SM-liiga, to the AHL or even to junior.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Sounds like Savard is out indefinitely. 

Indefinitely can mean a couple of weeks or long term but a slapper to the forearm isn’t good. 

Savard stood up and blocked two more shots after that first hit that likely broke his forearm. 

Beast

Yeah, say what you want about Savard, but he is a true warrior. That shift was old-school tough. 

28 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

What? Are we going to break last season's mark for man games lost due to injury? We must be in the league lead again? 

If they do ... hopefully a factor is the medical/training staff being less willing to let injured players "play through it" and/or "return too soon."

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

If they do ... hopefully a factor is the medical/training staff being less willing to let injured players "play through it" and/or "return too soon."

How would that make a difference.

They didn’t hire inexperience people that would learn on the job. The new team was brought in to change the trend

24 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Caufield wouldnt of played through separated shoulder and would of had surgery earlier

Monahan wouldnt of been allowed to play through injury just to face Calgary and aggravated injury to season ending extent.

Guhle wouldnt of played again on wonky knee, needing a brace

etc etc

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

They didn’t hire inexperience people that would learn on the job. The new team was brought in to change the trend

Trainers/medical staff CANNOT prevent players from being injured ... but if games are added to the total by doing away with the previous staff far too often accepting it when players said "I'm OK to play/I'm ready to come back" then THAT is a good thing because they are doing what is best for the player, not just what the players want.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DON said:

Caufield wouldnt of played through separated shoulder and would of had surgery earlier

Monahan wouldnt of been allowed to play through injury just to face Calgary and aggravated injury to season ending extent.

etc etc

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

[...] The new team was brought in to change the trend

23 hours ago, GHT120 said:

21 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

21 hours ago, DON said:

21 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The new team was brought in to change the trend

@alfredoh2009 ... "The new team was brought in to change the trend" does not seem like a fulsome response ... you didn't initially specify whether the trend you referenced was actual injuries or the  mismanagement of injuries ... AND ... you had questioned why, ***if*** the number was again high, the medical/training staff not allowing players to just play simply because they wanted to had value ... it was not obvious what "trend" you meant.

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

@alfredoh2009 ... "The new team was brought in to change the trend" does not seem like a fulsome response ... you didn't initially specify whether the trend you referenced was actual injuries or the  mismanagement of injuries ... AND ... you had questioned why, ***if*** the number was again high, the medical/training staff not allowing players to just play simply because they wanted to had value ... it was not obvious what "trend" you meant.

english grammar, not my strenght