Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

If the money would work, I'd offer Allen. 

Maybe Allen, Norlinder, 2nd for Broberg and one of Warren Foegele or Ryan McLeod could work. 

I could be talked into a different prospect than Norlinder too... though not a premium one. 

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Maybe Allen, Norlinder, 2nd for Broberg and one of Warren Foegele or Ryan McLeod could work. 

I could be talked into a different prospect than Norlinder too... though not a premium one. 

Me too ... if they could make the money work ... expect it would be Foegele ... but I think that still doesn't balance the cap ... might have to include Kulak and Barron to make the dollars work ... but then I don't know what Hughes' motivation would be other than losing baron to solve the 3-goalie situation.

50 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Broberg is a terrific skater and I like his skillset, but we are so deep at LD.

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Broberg is a terrific skater and I like his skillset, but we are so deep at LD.

$64,000 Question is, other than Guhle, what Habs' LD prospect has more upside than Broberg?  

48 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

$64,000 Question is, other than Guhle, what Habs' LD prospect has more upside than Broberg?  

Matheson, Guhle, Hutson, Harris and Xhekaj are our top-5 on LD.  If you were to slot Broberg in there, it would be Broberg/Harris.  I would give the edge to Broberg, some may disagree, but that's fine. 

Realistically, Broberg is an improvement short-term, but in a few years when Hutson matures, Broberg is either bottom pair or 7th defenceman depending on if Matheson becomes expendable.  Any move with Broberg makes Xhekaj expendable even if Harris is on RD.  If the price is right, it's a problem I wouldn't mind having.

I firmly believe Broberg is another Petry situation where Edmonton's defense is so bad, there's no way he could look competent.  Whichever team gets him is getting a decent-to-good defenseman that's being squandered in Edmonton.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Perhaps Lane Hutson. Fair question but where would he slot in on the left side?  Matheson is likely here for 2 more years. Guhle looks like a sure fire top 4 D in the making. Arber plays a role (likely on the 3rd pair) that no one else can fill. I really like Broberg's potential but it really creates a log jam, other moves would certainly have to made because Broberg would have to play if you trade for him. 

An Oiler I really like that was mentioned earlier is Ryan Mcleod. Terrific skater who has struggled offensively this year. I think a perfect bottom 6 guy on the right team. 

I think if you have a chance to get Broberg for one of the goalies and spare parts, you do it and figure out what other defencemen to move afterwards.   Having too much talent shouldn't be an issue. 

Hutson may have higher upside than Broberg, but he's two steps below the NHL right now.  There is going to be at least a full season in the AHL ahead of him next year.  And there is no guarantee he makes it. 

Xhekaj and Struble can stay in the AHL, while you run Matheson, Guhle, and Broberg on the left for now, and other injuries could happen. 

I'm not saying to overpay for the guy, but he absolutely could be a good reclamation project ala Dach and Newhook, just on defence, and he's from the same draft too.  For the right price you do it and figure out who are your best defenders down the road. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think if you have a chance to get Broberg for one of the goalies and spare parts, you do it and figure out what other defencemen to move afterwards.   

If you can get Broberg for Allen or Primeau and spare parts than I would certainly jump all over it. I just don't think we get him that cheap BUT the Oilers are not finishing the year with Campbell/Skinner in goal and desperate teams don't make great decisions. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think if you have a chance to get Broberg for one of the goalies and spare parts, you do it and figure out what other defencemen to move afterwards.   Having too much talent shouldn't be an issue. 

Hutson may have higher upside than Broberg, but he's two steps below the NHL right now.  There is going to be at least a full season in the AHL ahead of him next year.  And there is no guarantee he makes it. 

Xhekaj and Struble can stay in the AHL, while you run Matheson, Guhle, and Broberg on the left for now, and other injuries could happen. 

I'm not saying to overpay for the guy, but he absolutely could be a good reclamation project ala Dach and Newhook, just on defence, and he's from the same draft too.  For the right price you do it and figure out who are your best defenders down the road. 

