Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

14 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

PLD for 5th overall and Gallagher?

What do you think folks?

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

... We can get rid of Gallagher without giving up the 5th overall ... But this cap space isn't worth trading 5th IMO.

Dalhabs original proposal was Gallagher and the 5th overall for PLD ... not 5th to get rid of Gallagher

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Dalhabs original proposal was Gallagher and the 5th overall for PLD ... not 5th to get rid of Gallagher

Any trade investment involving Gallagher probably has to include a 1st (albeit a lower first), and the return would be either minuscule, or mid round pick.  No one is taking on that contract and giving up anything if value unless and until Gallagher is healthy and productive for a prolonged period.

10 hours ago, GHT120 said:

And *** I *** would prefer to spend it on USEFUL players ... not overpaid, broken down veterans.

A buyout seems the only way to fix that and is not happening this summer, why complain about it, he will be on the Habs roster in Oct.

Every team always has one or more bad contracts it seems. And when healthy Gallagher has been a good player.

12 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Gally's contract is an issue, but that isn't their biggest issue though.  I wouldn't pay anybody to take him.  Plus, that would send a bad message because he bleeds bleu blanc et rouge.  

I like my proposal of dumping 3 players/contracts for 1 by trying to get Karlsson even if the Habs have to keep him for numerous years before they get rid of him.  Hutson is a year or 2 away, and Mailloux could be as well.  Meanwhile, the Habs desperately need a PP QB, which Karlsson would immediately solve.  Plus, Karlsson would be a good leader and inspiration for Hutson and Mailloux wen they do reach the NHL.   

Also, dumping 3 contracts opens up a spot for Beck - who will be in the OHL if he isn't with the Habs.  Furthermore, it makes room for Roy and potentially another F prospect.

Karlsson just put up 100 points and is a Norris finalist.

The contract means they wont get full value for him but hes not a player they are dumping for bad contracts 

I think this is really unrealistic.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Yes and my position on PLD is clear.  Hes a good player.  Hes not a franchise player.

The attractiveness is picking him up on a discount because hes pushing his way to Montreal.

I dont want to pay full value here.  

I would rather keep 5th overall in a draft where i think there are 6 players better than what we got at 1st in 2022.

46 minutes ago, DON said:

A buyout seems the only way to fix that and is not happening this summer, why complain about it, he will be on the Habs roster in Oct.

Every team always has one or more bad contracts it seems. And when healthy Gallagher has been a good player.

That's my thoughts as well. In the short term Gally is not going anywhere without giving up a bundle so maybe/hopefully he can stay healthy, provide some leadership and score 20 goals (maybe I am dreaming here).  In a couple years if we are much more competitive and if he is still a boat anchor then maybe a buyout is the way to go, the cost wouldn't be as painful with only 2 years left. 

There is zero chance  #5 is given up for PLD... zero!

And there is also zero rush in moving Gallagher today for cap relief. We aren't up against it.

More relief next year with Pitlick Hofmann and edmudson off the books at 9 million total...

PLD for FLA 1st, Beck and Dvorak(cost 1st and 3rd) or 1st in 2024, 2nd 2023 and Dvorak. 

That's it... or switch out Beck for Farell or any prospect NOT on the big team yet and not named Hutson, Mailloux, Engstrom Roy, Kidney or #5.... IMO

27 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

And there is also zero rush in moving Gallagher today for cap relief. We aren't up against it.

More relief next year with Pitlick Hofmann and edmudson off the books at 9 million total...

PLD for FLA 1st, Beck and Dvorak(cost 1st and 3rd) or 1st in 2024, 2nd 2023 and Dvorak. 

That's it... or switch out Beck for Farell or any prospect NOT on the big team yet and not named Hutson, Mailloux, Engstrom Roy, Kidney or #5.... IMO

Is Kidney projected to be better than Beck? Not sure if I’d want to move Beck. I’d rather stick to the FLA 1st + Anderson or Dvorak, otherwise pass on PLD.  Not sure I’d want to give that many assets for a guy who may never be anything more than a 60-65 point guy, but wants between $8m-$9m.

59 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I prefer to give Mesar up instead of Beck, I really like Beck

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Darren Dreger is reporting Montreal said they won’t be extorted in a trade for PLD and is willing to wait until next year and he is an UFA.

