Round 2, Game 2 Habs vs Jets 7:30PM ET

JoeLassister

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Fun show ... really enjoyed it

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

If you don't like seeing Gustafsson play, then you wont like the next 2-3 years because I'm thinking its likely that MB resigns him.

If Ducharme can improve his defensive play a bit, his offensive capabilities could be a great complement to our existing hulking D-men.

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

If Ducharme can improve his defensive play a bit, his offensive capabilities could be a great complement to our existing hulking D-men.

I'm wondering the same thing, i.e. if he is remotely coachable and can be instructed to not do cute sh*t with the puck out at the blue line on a PP.  He totally shouldn't need to be told that - he should damn well already know better, but it is important if he listens and learns from his mistakes.  However, in the 3 games vs T.O. he didnt make any huge blunders.  

On that Game 7 PP it was crazy and this was a big part of why I didn't even realize Perry was on the ice with them:  it was Gustafsson, with Caulfield, Toffoli, + Suzuki & Perry scores.  That's an absolutely lethal PP Unit.  We need to see more of that!!  It's like the Habs put 5 forwards out for a PP -and at least 4 of them have elite offensive hockey IQ's.  

33 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Merrill's out for another week or so with some sort of injury. 

Thanks ... slipped my mind ... so Romanov is below a guy who gave away a SHG that let the jets back into the game ... and was benched for almost the last period and a half ... and isn't even trusted to play 8:30 minutes per game ... makes me very concerned about Romanov.

5 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm wondering the same thing, i.e. if he is remotely coachable and can be instructed to not do cute sh*t with the puck out at the blue line on a PP ... 

Not many players turn their games around at 29.

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The way they are sheltering him, they have no faith in gustafsson either and will be looking for someone else in the off-season.  I'm really surprised he's even back in tonight. 

They do need to micromanage his ice time, but he wasnt in game shape in regular season and likely still isnt because he dint play in the 1st 3 games of the playoffs.

Seriously, think about the PP line of:  Gustafsson, with Caulfield, Toffoli, Suzuki & Perry.  Thats a nutbar combo of scorers.  They should score 90%+ of the time.  People say that he cant repeat his 60 pts outlier season, but that Habs PP line is vastly superior to his old Hawks linemates.  The only way to find out if he can is to play him, and if they do he'll certainly make up for that stupid goal.  

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Thanks ... slipped my mind ... so Romanov is below a guy who gave away a SHG that let the jets back into the game ... and was benched for almost the last period and a half ... and isn't even trusted to play 8:30 minutes per game ... makes me very concerned about Romanov.

While you're right Gustafsson did give the puck away that lead to the goal, it wasn't totally his fault.  He passed to 2 players, including Caufield, that refused to shoot the puck.  I would expect Caufield in that one-timer spot to crank it, as did Gustafsson, instead of passing it back.  They got caught overpassing and Gustafsson was on the wrong end of a bad play because of it.  Not absolving him of the turnover, just putting it into context.

8 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

While you're right Gustafsson did give the puck away that lead to the goal, it wasn't totally his fault.  He passed to 2 players, including Caufield, that refused to shoot the puck.  I would expect Caufield in that one-timer spot to crank it, as did Gustafsson, instead of passing it back.  They got caught overpassing and Gustafsson was on the wrong end of a bad play because of it.  Not absolving him of the turnover, just putting it into context.

Great explanation.  I totally agree.  Gustafsson thinks several steps ahead so he was likely calculating where Caufield's shot would deflect off the boards if it missed the net.  He was not expecting to get the puck back at all and that totally through him off guard.  That is probably what his entire issue is.  i.e. when a play doesn't work out they way he sees it unfolding then things can go very wrong.  He's betting on his instincts being right.  

Who just mauled Caufield?

Armia and Perry with several great chances.

I imagine Armia scores several in this series, and have a feeling that Chiarot will probably get 1 too.  Speaking of former teams, there's a great chance that Benn will cause a Habs goal.  

I’m eating a little crow.. thought Staal should have been benched before game 1.. but that line with Perry and Armia has been dynamite. Just gotta get one! 

41 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm wondering the same thing, i.e. if he is remotely coachable and can be instructed to not do cute sh*t with the puck out at the blue line on a PP.  He totally shouldn't need to be told that - he should damn well already know better, but it is important if he listens and learns from his mistakes.  However, in the 3 games vs T.O. he didnt make any huge blunders.  

On that Game 7 PP it was crazy and this was a big part of why I didn't even realize Perry was on the ice with them:  it was Gustafsson, with Caulfield, Toffoli, + Suzuki & Perry scores.  That's an absolutely lethal PP Unit.  We need to see more of that!!  It's like the Habs put 5 forwards out for a PP -and at least 4 of them have elite offensive hockey IQ's.  

would they actually be any worse defensively going with 5 forwards instead?