19 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If you can get Broberg for Allen or Primeau and spare parts than I would certainly jump all over it. I just don't think we get him that cheap BUT the Oilers are not finishing the year with Campbell/Skinner in goal and desperate teams don't make great decisions. 

Love the intelligent discussion on this board! 

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading some of the trade proposal involving EDM, and I wanted to add this one, specially after yesterday's Allen performance in WPG.

The trade would be:

To MTL: Holloway ($0.925M until 2024) & Campbell ($3.85M until 2027 if buried in the AHL, $5M/yr otherwise)

To EDM: Allen ($3.85M until 2025) & Ylonen ($0.775M until 2024)

Montreal reunites Holloway and Caufield, and add top-6 talent to their young group. Campbell can be left in Laval the remainder of the year, and bought out for $1.5M/yr until 2027. He would be a good emergency recall if they have goaltender injuries.

They get a bottom-6 forward that may do well in manged minutes for them. Edmonton also gets a goalie at a lower cap hit and shorter term than Campbell; Allen may be open to go to Edmonton and be half of a 1A-AB tandem. They have had too many "Really Bad Starts" (RBS) this season but did better last year. I think a tamdem of Skinner/Allen may work for the Oilers::

image.png

By trading Campbell to MTL, he would have a chance to earn a spot with a team by performing well in Laval, without the pressure of competing for a cup if he makes the NHL roster. The Habs would get more stability behind the D prospects in Laval.

On 11/10/2023 at 7:22 PM, Peter Puck said:

Clearly the Oilers are looking for a new goalie.  I think they would want Jake Allen since he is reasonably proven.  There aren't many other choices around the league that are cheap enough and established enough for them to go after.

[...]

On 11/10/2023 at 7:49 PM, GHT120 said:

Allen has a 7-team NTC, and Hughes has indicated (if I recall) that he told Allen he is not on the market ... so the first question is whether Allen wants to leave Montreal.

[...]

On 11/10/2023 at 9:04 PM, dlbalr said:

[...]

I actually think Edmonton is shooting higher right now.  I believe they inquired about Binnington in St. Louis and Ullmark in Boston with Campbell being a matching piece as part of those offers.  Does Allen really move the needle that much that they'd move a key future piece for him?  I don't think that's their Plan A.

image.png

I have no interest in Campbell's contract unless the Oilers are paying a serious, serious premium for us to take it. 

That is not close to what it would cost to have Campbell on the books (or even to buy him out)

Also a buyout would have him on the books until 2030, not 2027.  He has 3 years on his contract AFTER this season, so a buyout would be 6 years of cap hits. 

That means the cost to take him on better be astronomical, If every 5-6 million in cap hit is a first rounder (as seen by previous trades, ie buyout of Marleau, our trade for Monahan, and others).... then Campbell has to be worth at least 3 first rounders on top of what you are getting for Allen and Ylonen.

20 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I was reading some of the trade proposal involving EDM, and I wanted to add this one, specially after yesterday's Allen performance in WPG.

The trade would be:

To MTL: Holloway ($0.925M until 2024) & Campbell ($3.85M until 2027 if buried in the AHL, $5M/yr otherwise)

Montreal reunites Holloway and Caufield, and add top-6 talent to their young group. Campbell can be left in Laval the remainder of the year, and bought out for $1.5M/yr until 2027. He would be a good emergency recall if they have goaltender injuries.

They get a bottom-6 forward that may do well in manged minutes for them. Edmonton also gets a goalie at a lower cap hit and shorter term than Campbell; Allen may be open to go to Edmonton and be half of a 1A-AB tandem.

Certainly Holloway is the Oiler prospect I would target and would like to get him.  However I would want more especially if I was adding Ylonen whose value has increased this year, he has really impressed me at times. Campbell's contract would really hurt in a couple years when some of the young guys need new contracts. The return is not enough to take on his contract. I think the Oilers do this trade in a heartbeat. 