Probably posturing, but if PLD wants to really be a Hab, his contract decisions, rather lack thereof, this off-season will dictate how serious he wants to be a Hab. Let’s see if both parties will be willing to wait.  Sucks for Winnipeg though, takes all bargaining power away.

• Like 1

I wonder if Monahan and FLAs 1st for PLD would work.

WPG gets a solid 2C prime for a bounce year at a discount and a late 1st

MTL get a great center to share the load with Suzuki for years to come

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I wonder if Monahan and FLAs 1st for PLD would work.

WPG gets a solid 2C prime for a bounce year at a discount and a late 1st

MTL get a great center to share the load with Suzuki for years to come

I seriously doubt that Hughes signs a player who wanted to be in montreal so much that he forgoes an opportunity to hear offers from other teams and then immediately trades him ... bad for future business.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I seriously doubt that Hughes signs a player who wanted to be in montreal so much that he forgoes an opportunity to hear offers from other teams and then immediately trades him ... bad for future business.

MoneyHands would be going to a cup contender though

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

MoneyHands would be going to a cup contender though

Winnipeg is not a cup contender once Dubois, hellebuyck and scheifele have all been traded. 

Plus its silliness to think Monahan took a deal to be traded before the season even starts. 

3 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

... PLD for FLA 1st, Beck and Dvorak(cost 1st and 3rd) or 1st in 2024, 2nd 2023 and Dvorak ...

Dangerous to use what has turned out to be a bad trade as the basis for valuing that player in a possible trade ... not certain Dvorak could bring even a solitary first on the open market at the moment.

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

But this cap space isn't worth trading 5th IMO.

Fully agreed. If the 5th is traded, we have to get some talent for it. Getting some additional cap space does not have a lot of value for the Habs, at least not for now.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed, plus that wouldn't be enough for Winnipeg. 

Thanks for the great discussion all! This site is the best.

I agree that its not a good trade because we dont really need to unload Gallagher yet.

If we really needed that capspace in a hurry I think it would cost alot though.

If we buy out gallagher in two years how long and how much will we pay?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Fully agreed. If the 5th is traded, we have to get some talent for it. Getting some additional cap space does not have a lot of value for the Habs, at least not for now.

Agreed ... but I don't believe there has been a post suggesting using the 5th just to get rid Gallagher.

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Darren Dreger is reporting Montreal said they won’t be extorted in a trade for PLD and is willing to wait until next year and he is an UFA.

Probably posturing, but if PLD wants to really be a Hab, his contract decisions, rather lack thereof, this off-season will dictate how serious he wants to be a Hab. Let’s see if both parties will be willing to wait.  Sucks for Winnipeg though, takes all bargaining power away.

And that is exactly the approach I would expect from Hughes. He either gets Dubois at the price he wants or he walks/waits.  Cheveldayoff does not have the leverage here. 

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

And that is exactly the approach I would expect from Hughes. He either gets Dubois at the price he wants or he walks/waits.  Cheveldayoff does not have the leverage here. 

that was my take too, the FLA 1st and Habs' second best center if healthy

49 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Dangerous to use what has turned out to be a bad trade as the basis for valuing that player in a possible trade ... not certain Dvorak could bring even a solitary first on the open market at the moment.

And we gave up a first and a 2nd😡
I didn’t even think he was worth a 1st when we got him.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Karlsson just put up 100 points and is a Norris finalist.

The contract means they wont get full value for him but hes not a player they are dumping for bad contracts 

I think this is really unrealistic.

In a sense it does sound somewhat unrealistic, but I don't believe that it is as crazy as it sounds.  The cap barely went up and most teams are cap crunched so there are very few teams that could take him, and none are "contenders".

The Sharks are in a full rebuild and Karlssons contract is a bad contract itself.  Give the Sharks Flor 1st, 2 dman prospects (other than Hutson, Mailloux, Engstrom), and 3 players who would be moveable at the tradeline in the last year of their contracts for 2nd or 3rd rnd picks.  The Sharks would get 6 prospects and be free of spending $30 mil.  Sharks would end up with 1 1st rnd pick, 2 2nds and 1 3rd + 2 dmen is likely higher than what another team would be willing to give them.  The Habs wouldnt miss any of those players and could use Karlsson.