ok, I will put my potato neck on the chopping block:

I would keep Bergeving and Ducharme for next season

Man, it is so seldom that I am right that I had to quote myself

Potato-neck saved for one more season 😅

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Man, it is so seldom that I am right that I had to quote myself

Potato-neck saved for one more season 😅

If the Habs were to win the Cup ... I would not be surprised to see MB step away ... unlikely to top that

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Just checking this thread to see if there is any activity 

what I thought ...

I’ll bite. They did fire Al McNeil after winning the cup in 71’

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If the Habs were to win the Cup ... I would not be surprised to see MB step away ... unlikely to top that

I could see that - if Molson punted himself and made MB the president.

7 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I could see that - if Molson punted himself and made MB the president.

Maybe then. But if I’m MB, I want to hang around and savour. You can have 2-3 years of status as a god after a win, why leave?

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Maybe then. But if I’m MB, I want to hang around and savour. You can have 2-3 years of status as a god after a win, why leave?

I could sort of see him walk away if they win the cup, but then again its way more likely he'd stay.  I disagree with him staying to savor and enjoy having a God status.  He'd stay and attempt to repeat it numerous times. 

The players he has signed long term could potentially win numerous times before their contracts expire.  i.e. they could win 2-3 times over the next 3-5 yrs.  If you were the GM and setup a potential dynasty would you really leave?  Its very unlikely.   

If the Habs manage to win 3 times in 5 years MB would be considered 1 of the best GMs of all time.  

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He looks much more strained this year than I’ve ever seen him. As someone whose dealt with a lot of health issues - a lot of which were made worse by work-related stress, you get to the point where you feel a job isn’t worth your health. So if he gets bumped up in a president role, I could see him moving on. With a year remaining I don’t see him just leaving to go elsewhere though, unless he was fired.

24 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I could sort of see him walk away if they win the cup, but then again its way more likely he'd stay.  I disagree with him staying to savor and enjoy having a God status.  He'd stay and attempt to repeat it numerous times. 

The players he has signed long term could potentially win numerous times before their contracts expire.  i.e. they could win 2-3 times over the next 3-5 yrs.  If you were the GM and setup a potential dynasty would you really leave?  Its very unlikely.   

If the Habs manage to win 3 times in 5 years MB would be considered 1 of the best GMs of all time.  

I’m savouring this year, but I don’t think we will be a multiple cup win team with this D and going back to our regular conference. This is a unique situation- as I said at the start of the year, should not let it go to waste!

25 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’m savouring this year, but I don’t think we will be a multiple cup win team with this D and going back to our regular conference. This is a unique situation- as I said at the start of the year, should not let it go to waste!

Who says it will return to the regular Conference?  I agree that the D are weak, but he can address that in the offseason.  MB does have numerous key guys that show up in big games signed long term.  Thats why I say they win this year and it wasnt a fluke then they likely have a good chance of repeating several times.  

I'm somewhat expecting the off season to be really weird.  MB probably wont have to do much work to improve the team.   I'm thinking agents will be contacting him.  I wouldn't be surprised if a UFA fires their agent and hires Froliks because they heard a rumour that he has the inside scoop of getting somebody on the Habs.  

There will still be work to be done in the off-season. Tatar is surely gone. Drouin is unknown. Can we keep Danault? Someone will be taken by Seattle. And what will our D pairs look like?

I am afraid Drouin may be a case like Richer where he may be lost to mental illness

or maybe someone in his family is going Through something made worst by the pandemic

either way, it is difficult to count him in for next season or to leave him unprotected because of his talent

MB has a great opportunity to finish his re-tool give the number of UFAs and Alzner’s cap hit coming down

even if we loose Allen or a defenseman, they have good depth for the regular season. And a good prospect pool and extra draft picks to trade for top defensemen

I am optimistic for next season if MB is not fired. I am less optimistic if a new GM comes in, because of the churn in staff and roster expected if that happens

14 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Delete Thread.

Nah!

we’ll need it for the first month next season when Price will have a slow start and the power play will be scoreless 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yup, I think this thread is not really applicable now.  The kids have looked great, the veterans he acquired are doing great. If MB doesn't come back it will be only  because he doesn't want to. His moves have worked out. 

In hindsight its pretty wild and I've said this before but its like all of the moves he did needed to be done or they wouldn't be in this position right now. 

At the trade deadline, with their cap space it didnt seem like the Habs would be able to bring in anybody.  Yet MB goes out and gets 3 guys.  People can say bad things about Merrill, Gustafsson and Staal - and they typically are right. 

However, all 3 of those players were needed, and that was just to make the playoffs.   After all,  team needs to get in to win!! 

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think it’s possible that Bergevin retires. He is looking old and he puts up with a lot of crazy nonsense. 

Possible, but not likely, he's only 55. He'll look younger once he gets a haircut once again. 😄

On 6/6/2021 at 10:01 PM, GHT120 said:

I don't think that would ever happen. What do former hockey players do after their playing days are over? For most, their first choice is to get a hockey related job. There are 31 GM jobs and slightly less president positions in the NHL so if you have one, and you've finally arrived at a level where you've just had your first genuine hockey success and everyone is talking about how good a job you've done, I don't think you walk away. What is he going to do for the next 15-20 years. Guys like him enjoy the completion and the action. I don't think he's ready to retire. Other than being made president, and if I'm Molson I keep MB where he is best equipped and prepared to be successful, I think MB stays for as long as he can. 

1 hour ago, REV-G said:

I think MB stays for as long as he can. 

Maybe Leafs will clean house and make him offer he cant refuse.:nuts:

the narrative that MB has ulterior motives, or an agenda, is pure trolling.

MB has repeatedly stated and shown in his actions that what he cares about is building a cup winning team and to repeat for contention multiple times.

his best transactions, signings and hirings as well as his worst show that he is not affraid to make the decisions to achieve that goal.

and if you want to mention Sylvain Lefevre, Drouin for Sergachev, Markov, Alzner or whatever.... even in those awful cases he kept actively trying to improve the team.

M stays because he has done the job, and he leaves when he is willing to look for another chanlenge.