I would like to find a way to get Holloway without taking on Campbell's contract though. The Oilers will do something. Their recent 8 game winning streak may have bought Holland some time but there is no way they are going into the playoffs with a tandem of Campbell/Skinner. 

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Certainly Holloway is the Oiler prospect I would target and would like to get him.  However I would want more especially if I was adding Ylonen whose value has increased this year, he has really impressed me at times. Campbell's contract would really hurt in a couple years when some of the young guys need new contracts. The return is not enough to take on his contract. I think the Oilers do this trade in a heartbeat. 

I would like to find a way to get Holloway without taking on Campbell's contract though. The Oilers will do something. Their recent 8 game winning streak may have bought Holland some time but there is no way they are going into the playoffs with a tandem of Campbell/Skinner. 

I looked at other prospects, but nothing that would improve Montreal's talent pool enough to risk a trade with EDM.

It is unlikely that this proposal happens, but Allen's performance may be the beginning of a rise in interest for him from teams in need to a solid backup or "1B".

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I looked at other prospects, but nothing that would improve Montreal's talent pool enough to risk a trade with EDM.

It is unlikely that this proposal happens, but Allen's performance may be the beginning of a rise in interest for him from teams in need to a solid backup or "1B".

Hopefully Allen's value rises, I think any trade for Allen would have to be as part of a larger package deal to make the cap work. It's not easy to make trades these days. 

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The trade would be:

They get a bottom-6 forward that may do well in manged minutes for them. Edmonton also gets a goalie at a lower cap hit and shorter term than Campbell; Allen may be open to go to Edmonton and be half of a 1A-AB tandem. They have had too many "Really Bad Starts" (RBS) this season but did better last year. I think a tamdem of Skinner/Allen may work for the Oilers::

image.png

By trading Campbell to MTL, he would have a chance to earn a spot with a team by performing well in Laval, without the pressure of competing for a cup if he makes the NHL roster. The Habs would get more stability behind the D prospects in Laval.

image.png

Why in the world would we want Canpbell’s contract and be stuck with that in a couple of years when we will be pushing for the playoffs??

we need to get rid of our own bad contracts - not add more. On top of that you want yo throw in Ylonen, who could be a Lekhonan type of player?

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Exactly. I don't think a trade with Edmonton is going to happen.

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Why in the world would we want Canpbell’s contract and be stuck with that in a couple of years when we will be pushing for the playoffs??

we need to get rid of our own bad contracts - not add more. On top of that you want yo throw in Ylonen, who could be a Lekhonan type of player?

I was thinking to keep him in the AHL and to buy him out. The price to get Holloway

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I was thinking to keep him in the AHL and to buy him out. The price to get Holloway

Throw in a couple of first rounders and Hughes will at least take the call.

11 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Throw in a couple of first rounders and Hughes will at least take the call.

I see, there is a big add that splits the table I saw and I just captured the first line of the table. The heading of the table after the add made me tho k it was a regular cap hot. It is way too expensive at $9.0M over 6 years ! 
screw the Oilers !

Quoting Capfriendly: 

JACK CAMPBELLBUYOUT RESULTS

A Jack Campbell buyout spans 6 years, has a cost of $9,000,000 and savings of $4,500,000. Campbell is 32 years of age at the time of the buyout; therefore, the buyout ratio is 2/3. With $13,500,000 in salary remaining, the cost is $9,000,000, and the savings are $4,500,000. Buyouts span twice the length of the remaining years and because there are 3 years remaining in the contract, the buyout length is 6 years. The buyout cap hit is displayed in the Cap Hit Calculations table below

On 12/19/2023 at 3:09 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think any trade for Allen would have to be as part of a larger package deal to make the cap work. It's not easy to make trades these days. 

It all depends on the team.

Random thought ... might Hughes have agreed to not trade Allen until after the New Year ... Habs are back in town tomorrow ... Allen could get the game on the 28th in Carolina and be back home the next day to continue the holidays with his family.